Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will WB's Blu-ray decision impact Criterion?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Will WB's Blu-ray decision impact Criterion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerborus
The film already looks great on DVD. It doesn't need HD to look even greater. I mean, cool if it does, but again, DVD is good enough for me.
Remind us why you're posting in the HD Talk forum, then.
Old 02-03-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
You probably could have said the same thing about DVD a year after its launch.
It was true of most everyone I knew 3-4 years into the life of DVD. Considering how willing Criterion owners are to double dip on slight increases in quality with the DVDs, I'm betting many of them will want to make the jump for major increases in quality on Blu-ray.
Old 02-03-08, 11:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Obviously, I should have been more specific. I meant Episode 3 when I said 'Star Wars'. Whoops. I guess the vitriol can be retracted now.
There was no vitriol to my statement. I can point out the flaws in your arguments without making things personal.

Also, you all miss the point. My point was that I don't watch Casablanca to see visual clarity. The story is what makes the movie good not the transfer. It's good on VHS, TV, DVD, whatever. I just couldn't care less if it's in HD or not. It's not a movie that requires visual clarity. In fact, I prefer it to look grainy, old and nostalgic. I never meant that they can't look great in HD, I mean I just don't care. DVD is good enough for me.
I think you're missing the point. You're posting in an HD forum and saying DVD is good enough for you. That's great, but obviously DVD isn't good enough for the people posting here. Also, your point about Casablanca being great for the story can be said of any movie worth watching, including Star Wars. Why is Star Wars worthy of being shown in HD and Casablanca isn't? Casablanca is the better film, it should get more attention paid to it. And if it's not about visual clarity, how about all those stunning shots of Ingrid Bergman?

You clearly have a different set of priorities. That is fine. Just remember where it is your posting. To me, your argument sounds absurd. But to you, it makes sense. Let's all just agree to disagree and you can continue to enjoy all those Criterions already out, and still coming out on DVD.
Old 02-03-08, 11:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Could Criterion release a Blu-ray of lets say Rushmore without Disney's (I think thats who owns the rights) approval? I know they have approval for the DVD, but does that include the Blu-ray format as well?
Old 02-03-08, 11:49 PM
Banned by request

I might be wrong about this, but I do believe Criterion would have to re-license all of the films that aren't owned by Image.
Old 02-03-08, 11:59 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I might be wrong about this, but I do believe Criterion would have to re-license all of the films that aren't owned by Image.
Hmm, so there is a chance there would be additional fees then in releasing these titles on Blu-ray...Damn. I want my Rushmore, Chasing Amy and Life Aquatic.
Old 02-04-08, 12:09 AM
Banned by request

Added expense? No. They had to pay to license the movies for DVD, so the expense was already there.
Old 02-04-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
...because niche markets can be profitable even if they aren't large. Criterion wouldn't exist otherwise.

You're making it into an all-or-nothing proposition, and it doesn't have to be that way. There isn't a single studio that exclusively releases in high-def -- what's your concern in Criterion potentially releasing on both Blu-ray and DVD? They're not going to stop making DVDs, so since you're happy with your DVD collection, you're not losing anything on your investment. If they release on both, you get what you want, and I get what I want. What's wrong with that?

No one's looking down on you for saying you'd just as soon stick with DVD. It's a perfectly reasonably stance to take. I don't buy your statements about Casablanca, though.
If it isn't an all or nothing stance then why aren't they releasing HD-DVD now?
Old 02-04-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Remind us why you're posting in the HD Talk forum, then.
I didn't. I posted in DVD talk. The mod moved it here.
Old 02-04-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
It was true of most everyone I knew 3-4 years into the life of DVD. Considering how willing Criterion owners are to double dip on slight increases in quality with the DVDs, I'm betting many of them will want to make the jump for major increases in quality on Blu-ray.
And it was the opposite for me. I was the last person I knew to go DVD. As I said, I had a large VHS collection...

This is one Criterion collector who will not double dip into Blu-ray.
Old 02-04-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
There was no vitriol to my statement. I can point out the flaws in your arguments without making things personal.

I think you're missing the point. You're posting in an HD forum and saying DVD is good enough for you. That's great, but obviously DVD isn't good enough for the people posting here. Also, your point about Casablanca being great for the story can be said of any movie worth watching, including Star Wars. Why is Star Wars worthy of being shown in HD and Casablanca isn't? Casablanca is the better film, it should get more attention paid to it. And if it's not about visual clarity, how about all those stunning shots of Ingrid Bergman?

You clearly have a different set of priorities. That is fine. Just remember where it is your posting. To me, your argument sounds absurd. But to you, it makes sense. Let's all just agree to disagree and you can continue to enjoy all those Criterions already out, and still coming out on DVD.
Again, I didn't post this here. Twas moved in by a mod.

Star Wars is a movie made for visual pleasure. Certainly Episode 3 is no Casablanca story wise. You watch star wars to watch lightsabres and spaceships. You watch Casablanca for the wonderful acting and writing. I think you can see for yourself that there is an obvious difference in the 2 movies.

The stunning shots of Bergman are still stunning on VHS and DVD. Having her looking like she's coming out of my tv doesn't make them any better. To me that is.
Old 02-04-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
If it isn't an all or nothing stance then why aren't they releasing HD-DVD now?
Well, I don't think they'll release on HD DVD at all, but as for Blu-ray...? Because they don't think the niche is big enough for it to be profitable quite yet. I think they will in the next year/year and a half, though.

I don't really understand the argument, though. If you don't want to buy any Criterion movies in high-def, then don't. Why the flurry of responses? You don't have to justify your purchasing practices to anyone else. Criterion releasing something in high-def doesn't diminish what you're interested in.
Old 02-05-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Hmm, so there is a chance there would be additional fees then in releasing these titles on Blu-ray...Damn. I want my Rushmore, Chasing Amy and Life Aquatic.
Probably be better just for Disney to release it. You can pick up The Rock blu-ray which includes the Criterion extras for $19.95. That's cheaper than the Criterion DVD.
Old 02-05-08, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The stunning shots of Bergman are still stunning on VHS and DVD. Having her looking like she's coming out of my tv doesn't make them any better. To me that is.

If you prefer to watch your movies in blurry mediums, that's certainly your prerogative. You might want to consider going to your local theater and asking if they are exhibiting anything misframed or blurry this week.

However, you are posting in HIGH DEFINITION TALK and your posts crossed the line between reasonable conversation and trolling about 6 posts ago. You are not going to win this argument, and it's time to move on. You aren't adding anything positive to the topic at hand.
Old 02-05-08, 08:25 AM

DamingR, did you actually read what Kerborus posted? He said he didn't post in this forum (twice!), it was moved here by a mod. Way to jump all over a guy for something he didn't do...

Last edited by vcuram; 02-05-08 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-05-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by vcuram
DamingR, did you actually read what Kerborus posted? He said he didn't post in this forum (twice!), it was moved here by a mod. Way to jump all over a guy for something he didn't do...

He may not have initially posted here, but many of the responses were done so after the move. It's not like he didn't know where he was posting.

The argument is bizarre to me. It's like he's making an arbitrary choice on what deserves to be on HDM. I guess special effects and visual movies are okay in his estimation, but more story based films like Casablanca "don't need it". I get that he may not choose to upgrade certain titles, but the blanket statement is overreaching and started to be trollsome. And I think he didn't quite realized that everything can benefit from HD, not just recent movies or stuff shot digitally.

As to Criterion, they'll do whatever they choose to do. Speculation on that by posters here doesn't really matter. Some of it may be right, but in the end Criterion will make a decision based on their company's best interests. Although I do find a bit of irony in that Criterion has always been a niche company, be it releasing on Laserdisc or obscure DVDs. The fact that HDM is a niche market just seems like a good pairing. But that's just my observations.
Old 02-05-08, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jericho
The argument is bizarre to me.
Oh, I definitely agree.
Old 02-05-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I don't think they'll release on HD DVD at all, but as for Blu-ray...? Because they don't think the niche is big enough for it to be profitable quite yet. I think they will in the next year/year and a half, though.

I don't really understand the argument, though. If you don't want to buy any Criterion movies in high-def, then don't. Why the flurry of responses? You don't have to justify your purchasing practices to anyone else. Criterion releasing something in high-def doesn't diminish what you're interested in.
Ok , last few posts, because some of you can't handle civil debate it seems. DVD is not blurry. You are greatly exagerating to make your point. MY DVD of Casablanca looks awesome.

I'm just responding to answer questions, not to bother you. The fear was that Criterion would abandon DVD in favor of Blu-ray. That's the OT for my post, not whether one is better than the other.
Old 02-05-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The fear was that Criterion would abandon DVD in favor of Blu-ray. That's the OT for my post, not whether one is better than the other.
Since I think we can all agree that the answer is "no" and that the rest of this back and forth really isn't doing anyone any good, I'll go ahead and close this.
Old 02-05-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DamingR
If you prefer to watch your movies in blurry mediums, that's certainly your prerogative. You might want to consider going to your local theater and asking if they are exhibiting anything misframed or blurry this week.

However, you are posting in HIGH DEFINITION TALK and your posts crossed the line between reasonable conversation and trolling about 6 posts ago. You are not going to win this argument, and it's time to move on. You aren't adding anything positive to the topic at hand.
Again, DVD is not blurry. Maybe you need glasses. The only trollish post I see here is yours, because you are not even talking on topic. Keep moving if you can't control your temper. Honestly, I didn't know the thread had been moved until someone pointed it out, but I didn't know that you would get so rattled by a contrary opinion.
Old 02-05-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since I think we can all agree that the answer is "no" and that the rest of this back and forth really isn't doing anyone any good, I'll go ahead and close this.
Ok.