Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kingdom of Heaven is jaw-droppingly gorgeous

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 11-29-07, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The transfer is flawless. I mean it, it's perfect. I couldn't believe it when I was watching it. The combination of the day time exteriors and John Mathieson's (Gladiator) cinematography make it the most visually impressive experience I've witnessed on both formats.

BTW, the movie isn't too bad either.
Old 11-29-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
BTW, the movie isn't too bad either.
BTW, Eva Green's not too bad either
Old 11-29-07, 09:56 AM

I hated the theatrical cut of this movie, but a friend twisted my arm and got me to watch his Director's Cut blu-ray. That extra time really smoothed out the choppiness that bugged me and I ended up buying a copy for myself. Beautiful transfer, good movie.
Old 11-29-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My review of KoH is everything is great about it except for the plot.
Old 11-29-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was my first Blu-ray purchase about 11 months ago. Beautiful transfer, although it's from Fox so naturally they left off all the extras except for the trailer.
Old 11-29-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It looks and sounds great but it's taken me 4 viewings so far to get to through the first hour. The movie's just a bit dull, unfortunately.
Old 11-29-07, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
It looks and sounds great but it's taken me 4 viewings so far to get to through the first hour. The movie's just a bit dull, unfortunately.

you and me both
Old 11-29-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice to look at, but yes, unfortunately dull. And that goes for the director's cut.
Old 11-29-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Nice to look at, but yes, unfortunately dull. And that goes for the director's cut.
Now now, this isn't Alexander we're talking about.
Old 11-29-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think KoH is a great film--vastly underrated. Roger Ebert was one of the few critics who had it right...Good acting, rousing score, great visuals...and I think it had a good, relevant message about religion and coexisting peacefully.
Old 11-29-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
It was my first Blu-ray purchase about 11 months ago. Beautiful transfer, although it's from Fox so naturally they left off all the extras except for the trailer.
Besides the standard response given to their bare-bones discs that "it IS Fox after all", I think one of the main reasons for the lack of extras is that it is a three hour movie and they used MPEG-2 for it....honestly, with better AVC (or VC-1) compression, they could have been able to put some standard def extras on there...
Old 11-29-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Besides the standard response given to their bare-bones discs that "it IS Fox after all", I think one of the main reasons for the lack of extras is that it is a three hour movie and they used MPEG-2 for it....honestly, with better AVC (or VC-1) compression, they could have been able to put some standard def extras on there...
based on Fox's track record, i don't think it was a space issue. i mean, if they wanted to, they could have made it a two disc set with everything that the four-disc DVD had.
Old 11-29-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Even with MPEG-2, they could've put the commentaries on there.
Old 11-29-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been on the fence about this one. I'll wait till the next round of sales and pick this one up.
Old 11-29-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually think this is one of, if not the, most underrated epics in the last several years. Although I can see how a movie with that type of ending would not play well given the current political state the nation is in.
Old 11-29-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like this movie, but I do think it would be immensely better and recognized as such if it had a remotely interesting or engaging actor in the leading role, rather than Orlando Bloom.
Old 11-29-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Amazon details/reviews was making me think that this had some of the special features. *sigh*. I should have known better, from Fox.
Old 11-29-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really like the movie, I just wish the BD had some extras on it... I'll probably cave and get it the next time it's under $15.
Old 11-29-07, 06:25 PM

I already have the SD of this cut, so I guess I've got all the extras. Can't wait to grab this transfer at a good price.

The theatrical cut is pure puke. But, this DC was award worthy. A really excellent epic.
Old 11-29-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just picked this up from Fry's for $13.99. It's definitely worth it for that price for a great HD picture, and the sound is house shaking. For that price, I don't mind as much that they would release a bare bones edition if they were regularly that price. No way in hell would I have shelled out $34.99 for the movie only. And dammit, they have all those extras on the 4 disc DVD set, why can't they stick them on a second disc....

I haven't been reading up on Fox releases, but is it becoming a standard to have the sound only in DTS HD 5.1 and not even have an English Dolby Digital 5.1? They have Spanish or French in 5.1.

Last edited by E Unit; 11-29-07 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-30-07, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
No way in hell would I have shelled out $34.99 for the movie only.
Actually, in Canada that's about where the price is for this film. more like $30 actually. But I will still buy this for sure. Kingdom of Heaven the Director's Cut is easily one of my favourite films and in my opinion one of the best films made in the last decade or so. $30 isn't too much to pay for such a fantastic film in beautiful HD.
Old 11-30-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Now now, this isn't Alexander we're talking about.
Oliver Stone needs to make a Oh I Fucked Up Three Times But The 4th Time's A Charm And Here's The Chronological Final Cut Edition. The movie is utterly ridiculous. Gave me a headache. I would've kept my stomach contents if it was chronological, instead of going back and forth from one stone age to the other.

Oh, but it looks great in HD.
Old 04-27-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched the BD from Netflix and I couldn't agree more PopcornTreeCt. The picture is stunning to say the least. And I enjoyed this movie a great deal. Wasn't bored at all! I'd give the movie a 9/10 and the PQ 10/10.
Old 04-27-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was my first ever viewed Blu-Ray (and HD disc in general), which set my expectations quite high. Not many have beat it.
Old 04-27-08, 07:22 PM

It's my favorite movie of all time. As soon as there's a deal or massive drop. I buy for the 3rd time.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.