Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba speaks! New HD DVD Pricing & Marketing Strategy....

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Toshiba speaks! New HD DVD Pricing & Marketing Strategy....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
The problem with an overwhelming majority of home theatre setups is that the sound is "too big" for the picture.
That's an... interesting perspective. Could you elaborate, perhaps providing a way of benchmarking "bigness" in sound vs "bigness" in picture?
Old 01-21-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Don't we want the very best in audio and video quality for our High-Def movies? I expect the BD version of Transformers will have TrueHD or PCM audio. And I think many people will be happy about that.
Would be hard to not be happy about that -- the current track is already amazing, it'd hard to be disappointed by a lossless which at worst will sound exactly the same. I doubt most would notice the difference on this title in particular.
Old 01-21-08, 09:58 AM
Cool New Member

Yea

Originally Posted by rdclark
That's an... interesting perspective. Could you elaborate, perhaps providing a way of benchmarking "bigness" in sound vs "bigness" in picture?
Funny, my girlfriend has the same complaint about me...
Old 01-21-08, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Don't we want the very best in audio and video quality for our High-Def movies? I expect the BD version of Transformers will have TrueHD or PCM audio. And I think many people will be happy about that.
Did I miss something or did Paramount go neutral?
Old 01-21-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Did I miss something or did Paramount go neutral?
Yes, in 2008, I think they will. Along with others in the industry. Is there something wrong with my assumption? Did it rub you the wrong way?
Old 01-21-08, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yes, in 2008, I think they will. Along with others in the industry. Is there something wrong with my assumption? Did it rub you the wrong way?
No, you just speak as if its already happened, which is has not.
Old 01-21-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Aye, drives me nuts when people talk in "facts.... that haven't happend yet."
Old 01-21-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Doesn't really drive me nuts because I cannot envision a situation in which it does not happen.
Old 01-21-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No, you just speak as if its already happened, which is has not.
No, he didn't speak of it as if it has already happened. He spoke of it as if he fully expects it to happen. Which, when you think about it, is the only logical outcome one can expect.
Old 01-21-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Which, when you think about it, is the only logical outcome one can expect.
Agreed . Mr. Cinema's observation is spot on.

Pro-B
Old 01-21-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless you've been without internet access for the past month or are living in denial, I think it's pretty safe to say that it's expected for Paramount to release on BD this year. Now, having said that, which exclusive HD DVD title that they have released would be the most anticipated from the BD side? A Mighty Heart? The Heartbreak Kid? or, maybe Transformers?

From what I've read on other sites, Paramount was ready to announce BD support just a week after WB, but good ol' Toshiba talked them into staying quiet while they run their fire sale.
Old 01-21-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Agreed . Mr. Cinema's observation is spot on.

Pro-B

Well, then by all that's good and pure, it must be true.
Old 01-21-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's some info from The Bits today:

"Things are not looking good for HD-DVD, folks. Based on the reports we're getting from sources at the studios and in the retail industry, this format war is all but over. Frankly, we'd be surprised if HD-DVD still a viable commercial home video format much past the end of the year.

Word is that Best Buy has already decided not only to heavily favor Blu-ray in their stores, but they're actually planning the phase out of HD-DVD by the end of the 2nd quarter of 2008, so they can focus entirely on selling Blu-ray to their customers in the 2008 holiday season with a clear message."
Old 01-21-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
From what I've read on other sites, Paramount was ready to announce BD support just a week after WB, but good ol' Toshiba talked them into staying quiet while they run their fire sale.
Why would they stick with Toshiba? If they announced BD support they could release Beowulf a lot sooner than putting off the inevitable...
Old 01-21-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless you've been without internet access for the past month or are living in denial, I think it's pretty safe to say that it's expected for Paramount to release on BD this year. Now, having said that, which exclusive HD DVD title that they have released would be the most anticipated from the BD side? A Mighty Heart? The Heartbreak Kid? or, maybe Transformers?

Most anticipated Paramount title by the Blu-ray camp? Might be Transformers (I would buy it just for the heck of it), but I would much rather have Zodiac: The Director's Cut and Beowulf on BD. So I really hope Paramount gets their act together soon!
Old 01-21-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Aye, drives me nuts when people talk in "facts.... that haven't happend yet."
Agreed.