Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does quality of HDMI cable really make a difference?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Does quality of HDMI cable really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exm
And you're not biased towards monoprice right?
I'm not. I'm biased toward my wallet. If I am offered two products of equal quality (BJ cables versus Monoprice cables, for example), I will choose the less expensive one. I'm not foolish or snobbish enough to believe that spending more makes me a better person than the next guy.
Old 01-30-08, 11:50 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777
You're getting no appreciation because your findings didn't prove anything. A few fuzzy pics don't help justify your findings. I've said many times that I have used multiple brands of cables including BJC and MP that have not produced varying results.

I think this thread has worn out it's life and needs to be closed as all info that can be said has been said.
You said I'm getting 'no appreciation because your findings didn't prove anything'? Even if that's the case, wouldn't it be nice if people act respectful without people accusing me of being 'biased', 'not proving anything', 'Foregone conclusion', 'bigger fool'.

I said 'More to Follow' - and I just uploaded the picture to display the scene I was talking about. But no one even gave me a chance to go into further detail, or do a blind test which I planned to do: I was 'crucified' even before I could do so. Talking about foregone conclusions.

Please close the thread.
Old 01-30-08, 11:51 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I'm not foolish or snobbish enough to believe that spending more makes me a better person than the next guy.
Neither am I.
Old 01-30-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
I'm not. I'm biased toward my wallet. If I am offered two products of equal quality (BJ cables versus Monoprice cables, for example), I will choose the less expensive one. I'm not foolish or snobbish enough to believe that spending more makes me a better person than the next guy.

Exactly... BTW I OWN both kinds of cables discussed here, plus a monster one as well.
Old 01-30-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the point exm is not getting. The vast majority of people here did not start out using Monoprice. Most of us tried the other brands first before trying Monoprice. If Monoprice cables resulted in the differences that exm claimed to see, we would not still be using them. The vast majority of people on this forum and other AV forums have reached the same results - and many of these people have systems that far exceed exm's system - some are even sporting 1080p!
Old 01-30-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exm
I said 'More to Follow' - and I just uploaded the picture to display the scene I was talking about. But no one even gave me a chance to go into further detail, or do a blind test which I planned to do: I was 'crucified' even before I could do so. Talking about foregone conclusions.
exm> no one gave you a chance because w/ everything you said before your 'test', it was CRYSTAL clear you had already made up your mind.
Old 01-30-08, 01:21 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JayDerek
exm> no one gave you a chance because w/ everything you said before your 'test', it was CRYSTAL clear you had already made up your mind.
Ok, so there was no point in me ordering the monoprice cable and you guys asking if I had tested it yet, okay?

No, the fact is that the ONLY outcome you monoprice people wanted to hear is that there is NO DIFFERENCE. There is no room (even the famous 5% mentioned above) for any other opinion.

Hopefully one of the mods will close this thread sooner than later, because you guys are really starting to attack my integrity.
Old 01-30-08, 01:28 PM
Banned

Why should a thead be closed just because one person does not like the responses?

Personally I've found this thread to be quite useful as it relates to HDMI cable differences and prices. When I need them I'll be heading to Monoprice and getting me some great cables with less markup! Never heard of the site until reading this thread.

Last edited by cardaway; 01-30-08 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-30-08, 01:45 PM
Cool New Member

You still don't get the part about the 5% do you? It is not people who can see a difference, it is folks running a cable over 6ft.

If you feel that I have contributed to an attack on your integrity I apologize for that, however your dismissal of well constructed evidence as simply "articles" still seems very odd. Your testing, in comparison, was weak and in spite of what you claim, your "more to follow" was the one picture you have given us as "proof". I appreciate that you went to efforts of purchasing a cable and conducting a test, however your results were far from compelling and did little to back up your argument.
Old 01-30-08, 02:05 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Quirk Manly
If you feel that I have contributed to an attack on your integrity I apologize for that, however your dismissal of well constructed evidence as simply "articles" still seems very odd. Your testing, in comparison, was weak and in spite of what you claim, your "more to follow" was the one picture you have given us as "proof". I appreciate that you went to efforts of purchasing a cable and conducting a test, however your results were far from compelling and did little to back up your argument.
Thanks at least for something sort of positive.

Once more about my 'testing': I provided my initial replies with 'more to follow'. Someone asked me which chapter I watched on Planet Earth, so I posted that screenshot. I only posted ONE, so it had nothing to do with a comparison, just a FYI which HD DVD I primarily used for testing.

My plan was to do some more testing, including a recommend blind test, but the flood of negativity pretty much made me feel that it doesn't make sense at all.

Let's be honest: if I test more, and I come to the conclusion that there is no difference, everybody will be happy but if I stand by my initial conclusion, no one will accept it and I have to endure a 2nd round of negativity.

I am no professional tester and have no such equipment. Also, I don't care about diagrams and technical data. What matters to me is what I see or hear and that is something you can't read in a magazine, but only experience yourself.

Besides that, I also feel strongly about supporting local, American companies like BJC, instead of Chinese bulk importers like monoprice (not that this affects my opinion about the cable; but it is something that matters to me).
Old 01-30-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I don't think people would have had a problem if you said you feel the price difference was negligible, and you choose to support American made products. The problem people had was that you are attacking the other side based on signal quality, when the evidence isn't there to back up your point.

To me, I think it's great you buy American. Honestly on my future cable purchases I may go ahead and purchase BJC for that reason, but it will not be because I think they are going to produce a better picture.
Old 01-30-08, 02:22 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I don't think people would have had a problem if you said you feel the price difference was negligible, and you choose to support American made products. The problem people had was that you are attacking the other side based on signal quality, when the evidence isn't there to back up your point.

To me, I think it's great you buy American. Honestly on my future cable purchases I may go ahead and purchase BJC for that reason, but it will not be because I think they are going to produce a better picture.
It's not the primary reason to purchase BJC, but it's part of it. I can afford the extra $15 and it's a no-brainer looking at the cost of the other components in my setup, I believe it provides a better picture (which is something people here disagree with), I know which quality components - Belden - the cable is made out, it is made in the USA and their customer service is outstanding. Is all of that worth $15 extra, even taking out the video/audio quality of the cable? Absolutely IMHO!

BJC does need a new web design though
Old 01-30-08, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by exm
Besides that, I also feel strongly about supporting local, American companies like BJC, instead of Chinese bulk importers like monoprice (not that this affects my opinion about the cable; but it is something that matters to me).
Do you know BJC doesn't use Chinese parts or are you just assuming? I would be surprised if every part they used was made in the USA.
Old 01-30-08, 02:25 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cardaway
Do you know BJC doesn't use Chinese parts or are you just assuming? I would be surprised if every part they used was made in the USA.
They have Chinese cables, WHICH ARE AS INEXPENSIVE as monoprice. Their American offerings can be also be found here
"The BJC Series-1 Parallel Digital Video Cable. This is the only HDMI cable on the market incorporating bonded-pair technology; it is also, to our knowledge, the only HDMI cable made in the United States, built in Monticello, Kentucky and Richmond, Indiana. (One note: at the moment, we are having final assembly, i.e., connectorization of the cable, done under contract in China. We anticipate bringing final assembly home to the U.S. as well, but are working on production issues which have to be resolved before we can do that and still sell the cable at a reasonable, economical price.)"
Old 01-30-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is one question we receive more than any other, though, which we feel we should probably answer right here. We're often asked whether, if one is just running a short (say, 6 foot) length of HDMI cable from one device to another, without switches, couplers, relays and whatnot, there will be any quality upgrade in sound or picture from buying a higher-quality HDMI cable, or whether one should just go with something reasonably-made and economical. The answer is that, at short lengths, in the vast majority of circumstances, all non-defective HDMI cables will perform equally well (and no, it doesn't matter what spec version it is); the signal is digital and the devices don't know whether they're hooked up with a four-dollar cable or something better or pricier.
Old 01-30-08, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by exm
They have Chinese cables, WHICH ARE AS INEXPENSIVE as monoprice. Their American offerings can be also be found here
"The BJC Series-1 Parallel Digital Video Cable. This is the only HDMI cable on the market incorporating bonded-pair technology; it is also, to our knowledge, the only HDMI cable made in the United States, built in Monticello, Kentucky and Richmond, Indiana. (One note: at the moment, we are having final assembly, i.e., connectorization of the cable, done under contract in China. We anticipate bringing final assembly home to the U.S. as well, but are working on production issues which have to be resolved before we can do that and still sell the cable at a reasonable, economical price.)"
Lots of text there and not one word about where the parts come from. Assembly is one thing, where the parts come from is another.

Wouldn't surprise me if the parts they use are the same ones the other places use, and they came from Asia.
Old 01-30-08, 02:39 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lots of text there and not one word about where the parts come from. Assembly is one thing, where the parts come from is another.

Wouldn't surprise me if the parts they use are the same ones the other places use, and they came from Asia.
They use Belden cables as components. From the Belden website :
"Belden has manufacturing capabilities throughout North America and Europe and a market presence in nearly every region of the world. The Company was formed through a merger of equals between Belden Inc. and Cable Design Technologies Corp. in July 2004."
Old 01-30-08, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by exm
They use Belden cables as components. From the Belden website :
"Belden has manufacturing capabilities throughout North America and Europe and a market presence in nearly every region of the world. The Company was formed through a merger of equals between Belden Inc. and Cable Design Technologies Corp. in July 2004."
Still not answering the question. Where does Belden get their parts? Their claims of these cables being amde in the USA could be very misleading since the majority of the work goes into making the raw materials, not the assembly.
Old 01-30-08, 03:02 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still not answering the question. Where does Belden get their parts? Their claims of these cables being amde in the USA could be very misleading since the majority of the work goes into making the raw materials, not the assembly.
Belden IS the manufacturer of THEIR parts with manufacturing capabilities throughout North America. Are you asking where they buy their copper from?
Old 01-30-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok, I think this thread has really outlived its usefulness. 11 pages of arguments are probably enough. The last few pages seem to be just the same things being argued over and over again. Thanks everyone for your participation. Let's move on, shall we?

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums