Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dumb coaxial audio question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Haven't had much experience in hooking up surround audio systems (my last receiver was pro-logic only).

Can you use a standard RCA stereo cable for connecting the coaxial audio connection of a DVD player and receiver, or does it require a specialized coaxial audio connector???
Old 12-01-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should work just fine. I believe you would be better off using a video cable than an audio one, but you probably won't notice any difference.

edit: Switched audio and video in post.

Last edited by jonw9; 12-01-07 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-01-07, 12:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree.
Way back when I got my first 5.1 receiver, I used a "standard" RCA cable (I tried the yellow, red, and white ones at different times) and it didn't transmit the signal at all. The problem, I believe, is that the newer "thicker" cables can handle the full signal, while the standard "thin RCA" cables cannot.

Mind you, that could have just been a problem with my receiver or DVD player, but that was my experience.
Old 12-01-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Any decently-shielded 75 ohm RCA cable will do. There is no difference between a "Composite Video" cable and a "Digital Coaxial" cable other than the price. They are literally the exact same thing inside.

That said, you want to use the yellow 'video' cable, which is rated for 75 ohm impedance, not the red & white 'audio' cables that are only 50 ohms. And don't use the flimsy crap that comes packaged with your player. You don't have to spend a lot of money; anything from Monoprice.com should suit your needs.
Old 12-01-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Mind you, that could have just been a problem with my receiver or DVD player
It was. Josh suggestion is best but any RCA type cable wiil work.
Old 12-01-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Any decently-shielded 75 ohm RCA cable will do. There is no difference between a "Composite Video" cable and a "Digital Coaxial" cable other than the price. They are literally the exact same thing inside.

That said, you want to use the yellow 'video' cable, which is rated for 75 ohm impedance, not the red & white 'audio' cables that are only 50 ohms. And don't use the flimsy crap that comes packaged with your player. You don't have to spend a lot of money; anything from Monoprice.com should suit your needs.

Thanks for the correction, I know the video and audio cable (typically) have different impedances, but I was wrong on which he should use.
Old 12-02-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks. Just used a yellow video cable as suggested and everything is working great!