DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/521651-reuters-usa-today-warner-bros-will-back-only-blu-ray.html)

Adam Tyner 01-04-08 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
A good reason to come out of retirement and congratulate Warner Brothers for bringing this asinine war to closure. :up:

I wouldn't say that. I, for one, am very glad that there were two competing formats -- HD DVD and Blu-ray are both monstrously better as formats thanks to the competition -- but this couldn't go on indefinitely.

I'm just curious if HD DVD is going to throw up its arms and admit defeat or if it'll limp to the same inevitable conclusion. I don't know how likely Disney supporting both formats would've been beforehand, but I can't imagine that they'd be likely to support HD DVD after the format suffers a blow like that.

Raul3 01-04-08 03:10 PM

I can only imagine how things are in the avs forum :)

Good thing I'm purple. But I really like the IME features in HD-DVD, Blu Ray has tried but is still two steps behind in disc features.

pro-bassoonist 01-04-08 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Does this mean New Line will be Blu only as well?

Certainly.

Pro-B

MetalGator311 01-04-08 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by sbelli
Yes, I was shocked to read this. Really was hoping they'd at least stay neutral. I have nothing against Blu-Ray, but since I have only the 360 HD DVD add-on, I'm not a happy camper to read this.

I think this makes the 360 add-on the wisest purchase of all HD-DVD players since it doesn't use an extra component on your TV or AV Receiver. I'll start buying more BDs, but I won't sell off all my HD-DVDs since I can still watch movies in 1080p with decent (DTS 1.5) audio.

Yavin 01-04-08 03:11 PM

Is this going to be like the Paramount/HD-DVD though? Paramount agreed to release only on HD-DVD for a period of 18 months. Will Warner be returning to both formats after a specified time period?

The odd thing is that someone on another forum posted a "Warner goes Blu-Ray exclusive" statement just a few minutes before I read this thread, and I thought it was a joke. Then I read it here and I was shocked.

RockStrongo 01-04-08 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I wouldn't say that. I, for one, am very glad that there were two competing formats -- HD DVD and Blu-ray are both monstrously better as formats thanks to the competition -- but this couldn't go on indefinitely.

I'm just curious if HD DVD is going to throw up its arms and admit defeat or if it'll limp to the same inevitable conclusion. I don't know how likely Disney supporting both formats would've been beforehand, but I can't imagine that they'd be likely to support HD DVD after the format suffers a blow like that.

Good points! This is no time to chest pump.....The competing formats did alot to bring prices down.

Now, HD-DVD will slowly die most likely.

RoboDad 01-04-08 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
So, I guess your saying "Mission Accomplished"?

:p

I know you're only joking, but really, I had no horse in this race. I think BOTH formats have advantages and disadvantages, and I didn't really care who came out the victor. I just wanted SOMEONE to.

So, to the extent that the announcement will hasten the end of the war, then yes, I guess I would say "Mission Accomplished." :D

And, of course, I know that my HD DVDs will continue to play, but I have to admit that I'm thinking hard about taking back my recent Christmas gift (Order of the Phoenix on HD, still unopened) and exchanging it for the Blu-ray version. No sense in "throwing good money after bad".

pro-bassoonist 01-04-08 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

The war, led by corporate propagandists, divided our community like nothing I have witnessed in my time (and that is quite a bit). So, as far I as I am concerned it was asinine.

Ciao,
Pro-B

kvrdave 01-04-08 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
In the short term those who chose HD DVD will be out take a hit, but in the long term we'll all come out ahead because I think there will be more movie choices available to us.

Hopefully it forces the prices down. Otherwise I'll be sticking to Netflix.

GreenEggs248 01-04-08 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
I can't friggin' believe this news, having just bought an A3 within the last month and opened up a bunch of HD-DVDs ...

Same here, the wife just bought me a HD DVD player for Xmas.

Good thing I'm format neutral. But may just be purchasing Blurays from now on.

You think we'll start seeing HD DVD players on ebay soon?

RichC2 01-04-08 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
The war, led by corporate propagandists, divided our community like nothing I have witnessed in my time (and that is quite a bit). So, as far I as I am concerned it was asinine.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Ours maybe, but the format war has nothing on the console wars of the last few generations (this generation has been relatively quiet). Mostly because those participants are years younger. It's still funny seeing people act like 5 year olds over this format war. And I still say, if you aren't buying a PS3 at < $400, Blu is incredibly overpriced.

cartman 01-04-08 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Is this going to be like the Paramount/HD-DVD though? Paramount agreed to release only on HD-DVD for a period of 18 months. Will Warner be returning to both formats after a specified time period?

Nothing they've said indicates that. In fact, the comment about one format indicates the opposite, that they're firm in the decision.

DVD Josh 01-04-08 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by GreenEggs248

I said before that I am going to hold onto my player. I spend $450 for my A2, so it's not like I was going to see that much back on it anyway. I have lots of NF movies and sealed HD-DVDs that I'd like to watch first anyway, so I might as well use the thing.

If nothing else, its' one hell of an upconverting player and will get used in my house, one way or the other.

cartman 01-04-08 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by GreenEggs248

There will likely be an increase, but I've got so many HD DVD "only" movies that I can't see a reason to go throwing it out a window or anything. I still like watching the dang movies! :lol:

DVD Josh 01-04-08 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by cartman
There will likely be an increase, but I've got so many HD DVD "only" movies that I can't see a reason to go throwing it out a window or anything. I still like watching the dang movies! :lol:

Many people still own their VHS/LD players because a title has still yet to come out on DVD.

This will be no different.

Ephemeral_Life 01-04-08 03:20 PM

Meh... fuck!

Oh well, I only payed $100 for my player, and it does a great job upconverting DVDs. I really don't like Sony and their obsession with DRM, region codes and other obstacles, but I guess I'll have to pick up a Blu-Ray player once they reach the same price level that HD-DVD is at now.

Raul3 01-04-08 03:21 PM

I know this is a big blow to the hd-dvd camp but, is anyone else with me wishing the war doesn't end here?

There are a lot of advantages having the two formats, specially when you have a player for the two formats. :)

Maxflier 01-04-08 03:22 PM

Fuck!
Oh well, i'm sticking with HD DVD until the very end.

RoboDad 01-04-08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Many people still own their VHS/LD players because a title has still yet to come out on DVD.

This will be no different.

I think the difference here, though, is that the HD DVD exclusive movies have been released on an HD format. It isn't the same as movies previously released on VHS and LD, that might have required quite a bit of work to get ready for DVD. Once the dust has settled, Paramount and Universal would be foolish to hold their HD DVD titles back from Blu-ray.

lotsofdvds 01-04-08 03:22 PM

:sad:

TheMovieman 01-04-08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by cartman

That is true, but it still pisses me off that I could've waited a couple of months...

But as someone said, in the long run this might be the best thing. :\

namja 01-04-08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Hopefully it forces the prices down. Otherwise I'll be sticking to Netflix.

That's a lot of hoping.

The ONLY reason that we have enjoyed such low prices on both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc is the format war. Had there been only one format, the HDM sales still would not have been high enough to justify lower player/movie prices. If you think that HD DVD slow dying, if it does, will bring the sales of Blu-ray enough to significantly lower prices, well, think again. For my wallet's sake, I hope this war goes another 5 years.

BravesMG 01-04-08 03:22 PM

It looks like my A35 is still within the return period and is going to be going back to Amazon. I'll make due with my A2 and probably pick up another BD player. It's kind of sad, I think I would have preferred HD to win but I'd really rather have one format.

stingermck 01-04-08 03:24 PM

Going over my collection quickly, a little over half my HD-DVD's are Universal/ Paramount/ etc exclusives, so for now thats a good excuse to keep the A2.

DVD Josh 01-04-08 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Once the dust has settled, Paramount and Universal would be foolish to hold their HD DVD titles back from Blu-ray.

Universal, yes, but Paramount is contractually obligated. That's a real problem for them, although their catalog titles lately have sucked.