Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner Brother's Hi-Def Decision?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: What will Warner Brother's Decide in the Hi-Def decision?
Blu-Ray Exclusivity
23.36%
HD-DVD Exclusivity
28.69%
They will stay nuetral
41.80%
I really don't care...
6.15%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Warner Brother's Hi-Def Decision?

Old 01-03-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if New Line (or whoever does their encodes) is just not familiar with how to properly use VC-1 (or was the Bluray the same?).
Old 01-03-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RE: DNR application to Pan's Labyrinth HD DVD and BD (both use an identical VC-1 encode)

This from Highdefdigest's review:

"-- grain has been artificially reduced using a minor application of Digital Noise Reduction (DNR). Because this decision by New Line has sparked some controversy, I spent quite a bit of time comparing this Blu-ray release to the previously released high-def import edition, hunting for blurry patches of skin and smeared textures. My takeaway: fans with screens larger than 100" may see a loss of clarity when directly comparing still shots from this domestic version to the same shots on the import, but the vast majority of viewers will never notice or care (especially considering how insignificant the visible difference actually is when the film is in motion). While I'm not a personal fan of New Line's unnecessary adjustment of the original print, I feel it's crucial to note how judiciously the technique has been applied in this case."

I personally can't wait to pick up a copy of the HD DVD as soon as I'm able.

And now back to our regularly scheduled speculation-fest concerning Warner Bros. HD intentions . . .
Old 01-03-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
For those arguing (hoping) that WB chooses HD-Dvd it is time to say why you wish this to happen? Does "attach rate" make HD-Dvd players better or the software more appealing? I've already given my reasons as to why I would prefer them to choose Blu-Ray over HD-Dvd if they decide to go one format.
Old 01-03-08, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edstein
I think you give J6P too much credit. Most PS3 owners use their systems for games. J6P doesn't know that their PS3 plays movies, much less BD's. How many PS2 owners used that system to watch DVD's, not too many I think.
The PS2 got me into DVD and many others that I know. Maybe it's just my generation (I'm 30), but when I graduated college the PS2 sounded like a great deal...it played games and DVD's for about $300. Even though the PS2 doesn't offer great playback...it was a big part of me getting into Home Theater. Sadly, I know people who are still using it as their main DVD player to this day...

I think most people buy the PS3 because it plays both games and movies...not just games or just movies. If you want just a game machine, why not buy the cheaper Xbox that currently has a better game selection?

The PS3 will never have the attach rate of a standalone player, but I think the average consumer will still use it for both. Just my opinion though.

As for Warner...I hope they stay neutral. I enjoy being able to pick the HD disk that best fits my needs/wants (A2 or PS3).
Old 01-03-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I prefer Gremlins 2, myself.
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Old 01-03-08, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by nmr1723
The PS2 got me into DVD and many others that I know. Maybe it's just my generation (I'm 30), but when I graduated college the PS2 sounded like a great deal...it played games and DVD's for about $300. Even though the PS2 doesn't offer great playback...it was a big part of me getting into Home Theater. Sadly, I know people who are still using it as their main DVD player to this day...

I think most people buy the PS3 because it plays both games and movies...not just games or just movies. If you want just a game machine, why not buy the cheaper Xbox that currently has a better game selection?

The PS3 will never have the attach rate of a standalone player, but I think the average consumer will still use it for both. Just my opinion though.

As for Warner...I hope they stay neutral. I enjoy being able to pick the HD disk that best fits my needs/wants (A2 or PS3).
I have both the A3 & PS3. I love both devices and bought both to play movies, but I do a little gaming on the PS3. Oh, and I buy no HD/BD software at all. None. It's just too expensive.

I've got over 600 DVDs and guess what, when I buy movies I buy them in standard def and rent my HD/BD from Blockbuster. Just last week I spent almost $300 on SD DVDs. To me they look fine and are certainly worth what I pay considering the price difference.

I would prefer one format, but I simply don't care which one it is.
Old 01-03-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by heliosten
Oh, and I buy no HD/BD software at all. None. It's just too expensive.
Wish I had your problem. I keep buying them because they are too cheap. All the B1G1F sales are killing me.
Old 01-03-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
For those arguing (hoping) that WB chooses HD-Dvd it is time to say why you wish this to happen? Does "attach rate" make HD-Dvd players better or the software more appealing? I've already given my reasons as to why I would prefer them to choose Blu-Ray over HD-Dvd if they decide to go one format.
Really....I like both formats.....Both sides have their release lemons so thats equal.

My hd-dvd leaning is mainly due to me having them first AND I extremely do not like Sony.

Other than that, I do not really care. If one dies, ill just buy the other. I have the Samsung duo player now, so im set for a while.
Old 01-03-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Wish I had your problem. I keep buying them because they are too cheap. All the B1G1F sales are killing me.
+1 Those SDs are just too damn expensive these days.
Old 01-03-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the record, I wish all studios would just go neutral, yes even Sony. Let the hardware sort itself out. But as an HD-DVD supporter, I'd be happy if WB went red.
Old 01-03-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I just ripped my CD of David Bowie's Hunky Dory. I will now encoded it on an MP3 at... 39 Gigabits per second!

Since this is a bigger file than the original, it must be higher quality.

QuePaso, I can send you a 965GB encode of "Queen Bitch" for you to confirm... that this the best song ever!
Old 01-03-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I dare say a high definition video encode has more to gain from higher bandwidth than a 16-bit/44.1 audio source.
Old 01-03-08, 04:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I just ripped my CD of David Bowie's Hunky Dory. I will now encoded it on an MP3 at... 39 Gigabits per second!

QuePaso, I can send you a 965GB encode of "Queen Bitch" for you to confirm... that this the best song ever!

Just for the record, Hunky Dory is one of my all time favorite albums.
Old 01-03-08, 04:33 PM
Suspended

It is sad how most HD DVD supporters can only make absurd comments and not reply with facts. Attacking is your #1 weapon. Great to be on a NEUTRAL forum!
Old 01-03-08, 04:38 PM

That was pretty stupid even for a joke.
Old 01-03-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by QuePaso
It is sad how most HD DVD supporters can only make absurd comments and not reply with facts. Attacking is your #1 weapon. Great to be on a NEUTRAL forum!

Oy vey . . .
Old 01-03-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Awfully ironic when you post something like this:

Microsoft keeps planting this rumor over, and over, and over and over. They want people to not jump to a PS3 to play this game, but it will NOT be coming to the 360. The game is 50 Gigs, has 7.1 PCM Lossless audio and would simply take 10 or more DVDs to fit. Remember, Xbox 360 games can never go over 6.5 gigs in size due to their custom copy protection, so they can never be fully utilized DVD9s. Plus, you will need redundant information like textures, audio, etc on each discs, so good luck with that.
I'm not looking to stir the pot here, but his "joke" was simply that. Then, you had to take it to another level.
Old 01-03-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Veiled insults will do nothing but derail this thread.
Old 01-03-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,453 Posts
I think you give J6P too much credit. Most PS3 owners use their systems for games. J6P doesn't know that their PS3 plays movies, much less BD's.
I kind of think you are not giving J6P enough credit. Whether they actually buy movies on BD at all, I'm sure that more are aware that the PS3 can actually play them (and DVDs) than you give credit for. I'd like to hope that most people buying PS3s aren't quite that stupid and uninformed.

How many PS2 owners used that system to watch DVD's, not too many I think.
In North America, I have no idea. But in Japan, the DVD format was almost dead in the water until the PS2 came out. I'm sure that most people bought the machine for gaming, but when they found out that they could play DVDs on them as well, sales of movies on that format increased dramatically. I'm not really using this to argue any particular point (I do agree with you that most PS3s are used primarily for gaming), and I'm talking about a different country's market here, I just wanted to throw that tidbit of info out there.
Old 01-03-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
I kind of think you are not giving J6P enough credit. Whether they actually buy movies on BD at all, I'm sure that more are aware that the PS3 can actually play them (and DVDs) than you give credit for. I'd like to hope that most people buying PS3s aren't quite that stupid and uninformed.
This has been my finding at least with the people I work with, which of course is totally anecdotal.

I've had three different people ask me this week about my thoughts on the PS3. All three are what I would consider casual gamers, and all three mentioned Blu-Ray before I did.
Old 01-03-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in BB the other day, getting my B3G2 free HD-DVD's, when I overheard a lady asking the blue shirt about the differences between the Wii and a PS3. She had no clue what he was talking about. The blue shirt seemed to be pushing the Wii harder than the PS3.

Sorry to derail this thread. When can we expect any news from Warner Brother's? Is there a press conference scheduled?
Old 01-03-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it really necessary to attack other posters based on their format preferences?

Getting back on topic, it seems The Assassination of Jesse James has been cancelled all together for hi-def. Pretty shitty of Warner to do that.
Old 01-03-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
According to the NPD Group survey (see article at PS3 Fanboy web site), 60% of PS3 owners are oblivious of Blu-ray.
Old 01-03-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Is it really necessary to attack other posters based on their format preferences?

Getting back on topic, it seems The Assassination of Jesse James has been cancelled all together for hi-def. Pretty shitty of Warner to do that.
I don't think the DVD is even up for pre-order yet at Amazon. Maybe the release is being retooled for all formats.
Old 01-03-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Originally Posted by namja
According to the NPD Group survey (see article at PS3 Fanboy web site), 60% of PS3 owners are oblivious of Blu-ray.
OK now, 60% is a somewhat realistic number that I could actually believe (sad as that number is). I was arguing the point that seemed to be made that virtually no J6P knew that the PS3 could play BDs or DVDs. That I would have found very hard to believe.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.