Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HDM Needs a Name!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HDM Needs a Name!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Blu-ray is too close to 'blurry', which will work well for activists, I guess. They can go into stores and put a 'Blurry' sticker over top of every 'Blu-ray' logo. Now the problem is finding activists who can find a good enough reason to do that...
Just ask rdjam!
Old 01-11-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Holysmoker
Aren't Blu-ray Discs also Digital-Video-Discs? It seems silly to leave that out of the name of the technology. It should probably be called Blu-ray DVD which is what I hear people calling them anyway.
Technically, yes, Blu-ray Discs are "digital video discs", in that a) they are discs, b) they contain video, and c) they store it digitally.

However, the name "DVD" is internationally copyrighted and trademarked by the DVD forum, and the Blu-ray format is not sanctioned or recognized by that forum. So, it would be illegal for them to use the "DVD" name in any official publication or branding.
Old 01-11-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe when HD DVD is finally on the scrap pile they can get the blessing from the DVD forum to call it Blu-DVD or BDVD or something like that. I always thought that one of the best things HD DVD had going for it in terms of mass adoption was the familiarity of the name.
Old 01-11-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Maybe when HD DVD is finally on the scrap pile they can get the blessing from the DVD forum to call it Blu-DVD or BDVD or something like that. I always thought that one of the best things HD DVD had going for it in terms of mass adoption was the familiarity of the name.
I hope that this will be the case. Or even BVD (Blu-ray Video Disc), although this might just be confusing as it sounds too similar to DVD.
Old 01-11-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by namja
I hope that this will be the case. Or even BVD (Blu-ray Video Disc), although this might just be confusing as it sounds too similar to DVD.
I think there was a brand of men's underwear called "BVD". I don't think I would be comfortable with that abbreviation for a disc format ...
Old 01-11-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Yavin
I think there was a brand of men's underwear called "BVD". I don't think I would be comfortable with that abbreviation for a disc format ...
I totally forgot about that. Never mind then.
Old 01-11-08, 01:21 PM

I wonder if they could get away with "HDVD."

Not HD-DVD which would be a trademark infringement. But simply "High Definition Video Disc."

After all, everybody knows that the "V" in "DVD" stands for "versatile!"
Old 01-11-08, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Damn. You beat me to it.

"Risky Business: Tighty Whitey Edition"
Old 01-11-08, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by rdclark
I wonder if they could get away with "HDVD."

Not HD-DVD which would be a trademark infringement. But simply "High Definition Video Disc."

After all, everybody knows that the "V" in "DVD" stands for "versatile!"
Not bad. I think they also need to stay away from HD DVD to keep confusion down.
Old 01-11-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Realistically speaking, I think they'll just keep Blu-ray Disc. And they should. There had been enough confusion already. Changing the name will only add to that confusion.

Before the Wii came out, everybody made fun of that name. Now, almost no one makes a stink about the name. And just about everyone is wanting to get one (despite the funny name).
Old 01-11-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by namja
Realistically speaking, I think they'll just keep Blu-ray Disc. And they should. There had been enough confusion already. Changing the name will only add to that confusion.

Before the Wii came out, everybody made fun of that name. Now, almost no one makes a stink about the name. And just about everyone is wanting to get one (despite the funny name).
I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with the name "Blu-Ray", really. They just need to keep on referring to it as "Blu-Ray Disc" in order to hammer it into the general public's collective heads that it is a disc format and not a PS3 format.
Old 01-11-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As usual, I think Nintendo's clever marketing helped overcome the perceived silliness of that name. The two Japanese executives bowing and saying "Wii would like to play." Very clever ad, if you ask me.

The BDA needs to come up with something as clever, and then their name will be on every tongue. And maybe, as much as one of my earlier posts was in jest, they should get Don LaFontaine (the famous "In a world..." voice-over guy) to do some promos for them. It worked for Geico. Well, everything seems to work for Geico.
Old 01-11-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,501 Posts
Call me anal-retentive, but I refuse to add a "word" to my dictionary that isn't actually a word. I won't even add my surname...

Blu will never be a real word as far as I'm concerned, unless you're talking about Blu Cantrell.
That's why the word was able to be trademarked, because "blu" isn't a real word. They couldn't trademark "Blue-ray", otherwise I'm sure that they would have went with that.
Old 01-11-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Call me anal-retentive, but I refuse to add a "word" to my dictionary that isn't actually a word. I won't even add my surname...

Blu will never be a real word as far as I'm concerned, unless you're talking about Blu Cantrell.
That isn't anal retentive, it's just myopic. Except for the part about your own name, that's just dense. You do know that the dictionary on your PC is only for you, right?

I like Blu-ray, because it is a new name in the shiny media disc biz. I'm tired of slight changes that confuse the hell out of everyone. Just call it something else so it can easily be differentiated for the masses. No doubt that was Sony's thinking as well. Now, I'm not too fond of Sony so I'm really not happy about agreeing with them, but what can you do?
Old 01-11-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BTW, anal-retentive should have a hyphen between anal and retentive.
Old 01-11-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think they should call it "Much better than DVD", then call it a day.
Old 01-12-08, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
That isn't anal retentive, it's just myopic. Except for the part about your own name, that's just dense. You do know that the dictionary on your PC is only for you, right?

I like Blu-ray, because it is a new name in the shiny media disc biz. I'm tired of slight changes that confuse the hell out of everyone. Just call it something else so it can easily be differentiated for the masses. No doubt that was Sony's thinking as well. Now, I'm not too fond of Sony so I'm really not happy about agreeing with them, but what can you do?
You can damn bet that they wish they had been able to use HD DVD. Once battle lines were drawn, they had to go in a completely different direction.
Old 01-12-08, 08:22 AM

I prefer Blu-ray Disc. HD-DVD is more difficult to say in a sentence...

"Do you rent Blu-ray discs?"
"Do you rent HD-DVDs?
Old 01-12-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,501 Posts
Yeah that's true, HD DVD is a bit awkward (spoken not written), it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue compared to "Blu-ray disc".
Old 01-12-08, 09:51 AM

I actually think that the NAME Blu-ray, had alot to due with the success of it winning.

HD-DVD sounds too much like DVD, thus doesn't differentiate itself from standard DVD. Blu-ray, is an original name, thus making it more popular and cool to talk about when explaining to others, or newcomers.
Old 01-12-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah that's true, HD DVD is a bit awkward (spoken not written), it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue compared to "Blu-ray disc".
Exactly. Blu-ray just rolls off the tongue...HD DVD? WTF? Five syllables, bah...
Old 01-12-08, 10:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
BTW, anal-retentive should have a hyphen between anal and retentive.
for shame...
Old 01-12-08, 10:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
The problem is, when you ask 99% of the population of earth what a "Blue Ray" is, they probably think of something like this:

or this...
+

But seriously... the name "Blu-ray" could work, but it's going to take a lot more marketing and "infusion" into the minds of the masses. I guess Sony did well on that front with PlayStation (also a dumb name, IMO), so anything's possible.

Old 01-12-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe they could strike a deal with Tampa's MLB team to change their name again.

Although, that would reinforce my pet peeve of people referring to the discs as "Blu-rays." Really, you bought some rays of laser light? How do you store them?
Old 01-12-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But seriously... the name "Blu-ray" could work, but it's going to take a lot more marketing and "infusion" into the minds of the masses.
And you think the name "DVD" didn't take some serious marketing and infusion ten years ago? When I got my first DVD player (I was a very early adopter), almost everyone I told about it burst out laughing, because they thought I was talking about underwear.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.