HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: What will Warner Brother's Decide in the Hi-Def decision?
Blu-Ray Exclusivity
57
23.36%
HD-DVD Exclusivity
70
28.69%
They will stay nuetral
102
41.80%
I really don't care...
15
6.15%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Warner Brother's Hi-Def Decision?

Old 01-01-08, 01:08 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,137
Warner Brother's Hi-Def Decision?

I have been reading on several website the likelyhood that Warner Brothers will be picking a single High-Definition formate in 2008...

I'm just wondering what you guys think they will choose and how this will effect the HD war.

Personally I think that if they choose Blu-Ray they will win the Hi-Def war; whereas if they pick HD it could cause the war to go on for atleast several more years...
critterdvd is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 01:14 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,591
I would be happy if they stayed neutral but if they have to pick then I hope they go Blu-Ray. As far as to knowing what they will do I have no clue.
dsa_shea is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 01:34 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,318
Neutral.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 02:05 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,403
Neutral

As has been discussed before, I just don't see them going BR exclusive if, in fact, they have a presence during the 2-hour HD-DVD presentation at CES.
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 03:09 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,907
If they do pick a side, I'm going to guess they'll pick HD-DVD. Microsoft will be waiting with a blank check for them, if they do.
Mikael79 is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 03:38 AM
  #6  
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,111
New york times just had a story today saying many of the movie studios will most likely be releasing in both formats in the future because neither format has the advantage at this time and they cant leave so many sales off the table.
g is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 03:51 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
wewantflair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mastic, NY
Posts: 1,816
This topic is so beaten to death that it's irritating. I almost hope they exclusively release their movies on those little cartridges that play in Nintendo DS, just to piss people off.
wewantflair is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 05:50 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
Originally Posted by wewantflair
This topic is so beaten to death that it's irritating.
Agreed, but with the rumors swirling around about the Blu-ray press conference that's happening Mondayat CES, expect the topic to be reignited for the next few days.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 07:36 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
RockyMtnBri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 2,169
I'm hoping for Blu-Ray as well, but they may remain neutral.
RockyMtnBri is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 08:23 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 121
if they go HD, its a stalemate and probably a 500 million check from MS. If they go blu-ray, I think HD is done.

I now have both formats but I do think they will go Blu-Ray.
King Felix is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 08:54 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,705
Websites can fantasize all they want, but there is no indication they will do anything but make an appearance at the HD-DVD presentation.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 09:06 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,270
Originally Posted by g
New york times just had a story today saying many of the movie studios will most likely be releasing in both formats in the future because neither format has the advantage at this time and they cant leave so many sales off the table.
There is a rumor that is going around that there will be a BR exclusive studio going neutral at the end of January. Just a rumor but an interesting one.

I hope so as I am HD-dvd exclusive and don't plan on joining the BR camp anytime soon.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 09:07 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
I see no reason why they would do anything different. WB movies seem to sell more than any other studio because they support both. If the rest of the studios were smart they would all support both and let the hardware situation work itself out over time.
darkside is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 09:14 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,383
Originally Posted by King Felix
if they go BD, its a stalemate and probably a 500 million check from Sony. If they go HD, I think BD is done.
Fixed, and it just as silly this way. If you think that Disney and Fox are BD-exclusive out of some altruistic measure, you're deluding yourself.

I am sure that Paramount got something, somewhere along the line to be HD DVD only.

I think that Warner will likely remain neutral, but if any announcement is made, it will be them siding with HD DVD. I think it is more likely that Disney will announce dual format support and grab EVERY HDM customer.
Qui Gon Jim is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 09:25 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,705
Originally Posted by darkside
I see no reason why they would do anything different. WB movies seem to sell more than any other studio because they support both. If the rest of the studios were smart they would all support both and let the hardware situation work itself out over time.
How can the hardware situation work itself out over time if all the studios support both formats? That's an impossible situation and will only serve to destroy BOTH formats.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 10:17 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,511
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
How can the hardware situation work itself out over time if all the studios support both formats? That's an impossible situation and will only serve to destroy BOTH formats.
Not necessarily. It leaves the decision up to the consumers of which format they prefer. Also, dual format players will likely increase in number. Personally I've chosen Blu-ray, but won't be too upset if someone goes neutral...
Anubis2005X is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 10:27 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,559
As much as I'd like to see WB go Blu (primarily to see combos killed for their releases), if they do go exclusive I get the feeling it will be HD DVD, due to their history of the format before they launched.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 10:31 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,840
I hope WB stays neutral. I hope Disney goes neutral.
The Bus is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 10:33 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,270
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Not necessarily. It leaves the decision up to the consumers of which format they prefer. Also, dual format players will likely increase in number. Personally I've chosen Blu-ray, but won't be too upset if someone goes neutral...
Exactly. Two formats aren't going to hurt anything if all the studios are releasing on both.

If the PS3 had sold better we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Everything would be BR due to the amount of players in homes. If every studio went neutral now it would come down to price and features.

Let the hardware companies fight each other and leave the studios out of it. The studios being on only one side of the fence has hurt this format more than there being two different kinds of hardware.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 10:33 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Acushnet, Massachusetts
Posts: 367
I don't imagine WB picking a side anytime soon, but if they DID I would imagine they would pick HD DVD simply due to the reasons 'bunkaroo' mentioned. They have a longer history with HD DVD and have seen the success with the format (in terms of HDI working since the beginning and BD still kind of struggling with BD Java).
MrChaos is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 10:35 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
tonymontana313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,746
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Fixed, and it just as silly this way. If you think that Disney and Fox are BD-exclusive out of some altruistic measure, you're deluding yourself.

I am sure that Paramount got something, somewhere along the line to be HD DVD only.

I think that Warner will likely remain neutral, but if any announcement is made, it will be them siding with HD DVD. I think it is more likely that Disney will announce dual format support and grab EVERY HDM customer.
There is no way Disney will go neutral anytime soon. I'm so tired of hearing this in almost every forum. If you read the email where they give you the 5 dollar coupon, they just basically pissed on hd-dvd. I hardly see them making any movement.

Getting back to WB, now that everyone is expecting something at CES, they will stay status quo but I do see a decision from them before Q1 is done.
tonymontana313 is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 12:02 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
There is a rumor that is going around that there will be a BR exclusive studio going neutral at the end of January. Just a rumor but an interesting one.

I hope so as I am HD-dvd exclusive and don't plan on joining the BR camp anytime soon.
There is no such rumor coming from anyone credible, you really ought to reconsider spreading it here.
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...&postcount=126
pricdews is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 12:06 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Last year before CES we had just as many rumors that turned into complete BS. Maybe someone will get lucky this year and be right, but I honestly doubt anyone has a clue. I'm expecting no change in policy from anyone.
darkside is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 12:12 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,383
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
There is no way Disney will go neutral anytime soon. I'm so tired of hearing this in almost every forum. If you read the email where they give you the 5 dollar coupon, they just basically pissed on hd-dvd. I hardly see them making any movement.

Getting back to WB, now that everyone is expecting something at CES, they will stay status quo but I do see a decision from them before Q1 is done.
Just to clarify, I am not saying I think that Disney is going neutral. I think it is as likely or more likely that they will go neutral than it is that another studio will go exclusive.

Do remember that even if they "pissed" on HD DVD, they are a business, and smart business does not leave money on the table. They will weigh whatever incentives they are getting from the BDA against the potential revenue from going neutral. Who knows what these numbers are.
Qui Gon Jim is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 12:16 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fort Fun, Colorado
Posts: 645
I predict that one or more Warner representatives will decide to appear at CES. It's Vegas, baby...
bretski is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.