Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray will win??

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-Ray will win??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu-Ray will win??

From the New York Times:

Did Warner Brothers Just Kill HD DVD?
By Saul Hansell

Tags: Blu ray, HD DVD, video, warner brothers

In addition to Apple, Warner Brothers is now going to throw its weight behind the Blu-ray format for high-definition disks. Warner has been the only major studio to publish its movies in both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats. Today, the studio announced that from now on, it would only issue movies in Blu-ray.
Until now, the war between the formats has seemed like a standoff. Of the big studios, Disney, Fox and Sony have backed Blu-ray. NBC Universal and Viacom back HD DVD.
Richard Greenfield, the media analyst with Pali Research, wrote that this marks the end of the format wars: “We expect HD DVD to ‘die’ a quick death.” He noted that NBC Universal has not committed to backing HD DVD exclusively. Viacom’s studios — Paramount and Dreamworks — have an exclusive deal with the backers of HD DVD, but Mr. Greenfield wonders if there is an escape clause.
Mr. Greenfield further wonders if consumers, on hearing this news, will return their Christmas HD DVD players and exchange them for Blu-ray devices. I’m not so sure that many people pay that close attention to Hollywood. But I certainly wouldn’t spend money on an HD DVD player until this all sorts out.
Old 01-04-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
wrong forum
Old 01-04-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mr Greenfield's tone makes him suspiciously sound like a lobbyist for Blu-Ray.

Anyhow, even if we only get to one hi-def format, there's still a long road to travel before it becomes a lasting one worth investing in. Yes, many of the hi-tech fans that inhabit these forums may like one or the other, but Joe Six-Pack is the one that drives the real sales... and the cost is still rather prohibitive to proclaim this as the worthy successor to standard DVD tech.
Old 01-04-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
wrong forum
And way late: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=521651
Old 01-04-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Mr Greenfield's tone makes him suspiciously sound like a lobbyist for Blu-Ray.

Anyhow, even if we only get to one hi-def format, there's still a long road to travel before it becomes a lasting one worth investing in. Yes, many of the hi-tech fans that inhabit these forums may like one or the other, but Joe Six-Pack is the one that drives the real sales... and the cost is still rather prohibitive to proclaim this as the worthy successor to standard DVD tech.
Yup, one format isn't gonna get everyone in America to buy a Blu-ray player. DVD is still good enough and Blu-ray players still cost a ton. This is kinda like a contest between 2 MP3 players that aren't made by Apple.
Old 01-04-08, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This is kinda like a contest between 2 MP3 players that aren't made by Apple.
This is a great analogy and one I'm totally stealing.
Old 01-05-08, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No clear winner and I think there's no obvious trend either on what format will dominate so it's still SD for me.
Old 01-05-08, 06:39 AM

I know people love a good fight, but it's puzzling to me, the level of passion and tenacity people have over this HD format argument, as if they had a financial stake in it.

It's obvious that both HD formats are destined to become the new LaserDisc, an interim format embraced by a few tech nerds while the rest of us wait for the next big thing.
Old 01-05-08, 06:39 AM

"No clear winner".... are you serious? Now 70% of the studios are behind Blu-Ray. That's a KO blow for HD-DVD. It's also been reported elsewhere that Universal & Paramount will both opt out of their HD-DVD deals rather than miss out on future BR disc market share. Once electronics manufactures all make nothing but BR players, prices will decline and consumers will be more likely to upgrade.

BTW, I'm still SD myself. However if I were to go buy a new player today, it would definitely be BR.
Old 01-05-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9......10....TKO! Ding! Ding! Ding!

It's Over!

Poor Hd-Dvd, No Comeback for You!

Sony Got the Knockout, and is taunting you!
Old 01-05-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This is kinda like a contest between 2 MP3 players that aren't made by Apple.
Nice analogy.
Old 01-05-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
I know people love a good fight, but it's puzzling to me, the level of passion and tenacity people have over this HD format argument, as if they had a financial stake in it.

It's obvious that both HD formats are destined to become the new LaserDisc, an interim format embraced by a few tech nerds while the rest of us wait for the next big thing.
I agree. Despidte this surge, I just don't think even BD is enough to supplant DVD in the hears and minds of the masses. Like the MP3 player analogy, this is a good one, and if you don't mind, I'd like to quote you in my sig.