Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I will never buy support anything else in HD again....
Wont be getting an HD TV, will never buy blu-ray or another Hd film. Fuck them all.
Standard def (and my 10 Hd-DVD movies) will be the only way I go. And if Wb starts putting prominent special Features exclusvely on Blu-ray. My movie collecting days are done. This is how they treat me then fuck them. They wont see anymore monry from me.
Ummm... standard def TV too?
Old 01-04-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed
I guess Sony must have written the bigger check ;P
Microsoft giving a check to Paramount to spite Sony is OK. But Sony giving a check directly to one of their competitors?

I wonder how much news this is to Toshiba executives.
Old 01-04-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh shit.
Old 01-04-08, 03:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
The question is will WB even show up at the hd-dvd presentation? Either way, they did it the right way by honoring their hd-dvd release slate till May.

IMO poor decision. Stop today. Force people to blu.
Old 01-04-08, 03:49 PM

Of...........Course.

I' own both, but I plan on keeping my XA2 for upconverting purposes and will continue to watch the HD-DVDs I currently own.

However, after an "Into the Wild" HD-DVD purchase, Ill probably be buying Blu Ray only.
Old 01-04-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
The question is will WB even show up at the hd-dvd presentation? Either way, they did it the right way by honoring their hd-dvd release slate till May.
Agreed. Unlike Paramount.
Old 01-04-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheKing
Get enough players out there, and the studios will support it.
It's funny. The PS3, as a gaming machine, has been close to a disastrous failure. It did more to help Sony's CE and movie arms than its gaming arm.
Old 01-04-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
IMO poor decision. Stop today. Force people to blu.
"Forcing" consumers has never been a good decision.
Old 01-04-08, 03:51 PM

Well, glad im neutral. Too bad for HD-DVD though. Hopefully they can withstand this major blow.
Old 01-04-08, 03:52 PM

Even with this news, I still don't think people sitting on the sidelines are going to rush out and buy players.
Old 01-04-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ScottsDvds
Even with this news, I still don't think people sitting on the sidelines are going to rush out and buy players.
Not right after Christmas, at least.
Old 01-04-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To do this 2 weeks after Christmas, just after releasing expensive Harry Potter and Blade Runner sets to entice new adopters, is a pretty ugly move. The time for this was October or November. It would have killed HD DVD going into the holidays.
Old 01-04-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jeesuz Christ, stop me from jumping!

Ah just kidding, gives me an excuse to buy some type of Blu-Ray player down the road. I'm in no hurry to buy one, I've come to the conclusion that regular DVDs are good enough for me...so I will move my A-2 into the bedroom and eventually buy a Blu-Ray player.not a biggie.
Old 01-04-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
To do this 2 weeks after Christmas, just after releasing expensive Harry Potter and Blade Runner sets to entice new adopters, is a pretty ugly move. The time for this was October or November. It would have killed HD DVD going into the holidays.
i agree with this....
Old 01-04-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Reminds of Toshiba dropping the price and adding free movies mere weeks after the release of the A2.

Just goes to show you all folks - this is about MONEY more than ANYTHING else.
Old 01-04-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I will never buy support anything else in HD again....
Wont be getting an HD TV, will never buy blu-ray or another Hd film. Fuck them all.
Standard def (and my 10 Hd-DVD movies) will be the only way I go. And if Wb starts putting prominent special Features exclusvely on Blu-ray. My movie collecting days are done. This is how they treat me then fuck them. They wont see anymore monry from me.
Sorry, buddy, but you don't get any sympathy.

You are an early adopter of a niche technology in the middle of a format war. If you didn't recognize the very real possibility of one or both of these formats failing, then you weren't paying attention.

Some of us take such chances. I did with SACD, which hasn't exactly panned out as many of us hoped. But I knew this was a possibility going in, and rending garments and cursing the fates seems a bit silly when a very real eventuality actually comes to pass. You roll the dice, and you take your chances. Or you keep your wad in your pocket. When it's over, you move on.
Old 01-04-08, 04:01 PM
Banned

I am done with HD media, I just bought all 5 harry potters with the BB buy 3 get 2 free sale, luckily I haven't opens them and will return them. I am not going to buy the blu ray versions, the SD versions will be good enough.
Old 01-04-08, 04:01 PM

this is bullshit. region coding and higher costs =
Old 01-04-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm purple, so this doesn't bother me one way or the other, even though I tended to prefer HD DVD, at least early on when the Blu-ray discs weren't so hot. Thankfully, the newer discs seem to be far better. You can't really blame Warner, and at least this may help bring the stupid war to an end.

However, quit worrying about HD DVDs being coasters. It's not gonna happen. Dual format players are the way the market's going; and why would Toshiba *remove* HD DVD playback from their players? If they eventually make a Blu-ray unit, it's gonna have HD DVD legacy playback too. I mean, this is not like a VHS/Beta situtation where combo players were not a real possibility; it's already happening. I wouldn't recommend anyone run out and buy an HD DVD only player now, but then again I wouldn't recommend anyone run out and get a non 1.1 Blu-ray player either.

Me, I'm happy with my two seperate units for now, but the next one I buy will be a combo unit. I'm not concerned at all about being able to find machines to play back the HD DVDs I own.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 01-04-08 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 04:03 PM

Very true and how many of those people who just bought their players are going to rush out and invest in another player.
Old 01-04-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know what's the best part of this? Now the mods no need to lock up heated threads, well, there will be less of those...

i certainly don't understand the XXX paid YYY such and such arguments. Who cares! All corporations play dirty, doesn't matter the payment made in public or private. They are all evil, they are all after our money. I don't like Sony, i don't like MS either. i hate the fact that mods locked the other thread b/c of the "heated" discussion (i guess money is the root of all evil).
Old 01-04-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm actually pleased by this news. I started with HD-DVD early this year (cheap refurb XA1) and stuck with HD-DVD until I picked up an open box BDP1000 2 weeks ago.

I've been thoroughly enjoying the BD-only discs like POTC, etc.

Lots of people complain about the BDP1000, but other than being slow to load Java BD discs, has been great. And it actually plays Blockbuster rental discs, unlike my XA1.

The BB rental thing alone was starting to make me wish Blu-ray would win. That's a 180 degree switch from my opinion 1 month ago. All because I could get a cheap BD player.

The only thing I hate about this news is that it probably means the end of BOGOs. Looks like it'll be BB or Netflix for me from here on out.
Old 01-04-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Harry potter owners will be pissed.
I don't know why that would be. My original DVD player (a Toshiba) is still the main dvd player in my house. I expect that my HD-DVD player will last a very long time as well. So I don't know why I would even think about returning the HP discs I have.
Old 01-04-08, 04:06 PM

having waited for the war to end before getting in HD, all I can say is "thank you WB." For those who have HD DVD players, they are still great upscaling SD players, and the cost of HD discs will plummet over the next 6 months so you will be able to get movies cheaply. And of course you can enjoy the ones you have already bought. So it is not like a total loss.

But it had to end and at least, I, am grateful.
Old 01-04-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
So if you only back HD-DVD, what are your options now?

1. Nothing had changed, keep buying HD disc. Maybe more to help the format.
2. Buy a Blu or combo player.
3. Cash out and go Blu

Hmm.....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.