HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Concerts on HDM Thread

Old 01-31-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Concerts on HDM Thread

I'm really getting addicted to concerts on HDM. I just picked up the Blu-Ray version of Justin Timberlake's Madison Square Garden concert for $20+tax. The people that went to see him probably paid close to $100 and some of those people were so far up you can't even tell it's JT, so for me it's better on HDM on a big screen TV instead of live. I can watch it unlimitedly and I can skip to the song I want. And the tons of extras...

Anyone else picked this up or any other concert on DVD? I got coming the Beyonce one, the Child's Destiny one, the Shakira one, and the Celine Dion Vegas one (nope, never went to see it and I live in Vegas).

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-31-08 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The David Gilmour "Remember That Night" concert Blu-ray is phenomenal. Any Pink Floyd fan has to pick this up.
Old 01-31-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem for me is that it seems that most of them are artists I don't care for, like the ones Gatordeb mentioned, Dave Matthews Band, Toto, etc. I have The Last Waltz, The Song Remains the Same, and U2: Rattle and Hum though, if we're including concert films.

I probably should get the David Gilmour disc. Is his solo material good?
Old 02-01-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Heart Alive in Seattle is great. Dolby True-HD
Old 02-01-08, 01:49 AM

The David Gilmore concert is awesome! He does tons of Pink Floyd songs and his solo stuff is very very good. It sounds amazing through a HDMI capable A/V reciever. Some of the best sound quality I have ever heard in my entire life. It doesn't get much better. The only negative is that it is only a 1080i transfer, but it still looks really great. The sound is flawless though.
Old 02-01-08, 06:18 AM

The NINE INCH NAILS title is one of my favorites! Great picture & sound (and it's available in Blu & HD for both sides to love! - also has all the bonus features that were on the sd release!)

Also the Alice Cooper Montreaux is a good one (although in 1080I)... (and a bummer about the Alice title is the sd release came with a bonus cd with part of the concert on it - the blu ray does not)
Old 02-01-08, 04:09 PM
Cool New Member

The Queen Live From Montreal & Live Aid is a fantastic Blu-ray disc! The PQ is outstanting for being a concert from 1981 and the AQ is bitchin' too!
Old 02-01-08, 04:27 PM

I have "The Eagles Live in Melbourne: Farewell Tour I" HD-DVD. It looks incredible. I also have "Elton John 60th Birthday at Madison Square Garden" which also looks great. I also have Justin Timberlake, which looks good, but not as good as the other two.

Interesting, gumpaholic, the review for your Queen Blu-ray said the picture quality was not good at all.
Old 02-01-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean the Elton John one looks better than the JT one?

Pick-up for sure, then.
Old 02-08-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking at the Elton John one now. Awesome quality. I'm REALLY getting into HDM concerts. Did anyone notice all the dust on the piano? You'd think someone would sweep it a little before the show
Old 02-08-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want some Rush in HD.
Old 02-08-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

John Legend at the House of Blues, just discovered him while at a friend's party and they had it playing on their suped-up HD equipment. I spent way more time watching that show than mingling (very rude BTW). I plan to purchase it this month.
Old 02-08-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've came extremely close to buying the NiN one, but just can't justify it. I almost never watch my concert DVDs. If I could find it used and cheap, I'd probably bite tho'.
Old 02-08-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bearkiss
The NINE INCH NAILS title is one of my favorites! Great picture & sound (and it's available in Blu & HD for both sides to love! - also has all the bonus features that were on the sd release!)

Also the Alice Cooper Montreaux is a good one (although in 1080I)... (and a bummer about the Alice title is the sd release came with a bonus cd with part of the concert on it - the blu ray does not)
Those are the only two concert BDs I have so far. NIN looks and sounds incredible, I've rewatched it (or at least parts of it) many times. Alice Cooper was a pleasant surprise. I didn't know what to expect, and I found almost no reviews on it. But I took a chance with it, and the picture looks great, it's a very nice high def release (1080i yes, but as long as your TV does a good job at deinterlacing, it's not really an issue at all). I highly recommend it to Alice fans.