Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is There a Way To Check If A DVD Won't Be Coming out in Blue-Ray or HD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a big collection and some of the titles have not been released yet on DVD. Is a way to check if it will never be released Also I own alot of TV Shows and I think that not all of them will be released alot like Roswell,Boy Meets World,One Tree Hill,24 etc and shows like that. Is there a way to check
Old 01-05-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just look at your collection and realize about 75% won't be coming out in High Definition.
Old 01-05-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
No, you'll just have to look at the release lists to see what's coming soon. Anything shot on film or HD video is a potential candidate for release, but of course it could take several years for stuff to be released, if ever. It's not as if they decide years in advance what to release, and they would be affected by many factors like sales of similar titles, cost issues, market trends, potential for tie-ins, etc.

I guarantee Boy Meets World won't be coming because that show was produced in standard definition. 24 is a very likely candidate though.
Old 01-05-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
No, you'll just have to look at the release lists to see what's coming soon. Anything shot on film or HD video is a potential candidate for release, but of course it could take several years for stuff to be released, if ever. It's not as if they decide years in advance what to release, and they would be affected by many factors like sales of similar titles, cost issues, market trends, potential for tie-ins, etc.

I guarantee Boy Meets World won't be coming because that show was produced in standard definition. 24 is a very likely candidate though.
Boy I hope of they do release 24 on BD they start with S1 and not the dreadful S6.
Old 01-05-08, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Boy I hope of they do release 24 on BD they start with S1 and not the dreadful S6.
if you search 24 on amazon it shows dvd and blu-ray as the only formats. it looks like 24 season 1 is gonna come out only on blu-ray
not hd-dvd

http://www.amazon.com/24-Season-One-Blu-Ray/dp/B000Y5JFMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199581515&sr=1-1
Old 01-05-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, past this summer, expect everything to come out in DVD or Blu-Ray.

I probably would not sell any of your old DVDs but it might be prudent to wait if a new movie comes out on DVD only from one of the big studios.
Old 01-05-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, first you have to buy a Delorean....
Old 01-06-08, 12:23 PM

This is somewhat off topic, but I really hope that a lot of SD TV shows come to Blu Ray. No jump in quality, of course, but it would be nice to have an entire series of something all on a couple of disks, instead of taking up whole shelves.
Old 01-06-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shows are already starting to come out on BD. Many TV shows were filmed, not taped. So there actually should be a dramatic jump in quality for those.