Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What to do with recently purchased HD DVDs?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the HD war isn't over, but it's not looking pretty. I imagine I'm not alone in trying to decide what to do with recent purchases and how best to handle them.
I have an order coming from bestbuy.com with 5 HD DVDs. If I decide not to keep them, can I return the order to a B&M BB, or do I need to return them by mail to the dot.com side of the comany?
Old 01-05-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
You can return them to the store w/ the included receipt.

But that said, I'm keeping mine, they still work just fine.
Old 01-05-08, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
You can return them to the store w/ the included receipt.

But that said, I'm keeping mine, they still work just fine.
Thanks for the info.
I'm still on the fence since I already have a dozen and half other titles that aren't going anywhere.
Old 01-05-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya know, I was just about to list my HD titles on ebay but I stopped myself. I don't want to do it. I am keeping them and my sub $100 dollar player. I can always buy a Blu player down the line.

Plus, I can always give the HD player to my folks who could give a rats ass about HD or Blu Ray.
Old 01-05-08, 03:08 PM
Rob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Ya know, I was just about to list my HD titles on ebay but I stopped myself. I don't want to do it. I am keeping them and my sub $100 dollar player. I can always buy a Blu player down the line.
My thoughts exactly! Five years down the road, I don't mind having 20 HD DVDs along with my 100 Blu-Ray discs.

However, since I saw Harry Potter 1-4 were still on the Blu-Ray B1G1 sale on Amazon, and my HD DVDs were still wrapped, I went ahead and bought them (without a BD player) and will be posting my sealed HP HD DVD's on eBay tomorrow.
Old 01-05-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
If you still have a player, the only real reason to return the stuff is because either you didn't get a great deal or you can get a blu-ray edition right now. Otherwise, keep the movies and enjoy them. It may be a while before you see some of these titles on Blu-Ray.
Old 01-05-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob
My thoughts exactly! Five years down the road, I don't mind having 20 HD DVDs along with my 100 Blu-Ray discs.

However, since I saw Harry Potter 1-4 were still on the Blu-Ray B1G1 sale on Amazon, and my HD DVDs were still wrapped, I went ahead and bought them (without a BD player) and will be posting my sealed HP HD DVD's on eBay tomorrow.
The HP's, I agree on. Those are my only WB titles except for Ocean's 11 which I don't want to have to rebuy the whole box (on Blu) just for that title.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 01-05-08 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm probably going to put some of mine here on the FS forum. Matrix, Bourne, I'll keep because they aren't on BD.
Old 01-05-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Watching and keeping the movies. Nothing wrong with them.

TV sets have to go after I've watched them. I'll rebuy them on Blu-Ray when they hit really low prices. I want them all on the same format. I like consistancy with the TV stuff. (I have Heroes, Smallville 5/6, and Sopranos Season 6 Part 1.
Old 01-05-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You should watch them because you bought movies not HD-DVDs.
Old 01-05-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you can return them to the store that is the best bet besides just keeping them. Right now so many people have dumped their used HD DVDs on Ebay and Half.com the value of them has bottomed out. I thought I could easily get $10 each for the HD DVDs I am replacing, but it is not appearing so easy. I sold a couple yesterday on Half for $15, but I've had to drop the prices on the rest several times and have sold nothing else. Looks like word is out and selling HD DVDs is going to be tough now.
Old 01-05-08, 04:58 PM
Banned

Keep, watch, and enjoy of course. I'm surprised by some of the panic, I assumed most people on here still own laserdiscs and VHS. I guess there's a lot more "technology" people than "movie" people around. If a movie is only available on HD-DVD, that's how I will own it. I'll continue to buy exclusive titles as long as the studios churn them out. Hell, if a movie I wanted was only available on UMD, I'd buy that.
Old 01-05-08, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If anyone is certain they don't want their HD DVDs, I am starting an "HD DVD reclamation service." Basically, you mail the HD DVD discs to me and in return, you get peace of mind that you don't own any discs on that format.
Old 01-05-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
You should watch them because you bought movies not HD-DVDs.
No shit!
Old 01-05-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If anyone is certain they don't want their HD DVDs, I am starting an "HD DVD reclamation service." Basically, you mail the HD DVD discs to me and in return, you get peace of mind that you don't own any discs on that format.
Old 01-05-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FusionX
Keep, watch, and enjoy of course. I'm surprised by some of the panic, I assumed most people on here still own laserdiscs and VHS. I guess there's a lot more "technology" people than "movie" people around. If a movie is only available on HD-DVD, that's how I will own it. I'll continue to buy exclusive titles as long as the studios churn them out. Hell, if a movie I wanted was only available on UMD, I'd buy that.
I think people are worried that if BD becomes mainstream, the BDA will push the panic button alerting the hounds to come to your home and destory your HD-DVD collection.

Old 01-05-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Can I be your VP in that company? I'll happily take any HD DVDs off people's hands.

I was in the same boat as the OP. I ordered 5 discs from BB's B3G2 sale, then tried to cancel it only to find out they had shipped. But you know what? With my $25 gc and the 2 free titles I ended up paying about $12 per disc, which is less than what it would cost for me to buy the SD versions of the same titles. I'm paying for movies, not a format, so I'll keep my titles and be satisfied.
Old 01-05-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What to do with recently purchased XBox 360 games?

What to do with recently purchased Blu-ray discs?

What to do with recently purchased Wii games?
Old 01-05-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When laserdisc died, I decided to hold onto the 120 or so titles that I owned. I have only watched 1, the original Return of the Jedi with the Ewok song, in the past 5 years ... I should have dumped it when I could have. I could have made a killing selling the original, unedited Star Wars movies, but most aren't worth the material they are made out of now. The only laserdisc title that I still treasure is my widescreen version of The Shadow (which NEVER made it to DVD ... damn Universal), but of course, I have not watch it in a long time.

I have learned from my mistakes. Although I have no regrets purchasing movies on HD-DVD, no use holding onto something that will get a double (or triple) dip on an HD format in the coming years.

For ones I bought from Best Buy, I am tempted to return them (even though they were combo titles).

I really want to return the HP movies I bought from Amazon, but I don't want to pay for shipping.
Old 01-05-08, 06:52 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
If you cant break even or return to the store, you might as well wait it out for a couple weeks. Prices could stablize on some items. And Toshiba could pull a rabbit out of their hat. They have invested huge sums of money in this.
Old 01-05-08, 06:54 PM

Q: What to do with recently purchased HD DVDs?

A: Watch them.

Old 01-05-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep 'em. Even if HD DVD dies soon, it'll still be cool to have.
Old 01-05-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I'm sure some of us will still be posting here 5 years from now talking about HD-DVD like some now talk about their Laserdisc collection...
Old 01-05-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'm sure some of us will still be posting here 5 years from now talking about HD-DVD like some now talk about their Laserdisc collection...
Old 01-05-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
It took forever for something to come along to replace my Criterion of Close Encounters and Blade Runner. I'm betting there are quite a few movies Warner never updates on Blu-ray to match the HD DVD versions. I will always have a small collection of HD DVDs and laserdiscs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.