Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

1,000 HD channels for Comcast?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I think the number in this article may be a little off. At the rate we're going it would take about 200 years for that.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22560571
Old 01-09-08, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heck, I'm still waiting for the On-Demand service that they constantly advertise. Gotta love de facto monopolies.....
Old 01-09-08, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They do not have enough bandwidth to do this,, not even close. Plus, there is not even 100 HD channels available to show, where are the other 900+ coming from.
Old 01-09-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
They will probably just compress them even more to cram on more channels.
Old 01-09-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they completely shut off their analog signal they'd be able to fit ~300 more HD channels. Not sure where 1000 is coming from.
Old 01-09-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 1000 channels means that if they have 1 movie on demand in HD, that is consider 1 channel.
Old 01-09-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

all I want to know is this: what does this mean to my 2 Tivo Series 3s when they start to roll any of this out? will they be compatible with all of this?
Old 01-09-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

here's another link that also mentions 1000 HD "options":

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...t_N.htm?csp=34

NEW YORK — Comcast CEO Brian Roberts will try to show the cable industry has embraced innovation by unveiling initiatives today to promote new technology, speed Internet connections, help customers manage video options and expand HDTV selection.
In his keynote speech at this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the first by a major cable chief at the annual trade and product show, Roberts says he'll show "the two-way, fiber-optic-based network we built is ready for the next generation" of TV, phone and Internet products.

The speech extends an olive branch to the electronics industry. Its ability to create products for the 64% of homes subscribing to cable has been cramped by operators' proprietary boxes and technologies.

Federal pressure and competition from phone and satellite companies have helped motivate the cable industry to create a uniform technology named "Tru2way." It will let outsiders develop TV sets, DVRs and other gear that handles interactive cable services without an operator's cable box. Roberts says all Comcast (CMCSA) systems will support Tru2way by the end of the year. Panasonic, Samsung, LG and Digeo are displaying Tru2way products at the show. Roberts also will announce:

•Comcast in 2008 will offer Internet speeds as fast as 160 megabits per second, up from its current top of 16 mbps. "We're going to download a two hour-plus movie in high-definition in three minutes and 56 seconds," he says. The price will depend on demand.

•Comcast is launching Fancast.com, a website for finding and managing TV shows, video and movie viewing. Users can provide their location and the TV services they get to see personalized listings that cover conventional TV channels, video-on-demand (VOD) and Internet offerings from broadcast and cable networks. Eventually, they'll be able to program their DVRs via Fancast.

Those looking for a particular movie can see whether it's available on video services including Netflix, (NFLX) Blockbuster.com, (BBI) Amazon (AMZN) and iTunes. (AAPL) For movies in theaters, Fancast will sell tickets via Fandango, a service Comcast bought last year.

•Comcast will increase high-definition offerings on VOD to better compete with satellite companies that offer more HDTV channels than most cable companies. Comcast will have 1,000 HD options by year's end, including conventional HD channels and up to 300 VOD movies, TV shows and music videos.

By the end of 2008, Comcast will be testing Project Infinity, an initiative to increase its high-definition VOD capacity. Roberts says VOD servers across the country will offer 6,000 movies, half in HD, in 2009.

Old 01-09-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are they talking about all the local network HD channels? Meaning, are they counting Fox HD in Washington DC being a different channel than Fox HD in Dallas? I could see 1000 channels with that logic.
Old 01-09-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I know that on Dish I have 10-20 NBA HD channels and the same number of NHL channels. Nothing is ever on more than 2 of them that I have seen. That and PPV channels are how they push those numbers. They don't mean squat.
Old 01-09-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
all I want to know is this: what does this mean to my 2 Tivo Series 3s when they start to roll any of this out? will they be compatible with all of this?
They should be. The only concern with one-way cablecard devices such as series 3 TiVos is switched digital video, and they've announced a work-around for that.
Old 01-09-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
Are they talking about all the local network HD channels? Meaning, are they counting Fox HD in Washington DC being a different channel than Fox HD in Dallas? I could see 1000 channels with that logic.
That is exactly what they mean. I can't wait for them to dump the analog content either. Oh well, by the time they do I'll be in Alaska, and back on satellite.
Old 01-09-08, 11:43 AM

This is a little off subject, but if Comcast is increasing Bandwith from 16mbps to 160 megabits per second, will they still be "policing" it and cut off the users that they say they're increasing it for? I am guessing yes.