Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

ps3/blu ray help needed please

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

ps3/blu ray help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Guitar Hero dongle also uses one of the USB ports.
Old 01-16-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
BuckNaked2k...

The slots and ports can be used for additional or removable storage vis USB hard drive or multimedia cards from cameras, etc. I use my SD slot to take my Canon photos on an SD card and copy them to my hard drive for viewing later. There are also peripherals like printers, cameras, keyboards, etc. that can be attached. Like sracer, I use my PS3 more for multimedia, although I do like "Warhawking" as much as possible! Can't wait for Burnout Paradise City next week - playing the heck out of the demo!
I hear you. My unit is strictly for Blu-ray playback. It's really just a stop-gap until a decent 2.0 universal player [CD, SACD, DVD, DVD-A, HD-DVD, BD] hits the market at a reasonable price.

IMHO, it's not really home theater gear, but it does a nice job of playing Blu-ray discs.
Old 01-16-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
BuckNaked2k...

The slots and ports can be used for additional or removable storage vis USB hard drive or multimedia cards from cameras, etc. I use my SD slot to take my Canon photos on an SD card and copy them to my hard drive for viewing later. There are also peripherals like printers, cameras, keyboards, etc. that can be attached. Like sracer, I use my PS3 more for multimedia, although I do like "Warhawking" as much as possible! Can't wait for Burnout Paradise City next week - playing the heck out of the demo!
I just downloaded and was playing the demo last night... wow! Kinda like Test Drive:Unlimited on crack! That's my next game purchase.

Yep, add a camera, and another perpheral, and there y'go...need more USB ports. I'm buying a 1TB USB harddrive to store my DVD collection on to use my PS3 as a multimedia jukebox. I have been prototyping the idea previously with a 250GB drive attached to the XBox 360. That worked very well (given the limitations of the 360)... so far it looks like it will work better with the PS3.

It just seems to me that the 80GB model is the better deal, even if one has no plans for multimedia and additional peripherals. I can see how the additional $100 on an already expensive console might sway someone to the less expensive model, but in the long run it will end up being more expensive.

But then again, I might feel that way because I essentially only had 2 USB ports on the 360 and used them up quickly. (Wifi took the USB in the back), camera, and USB harddrive took the front ports...and had to swap to use the charge-n-play... resulting in having to buy a powered USB hub.
Old 01-16-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See, the USB ports, memory card ports, built-in Wi-fi, etc are all useless to me. That's why I got a 20GB this summer.

The only use the USB ports on the 360 have ever seen was for the HD-DVD drive (for a few months) and my wife's Guitar Hero 2 Guitar.

I've used one of the USB ports on the PS3 for a PS2->PS3 converter before I had another PS3 controller, and to use the PS2->PS3 memory card transfer thingie. That's about it.

Network is handled with a Belkin router in wireless bridging mode, which provides 4 ethernet ports for my 360, Dish DVR, HD-DVD player, and the PS3 all in one fell swoop.

It depends on how you use it.