Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kingdom of Heaven is jaw-droppingly gorgeous

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Kingdom of Heaven is jaw-droppingly gorgeous

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moleman1138
It's my favorite movie of all time. As soon as there's a deal or massive drop. I buy for the 3rd time.
Target had it on sale for $19.99 this past week. It's been on sale before at Amazon.
Old 04-27-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Target had it on sale for $19.99 this past week. It's been on sale before at Amazon.
Crap, I was just there. I saw several titles for $19.99. Didn't realize this was one of them. Do you know how long sales Target last?
Old 04-27-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Crap, I was just there. I saw several titles for $19.99. Didn't realize this was one of them. Do you know how long sales Target last?
This sale ended yesterday. They go from Sunday - Saturday.
Old 04-27-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Will be one of the first titles I get when I get my Blu-ray player.
Old 04-27-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This sale ended yesterday. They go from Sunday - Saturday.
Crap! I was pissed to see "I, Robot" also on sale for $19.99 after finding it the lowest at like $27.99 last week.
Old 04-28-08, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the best films of the new century with one of the most beautiful transfers yet to grace Blu-ray. Highly recommended in every way.
Old 04-28-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Crap! I was pissed to see "I, Robot" also on sale for $19.99 after finding it the lowest at like $27.99 last week.
Damn. I missed that too.
Old 04-28-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Heh. I got it for $15. I traded it for Fifth Element with a member here.
Old 04-03-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Kingdom of Heaven is jaw-droppingly gorgeous

Just watched this again tonight on BD. It is truly one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. Also, I think I enjoy it now more than "Gladiator". It definitely feels more epic.
Old 04-03-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've had the thing for like 7 months and still haven't opened it.

I don't know who told me but they said it was jaw-droppingly gorgeous.
Old 04-04-09, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The transfer is flawless. I mean it, it's perfect. I couldn't believe it when I was watching it. The combination of the day time exteriors and John Mathieson's (Gladiator) cinematography make it the most visually impressive experience I've witnessed on both formats.

BTW, the movie isn't too bad either.
Thanks for the tip. Have been meaning to pick up the DVD for a while, now. Glad I waited. Amazon still has it for $19.99. Hopefully it'll stay that way long enough for me to get my gift certs.
Old 04-04-09, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The transfer is flawless. I mean it, it's perfect. I couldn't believe it when I was watching it. The combination of the day time exteriors and John Mathieson's (Gladiator) cinematography make it the most visually impressive experience I've witnessed on both formats.

BTW, the movie isn't too bad either.
Believe it or not, I think it could be better. I bought this a while back and finally have it playing, and the scenes with fire in the night could have much better. We're talking compression issues here, not noise or anything else. The reason is because the bitrate is lower due to some dumbass wanting to put this entire goddamn film on one disc AND...more dumbassness putting this on a MPEG-2 codec. The worst of both worlds.

It should've been on a BD-100 if it was MPEG-2 if they wanted it on one disc. Or two BD-50's.

This movie is way too long to be served HD justice on a single BD-50 with the MPEG-2 encode. If you guys take a closer look at black levels and black colors in general, you'll see what I'm talking about. The compression fucks it up. Of course daylight scenes will be great. You don't need a high bitrate for this at all. Shit, you could get away with just over 12Mbps and nobody would be the wiser. But darker scenes (and switching from dark to light especially) require a lot more data to push the blacks in their proper perspective.

So, out of 10, I'd give this transfer a 7.5. This could have been MUCH better. I'll watch the film entirely but the first 30mins sure didn't impress me much.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-04-09 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-04-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kk725
Thanks for the tip. Have been meaning to pick up the DVD for a while, now. Glad I waited. Amazon still has it for $19.99. Hopefully it'll stay that way long enough for me to get my gift certs.
Go to Half.com or Ebay. I'm sure you'll find a new copy cheaper.
Old 04-04-09, 10:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I bought it at Fry's for $13.99 back during the format war days. I love this movie so I probably would have paid more. I agree with most everyone else, both picture and sound are definitely worth showing off. My only gripe is that they excluded every extra from the DVD releases. Now i Have 3 copies of the movie. I still hope they re-release a 2-disc set SE and bring those back.
Old 04-04-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can get this at inetvideo for cheap if you wait for their free shipping sale and get a few extra other titles. I got mine for around $13 I think.

Btw, when Orlando Bloom is in the shadows...his head of dark hair goes completely black, revealing no detail in his hair at all--except for when you see a lighted background on the edges of his head, and then you ascertain he has a few strands of hair versus wearing a black cap.

That's compression for yah. This title is not a great title to show off for video quality. I disagree with anyone who says it is (Well, I take that back because if nobody knows the difference...then knock yourselves out). Personally, I thought it was going to be a good transfer, but now, after watching it entirely...it could have been MUCH better.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-04-09 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-04-09, 04:56 PM

With my luck, the second I go out and buy it, they'll announce the 2 disc Blu-Ray special edition is down the pike.
Old 04-04-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whomod
With my luck, the second I go out and buy it, they'll announce the 2 disc Blu-Ray special edition is down the pike.
I hung onto my 4-disc DVD with all of the the extras so I don't care what they do with the blu down the road.
Old 04-04-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I wanted to eventually get this film since I never saw the better version of the film, but I guess I'll wait to see if anything better gets released for it in the future.
Old 04-04-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd recommend renting the Blu-ray version.
Old 04-06-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The point was to not only highlight the Blu-ray but also the cinematography in the movie. Crank may technically look better on Blu-ray. But who fucking cares?
Old 04-06-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Target has marked this down to $17.99.
Old 04-06-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd wait for the eventual double dip of this. The DVD had two discs worth of bonus content, plus it was pretty neat to have the Intro and Intermission music...
Old 04-06-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The point was to not only highlight the Blu-ray but also the cinematography in the movie. Crank may technically look better on Blu-ray. But who fucking cares?
I care. And the movie doesn't just look better, it's probably the best-looking BD I currently own.
Old 04-06-09, 04:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I'd wait for the eventual double dip of this. The DVD had two discs worth of bonus content, plus it was pretty neat to have the Intro and Intermission music...
And the DVD of the threatrical cut had the Pilgrim's Guide during the movie (trivia facts), and the second disc has some A&E docs and behind the scenes stuff that's not included in the extras in the director's cut set.
Old 04-06-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like my cinematography free of posterization. But that's just me.