Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter Limited Edition Giftset Years 1-5 question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Harry Potter Limited Edition Giftset Years 1-5 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 10:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'm going to buy them anyway...why not spend $5 more and get the very cool packaging? I'm not waiting 3-4 years for the super boxset.
I wonder how they'll entice fans to buy that version - through the inclusion of extended tv cuts of the first three movies and say commentary tracks... (thinking aloud here).
Old 12-04-07, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I wonder how they'll entice fans to buy that version - through the inclusion of extended tv cuts of the first three movies and say commentary tracks... (thinking aloud here).
They could have a new gift set after every movie and they would still sell like crazy

I just can't see myself spending $20-25 for each movie individually when the whole gift set is $105 on Amazon. Seems like a no brainer and an easier re-sell if I choose to.
Old 12-04-07, 10:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
They could have a new gift set after every movie and they would still sell like crazy

I just can't see myself spending $20-25 for each movie individually when the whole gift set is $105 on Amazon. Seems like a no brainer and an easier re-sell if I choose to.

redundancy - aint it a bitch
Old 12-04-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm just going to upgrade the past three movies, which were my favorites.
Old 12-05-07, 07:34 AM
Banned

High-Def Digest has posted Peter M. Bracke's reviews of the new Harry Potter. A rare 5-star rating for both PQ and AQ on both formats (although the HD-DVD gets a huge advantage on the supplements front).

http://www.highdefdigest.com/
Old 12-05-07, 06:57 PM
Suspended

Does Amazon have the best deal for this set in hd-dvd right now?
Old 12-05-07, 11:10 PM

Bought it yesterday from the Warner store for $83.21. Taxable to me in Florida, unfortunately, for a total of $88.62. That's with the 25% off code DCBM.

Phil
Old 12-05-07, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by pmreed
Bought it yesterday from the Warner store for $83.21. Taxable to me in Florida, unfortunately, for a total of $88.62. That's with the 25% off code DCBM.

Phil
With a shipping date of who knows when

Amazon is still the best deal for delivery on release week.
Old 12-05-07, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pmreed

Phil
Thanks for posting the coupon Phil, just ordered an am hoping I get it in time
Old 12-06-07, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just can't see myself spending $20-25 for each movie individually when the whole gift set is $105 on Amazon.
Yep, five discs for $20 each or $100 for all five. That's quite a sav ... oh, wait. There seems to be a flaw in your argument.
Old 12-06-07, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by MJG87
With a shipping date of who knows when

Amazon is still the best deal for delivery on release week.
I don't care if it doesn't come 'til February, I've seen all the movies in the theater and have the first four in SD. I've still got the 10% off available to me for the Amazon release, but Warner is still about 6 bucks less. I can wait.
Besides, I've got a backlog of over 100 discs and a hundred or so hours on my 622 DVD w/750 Gig HD to watch.

Phil
Old 12-11-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just received the BD boxset from Amazon, & the packaging blows. None of the movies are in standard cases, but in booklets.... and the booklets for the 1st 2 movies are half the size of the last 3 movies. I had planned on storing the 5 movies with my other HDs & stashing the box, now I wish I had planned on purchasing the 5 individual titles instead.
Old 12-11-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got back from Future Shop where I mulled around for 20 minutes trying to figure out which format I was going to buy this in. So far, I've been more impressed by what I've seen on HD-dvd, but I'm really nervous about these rumors of Hd-dvd going belly up if Warner decides to choose Blu-ray . Needless to say, I came home with nothing.
Old 12-11-07, 03:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99
I just received the BD boxset from Amazon, & the packaging blows. None of the movies are in standard cases, but in booklets.... and the booklets for the 1st 2 movies are half the size of the last 3 movies. I had planned on storing the 5 movies with my other HDs & stashing the box, now I wish I had planned on purchasing the 5 individual titles instead.
Thanks for the warning. I'm going to get the individual releases if that's the case.
Old 12-11-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Thanks for the warning. I'm going to get the individual releases if that's the case.
I just noticed the picture... if you look here, the top 3 smaller "booklets" are the bonus DVD & the 1st 2 movies. Underneath them are the last 3 movies, and those booklets are about an inch taller than a standard BD case. Also, there is no typing on the spines to distinguish which is which. I guess the bonus DVD might make the boxset worthwhile, but I still don't like the packaging.
Old 12-11-07, 03:47 PM
Suspended

Frys has 50+ blu-ray boxsets and not a single HD DVD one. Good job Warner.
Old 12-11-07, 05:56 PM

Wally-worlds around me had _0_ boxsets in any format, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray or PO-DVD (Plain Ol' DVD). The ever so helpful walmonkeys came up with responses ranging from "The boxset will be out when all 7 movies are released" to "Ummm. The studios (?!) did not send us any." Went to Best Buy where the set is $5 or so more expensive, they had four or five HD-DVD boxes and one Blu-ray box. I thought briefly about which version to get, the big stumbling block was the hybrid disc for the HD-DVD standalone release, and settled on HD-DVD. I figure the extras are worth it, and since I already ate the hardware investment I cannot help but benefit from the continued format war so I might as well contribute to the HD-DVD sales stats.

BTW What's the Fry's price on the HD sets?
Old 12-11-07, 06:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm watching Order of the Phoenix right now. What a stunning picture.
Old 12-11-07, 07:16 PM

After you remove the shipping plastic there is room for another blu ray case in the gift suitcase (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in 2009 do ya?).

Being that Deathly Hallows won't be on video till probably Holidays 2010, you will have this box set work for you for 3 years no problem. Ebay it after Thanksgiving of 2009 perhaps and you'll recoup well methinks.

Anyway, I would recommend those on the fence should buy the box set now rather than go with the individual releases. I would imagine its a money saver for sure, not to mention the fact that it just looks totally pimp on your desk (I am sure the 5 stand alones look okay but come on its Potter why not go a bit decadent?).

Last edited by indiansbsa; 12-11-07 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll just get the first four HP's on BD when Amazon has them up for BOGO. Don't you love all these acronyms?
Old 12-11-07, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by indiansbsa

Anyway, I would recommend those on the fence should buy the box set now rather than go with the individual releases. I would imagine its a money saver for sure, not to mention the fact that it just looks totally pimp on your desk (I am sure the 5 stand alones look okay but come on its Potter why not go a bit decadent?).
4 older Potter movies @ $20, Potter #5 @ $28 (this week or $16 @ BOGO next week) roughly equal to 1 boxset @ $110 (this week at Best Buy). The box does give you a nice cardboard box, some bookmarks, crap non-standard disc packaging and a disc of extras. Hard to argue on value, it is a judgment call for most I'd imagine. Depends on how much you care for the non-movie stuff and don't care about the non-standard packaging.
Old 12-11-07, 07:40 PM

Gizmo, are you in SoCal? I went to the Concord Fry's (NorCal) and all they had were the HD DVD's of Order of the Phoenix. Some doofus tried to convince me that Harry Potter was only available on HD DVD.

This problem smells like a Fry's error.

Of course, WB actually sent me the HP Box Set I cancelled two weeks ago. That would go under, "Good job Warner."

fitprod
Old 12-11-07, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Fit,
Oxnard frys. At least 50 blu-ray sets, 0 HD DVD, 0 DVD. They had all single versions of the movies though.
Old 12-11-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hammer99
I just noticed the picture... if you look here, the top 3 smaller "booklets" are the bonus DVD & the 1st 2 movies. Underneath them are the last 3 movies, and those booklets are about an inch taller than a standard BD case. Also, there is no typing on the spines to distinguish which is which. I guess the bonus DVD might make the boxset worthwhile, but I still don't like the packaging.
Yikes thanks for the heads up. I guess it's singles for me then.
Old 12-11-07, 10:23 PM

Just a quick heads up for those on the fence.

The disc art is different in the stand alone releases vs. the box set. Although many have complained about the sleeves (I couldn't care less- I'll house em in the box no issue), the disc art is very appealing and I much prefer it to what I have seen from the stand alone releases, both today and in the past.

Here they are for those interested:

Last edited by indiansbsa; 12-11-07 at 10:25 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.