Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A3 skipping--Specifics (A30 any better?) Need help

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

A3 skipping--Specifics (A30 any better?) Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A3 skipping--Specifics (A30 any better?) UPDATE

I just bought a Toshiba A from amazon after the price drop. Before that, I was using the 360 add on, and I have never experienced any issues with it.

On the A3, I noticed that some web enabled features on the Transformers HD disc would cause the film to freeze up or jump around. I figured no biggie because it didn't do it with regular playback of the film. However, this feature works just fine on my 360 add on.

Now I just tried to watch Zodiac with the commentary and it froze up about 2:24 into the movie. I turned it off and on again and tried it without the commentary and it froze again. The film does not freeze up under any conditions on my 360 add on.

Let me make it clear that these are brand new discs in flawless condition with no scratches or fingerprints.

So, I am clearly going to return it to amazon, but I was wondering if you could help me decide what to do. Should I get another A3, or is it likely to have the same problems? Should I upgrade to an A30, or will that also have freeze issues?

I originally bought it for a nice backup for the future. I like one that will work, though.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by ozzfan84; 01-21-08 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 11:20 PM

I have an A30 and have had no problems.I have Zodiac and it played fine.
Old 01-18-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ozzfan ... my parents' A3 has major skipping issues on discs that play fine on my A2. I don't know if they just had a bad batch or what. I've been hoping that firmware might solve the issue.
Old 01-18-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My A3 has never skipped on any title. Before getting the A3, I had tried out 2 A35s from Best Buy and both would not load certain discs or would skip. So I think you just got a bad unit.
Old 01-18-08, 10:56 AM

Have any of you tried a hard boot by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds? I've read on other forums of this working for people but I believe it also resets the player to factory settings also. Wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 01-18-08, 11:47 AM

I tried a hard boot and the setting that returns the settings back to normal. I called amazon and decided on having them send me one more to try out. I have the feeling it was just a bad one because I can't imagine every single one doing this. If that doesn't work, I'll consider sticking with my 360 add on, or getting a more expensive standalone.
Old 01-21-08, 07:06 PM

Okay, update: I got my new A3 from amazon. I tested the spot in Zodiac and it played fine and I tested the Transformers web content with no freezes. The issue I'm getting now is that during playback, the screen will freeze and the audio will either cut out or cut out and begin playing again out of sync with the video. It is not at particular parts or with particular audio tracks, as it will play fine if I eject the disc and try again. So, I am at a loss as to what I should do. Even when I read the reviews on amazon for the A35 people complain about freezing and audio being out of sync and so forth. Should I send this one back for a refund? Is there a better player I could get that wont have these issues? It is very strange to me that these all have problems and my 360 add on is just fine.