Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you still gonna buy HD-DVDs?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Are you still gonna buy HD-DVDs?
Yes
44.41%
No
30.32%
Maybe, depends on the title
25.27%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Are you still gonna buy HD-DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I was an early adopter 'cause I want instant gratification, and as long as HD DVD has exclusive content I want, I'll be buying those titles.
Old 01-05-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I will buy HD-DVD until they completely dicontinue them. I have a Blu-Ray player as well, but I like HD-DVD much better. Even though Warner is stopping HD-DVD, and that is a damn shame, HD-DVD still has a better title selection and few of their titles ever miss special features from their SD versions, unlike Blu-Ray (i.e. Live Free or Die Hard, Spider-Man 1 & 2, etc.).

I still have strong faith in HD-DVD, Universal and Paramount are still HD-DVD exclusive, there's still a small chance of hope.
Old 01-05-08, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
I will buy HD-DVD until they completely dicontinue them. I have a Blu-Ray player as well, but I like HD-DVD much better. Even though Warner is stopping HD-DVD, and that is a damn shame, HD-DVD still has a better title selection and few of their titles ever miss special features from their SD versions, unlike Blu-Ray (i.e. Live Free or Die Hard, Spider-Man 1 & 2, etc.).

I still have strong faith in HD-DVD, Universal and Paramount are still HD-DVD exclusive, there's still a small chance of hope.
Ya, right. Like no way in hell.
Old 01-05-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jericho
Sure. I don't think my buying habits will change as I bought most WB titles on Blu-Ray anyway. I don't have a problem buying more HD DVDs, unless they stop releasing them or release on Blu Ray.

Of course, I don't think WB going Blu-Ray only would have been the death of HD DVD. I mean it's not that different than it was before. But since every one else is doom and gloom, I'm sure the perception out there will help kill HD DVD.
I think it's quite different. IMO, 2 studios and 1 player manufacturer can't carry a format long term. At least before, you had WB's support. 3 studio catalogs was alot, but now take away WB's gigantic catalog, and that really hurts. BD now has 70% of the market share. HD DVD shelf space is going to shrink even more now, so there will be lots of Blu for new buyers to notice when they start browsing around in Best Buy. The question of "why are there so many more Blu-ray movies?" will start getting asked.
Old 01-05-08, 01:42 PM

I envision greater and greater functionality on BD as the manufacturers concentrate on enhancing quality. As someone once said, HD-DVD was simply DVD on steroids, while BD is completely different and forward looking.
Old 01-05-08, 02:18 PM

I will still buy Zodiac on Tuesday, since I passed on the DVD release because of the then-upcoming HD-DVD. After that, I'm done with high def.
Old 01-05-08, 02:35 PM

I'm still buying HD discs regardless. There's not a whole lot on the menu for new releases but there are a couple of titles I'll be getting. Namely, Elizabeth: The Golden Age & Zodiac DC. As other titles are made available on HD, I'll get them as well.
Old 01-05-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by theflyingdutch
BD is completely different and forward looking.
Like the MiniDisc!
Old 01-05-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for the question of the post- yes I will, and why not?

I have both formats, but could care less which one I own a movie on. They are both excellent quality. As others have stated, bring on the fire sale!
Old 01-05-08, 03:13 PM

Why wouldn't I? It's not like the discs will stop playing once the format war is over. I've got several Universal and Paramount titles preordered and I don't see any reason to cancel them.

What worries me about WB's announcement yesterday is that Paramount/Dreamworks will feel inclined to just wait out the remaining 12 months of their exclusive deal and not release anything except for major day-and-date titles.
Old 01-05-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I will buy any titles that I want, if I can get them at bargain prices, same as before. And I will continue this until they stop making them. I don't give a rat's ass whether my cases are red or blue; both provide excellent PQ and AQ and special features, if the studios can be bothered to include them.

I really don't get this OCD stuff about having to have all one's discs in the same format. I think it will be kind of fun to have the first five HP movies in red and the last two in blue.
Old 01-05-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I am getting Zodiac this week and allow him to put my HD-Dvd buying to rest.
Old 01-05-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Why wouldn't I? It's not like the discs will stop playing once the format war is over. I've got several Universal and Paramount titles preordered and I don't see any reason to cancel them.

What worries me about WB's announcement yesterday is that Paramount/Dreamworks will feel inclined to just wait out the remaining 12 months of their exclusive deal and not release anything except for major day-and-date titles.
I agree. It's quite alarming how many people are ditching their HD-DVDs. You should be ditching your DVDs if anything.
Old 01-05-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm buying Red until the bleeding end. By then I be able to get a Blue player for less than $400.
Old 01-05-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by nevermind
As for the question of the post- yes I will, and why not?

I have both formats, but could care less which one I own a movie on. They are both excellent quality. As others have stated, bring on the fire sale!
This would be me as well.

I haz both. But I still haven't found a stand alond BR player that I like AND is reasonable priced.

I'm actually thinking of jumping on the B3G2 free sale still at BB. Seems just a few $$ less then Amazon overall. At those prices, they are in some cases LESS then SD!

Right now I have a PS3 and A3 in my theater room, but only A3 in the living room. The A3's were right around $125 each and since they make excellent up converting SD players, I see no reason to get rid of them. When they have a BR player for under $150, then I'll pick one up for the living room.
Old 01-05-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Yup

Then again we'll see how many titles I'm interested in that HD-DVD pumps out.
Old 01-05-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to scoop them up from the suckers dropping them for cheap on ebay. I've got the player already, I'll have a dual format player in the next year or two. Until there's a good, cheap BD player, especially. I really don't like using the PS3's proprietary, unlit remote in the dark (how I watch all movies on my projector).
Old 01-05-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Zodiac will be my last HD DVD.
Old 01-05-08, 06:21 PM

I'll still buy even though Amazon took away my 10%.
Old 01-05-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I agree. It's quite alarming how many people are ditching their HD-DVDs. You should be ditching your DVDs if anything.
Why should people ditch DVD's? A lot of stuff isn't available in either format and won't be for quite some time - if ever. Especially older TV series, even the "newer" ones dating back to the early 90's.
Old 01-05-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Damn skippy. I don't have any allegiances to either side. To me, picking a side and criticizing others for not choosing the same is almost as ridiculous as being a console fanboy and doing the same. If truth be told, I honestly couldn't give 3 shits about the outcome of this "war". All I know is if HD doesn't survive - I have a great player I received at a great price that upconverts all my SD DVDs...and plays HD DVDs...which I still plan on purchasing no matter the outcome.
Old 01-05-08, 06:49 PM

I will be picking up Zodiac on HD DVD this Tuesday and whatever HD DVD exclusive titles are released such as American Gangster. If a title is available on both formats, then I will pick up the Blu-ray version. It may slow my HD DVD purchases, but it will not stop me completely, especially if there is a major sale.
Old 01-05-08, 07:04 PM

I'll continue to buy HD-DVD and will just switch to Blu-Ray from Warners from here on out....
Old 01-05-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No, I'm still going to buy them.

Did everyone's players stop working? Should I not update my Toshiba firmware?
Old 01-05-08, 09:54 PM

I still LOVE HD-DVD and still perfer it. I just bought Eastern Promises, great movie and the best looking live action HD I have ever seen. Its so razor sharp. Going to buy Zodiac Tuesday

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.