Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why no decent blu-ray players?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why there can't be even one decent reliable blu-ray player. I mean my Toshiba A30 that I paid 220 bucks for works great. But it seems like almost all the blu-ray players have some kind of issue. I just wish someone would make a reasonably priced reliable player. Looks like I'm just gonna have to wait a while and just buy HD movies. At least the matrix trilogy is on HD. I was totally bummed I had to return the Panny 30. I mean usually they are reliable, but not this time. What a disappointment.
Old 12-22-07, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
There are reliable players. The PS3 is a fine machine (yes it is more expensive than your A30 cost).

If your single A30 had the same problems would you make that blanket statement for HD DVD?
Old 12-22-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't like my A1 but the bugs seem to be worked out for the A3 I just got. However, the PS3 has been flawless. I would be soooooooo pissed if I was a company making a BD player and sony came out with a cheaper machine that was far superior in every way to the stand alone players. I don't know how pahasonic, etc. can do anything but lose money on their machines.
Old 12-22-07, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I would be soooooooo pissed if I was a company making a BD player and sony came out with a cheaper machine that was far superior in every way to the stand alone players. I don't know how pahasonic, etc. can do anything but lose money on their machines.
I'm sure they bank on people's attitudes with regard to game consoles being movie players. There are some who just won't consider a console because of functional fixedness, or the way it looks, or they perceive it as a toy, whatever.
Old 12-22-07, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm sure they bank on people's attitudes with regard to game consoles being movie players. There are some who just won't consider a console because of functional fixedness, or the way it looks, or they perceive it as a toy, whatever.
This perception is understated by many. To a lot of people, not people here necessarily, ps3=toy.
Old 12-22-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would buy a PS3 in a heartbeat, but it doesn't have analog outs. And I'm too cheap to spring for a new receiver when my Yamaha sounds so great.

So I'll just stick with my A1 (and HD-DVD) for now.
Old 12-22-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lord Rick...

The PS3 DOES have analog outs. If you're talking about 6-channel analog you are correct, the PS3 does not have them. You can use an older PS2 cable with it that has component/composite/s-video and analog audio. I'm currently using an HDMI cable for video and an optical cable for audio running to my Yamaha receiver (bought in 1999). I'm upgrading my receiver in April and then I'll be able to use just HDMI for both audio and video. I suggest you visit the PS3 site and download the manual.

I have a 60GB PS3 and it is the best buy I've made in years. With all the firmware updates that have come out to add more functionality (the latest brings the PS3 up to BR 1.1 standard) plus its flawless Blu-Ray playback, I was able to replace two other devices with it. The PS3 can do more than just Blu-Ray, but it does Blu-Ray great!

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 12-22-07 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-22-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No decent Blu-ray players??

PS3??? - Plays every disc thrown at it, loads faster than any other machine, gets the most new abilities through consistent firmware upgrades (including the recent boost to full 1.1 profile)....not to mention, oh yeah, it also plays games and can stream media, browse the net, etc. etc (if you are into those things)...

I've known toys...toys have been friends of mine....the PS3, sir, is no toy...
Old 12-22-07, 08:47 AM

PS3 ftw!
Old 12-22-07, 09:27 AM

There seem to be issues with players on both sides. I read your thread on the BD30, and I feel you are most likely in the minority. Many of the Samsung BD players have been quite unreliable, but I've only heard great things about the Panny. I don't think you should make a blanket statement for all BD players because you had a problem with one. Just my opinion.

I have an A2 and PS3 and have zero problems with each...I think you just got a lemon...it happens.
Old 12-22-07, 09:45 AM

Well I have done tons of research on blu-ray players and it just seems like they all have issues. I also need one to play 1080p/24p which reduces the number of players I can use. I think people that got the earlier batches are lucky. However, the current batch of the panny is problematic, and I'm not the only one experiencing this. Is the ps3 a 1080p/24p? I've looked but can't verify that.
Old 12-22-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes it is. Again, you need to check the patch update information. If you look at the updates that have happened (and I'll admit, there have been many) you'll see that 1080p/24 was added later. Here's a direct link:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/SystemUpdate

Just trying to provide you with the best information so you can make your own educated decision.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 12-22-07 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-22-07, 10:02 AM

Rocky I see it is now 1.1 profile and I know it does 1080p, but I don't see where it says 24p. Also do you feel it has performed well over all? Any complaints?
Old 12-22-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check an older update (1.80) - it's a menu option. I know this because I turned it on after one of the updates, and my Sony XBR 960 34 inch tube TV doesn't support it. When I get my front projector in April (which does support it), I'll turn it on then. This is from the description of that update:

# [BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [BD/DVD Settings].

Update history link:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Ab...html#update154

Some update highlights - 1.80 brought us upscaling DVDs to 1080p via HDMI and more features. This was something that PS3 owners clamored for, and the units originally could not do this, but a few patches later and it does it flawlessly! I was able to move my Panasonic DVD player with upscaling out of my media room. To me, the best feature about the PS3 is its updatability.

My friend, this machine is practically flawless - I haven't had any issues with it. I have it hooked up to my wireless network and grab the updates that way. I also have a PSP and I can access content on my PS3 and my home PC (through the PS3) with it anywhere there's a network connection.

In fact, in the last update before 2.01, they snuck a feature in that they haven't even published at the site. I can now play my Super Audio CDs via optical - 2 channel and multi-channel! Someone at another site mentioned it and I tried it and it works! I was able to retire my SACD player because of that!

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 12-22-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-22-07, 10:24 AM

Thanks a lot Rocky for taking the time. I think I am going to pick one up since my husband likes console games. Sounds like this is a good match for me. Plus I can get it today for 10% off at cc. Happy Holidays! I'll let you know what I think after I get to test it out.
Old 12-22-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent! Glad I could help!! Just make sure you read the game playback capabilities on the system you're going to get if that's going to be a factor. On the newer ones, not all of them play PS2 or PS One games. The original systems do - I grabbed a 60GB PS3 when they were first available.

Don't forget about the free Blu-Ray disc promos as well!
Old 12-22-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by m0vi3fan
I don't understand why there can't be even one decent reliable blu-ray player. I mean my Toshiba A30 that I paid 220 bucks for works great. But it seems like almost all the blu-ray players have some kind of issue. I just wish someone would make a reasonably priced reliable player. Looks like I'm just gonna have to wait a while and just buy HD movies. At least the matrix trilogy is on HD. I was totally bummed I had to return the Panny 30. I mean usually they are reliable, but not this time. What a disappointment.
Well my A30 player has given me more problems in the 2+ months that I have had it than either of my two PS3s have given me playing movies, games, etc.
Old 12-22-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Happy with my HD-A1 and PS3!
Old 12-22-07, 10:41 AM

PS3 and Panasonic BD30 are both great.
Old 12-22-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/faq

M0vi3fan, this will tell you the difference in the systems.
Old 12-22-07, 12:01 PM

My Panasonic DMP-BD10A has played flawlessy since I purchased it in August. My Toshiba HD-A3 has had a few hiccups but nothing too bad. I'm enjoying movies on both formats.
Old 12-22-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The PS3 is the only option. Every other player is rendered useless when that new profile comes out.
Old 12-22-07, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The PS3 is the only option. Every other player is rendered useless when that new profile comes out.
Cause who would ever want to watch a movie without turning "Picutre in Picture" on? Completely useless indeed.
Old 12-22-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pricdews...

The new profile also brings persistent memory - HD players already have that for web content and bookmarks. That alone is significant - I hope the BD studiios will patch their older discs to at least allow bookmarking and the newer discs will take advantage of it.
Old 12-22-07, 02:32 PM

Thnx Rocky! Yeah I saw the differences. The 40hd one is good enough for my needs. It will mostly be used as a player and not a gaming machine. I just picked it up at CC for $360+tax. I have to go to an xmas party but I will let u know how it goes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.