DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Harry Potter Limited Edition Giftset Years 1-5 question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/517735-harry-potter-limited-edition-giftset-years-1-5-question.html)

jezza01 11-19-07 06:21 PM

Harry Potter Limited Edition Giftset Years 1-5 question

In Canada will this set contain "the Sorcerer's Stone" or "the Philosophers Stone" like the original DVD release??
thanks in advance
Jezza

Gizmo 11-19-07 06:26 PM

Are these extra features or movies? I'm confused. I would assume they would be identical to the American releases?

bunkaroo 11-19-07 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by jezza01
In Canada will this set contain "the Sorcerer's Stone" or "the Philosophers Stone" like the original DVD release??
thanks in advance
Jezza

Amazon.ca has the first movie release on Blu-Ray and HD DVD listed as Philosopher's Stone, so I would assume the Canadian box set would also have it.

Gdrlv 11-19-07 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Are these extra features or movies? I'm confused. I would assume they would be identical to the American releases?

He's talking about the title of the movie. In the US, the film was called "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone." Everywhere else, it was called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone."

Gizmo 11-19-07 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
He's talking about the title of the movie. In the US, the film was called "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone." Everywhere else, it was called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone."

Gotcha. Ive never read or scene anything about Harry Potter so the HD DVD box set will be pretty interesting for me.

Joxer 12-01-07 12:43 PM

I have a question about the movies. Whenever they air on ABC they add the deleted scenes. However, I have the two-disc sets of the first 4 movies and I can't seem to find these scenes anywhere. Will these "extended versions" be on the Hi-Def DVD releases?

Qui Gon Jim 12-02-07 06:38 AM

I will try to be strong. I want this, but I don't want an "obsolete" set when films six and seven release. I will continue with the SD series and go HD when the box set of all seven hits.

basketb 12-02-07 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Joxer
I have a question about the movies. Whenever they air on ABC they add the deleted scenes. However, I have the two-disc sets of the first 4 movies and I can't seem to find these scenes anywhere. Will these "extended versions" be on the Hi-Def DVD releases?

For The Sorcerer's Stone, here's a description of how to access the deleted scenes.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/eggs/read.php?ID=648
Same for Chamber of Secrets here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/eggs/read.php?ID=711

bookcase3 12-02-07 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I will try to be strong. I want this, but I don't want an "obsolete" set when films six and seven release. I will continue with the SD series and go HD when the box set of all seven hits.

I'm also skipping the box, but I do plan on picking up the latest in HD DVD.

Giles 12-03-07 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gdrlv

I actually heard the actor's had to do double different takes on those scenes where the stone is referred to as the Philosopher's/Sorceror's.

Josh Z 12-03-07 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
I actually heard the actor's had to do double different takes on those scenes where the stone is referred to as the Philosopher's/Sorceror's.

That's correct.

mike2 12-03-07 09:38 AM

I'm not really into harry potter but this is just screaming double dip...I mean you know they'll come out with a complete box set in 2010.

cisman 12-03-07 10:13 AM

I too am passing on this box set but will probably pick up this one in HD because the action was awesome especially at the end.

Gizmo 12-03-07 01:21 PM

I managed to sell the other 4 HP DVDs (all 4 unopened, lol) for $50 on ebay. An additional $50 to upgrade those 4 + the new one is well worth the price for me. The HP DVDs seem to hold decent value too.

I believe the boxset has room to hold 2 additional HD DVD/Blu-ray movies as well, for the next 2 movies in the series. So while a complete set may come out (in 4 years), at least you can add the other 2 movies inside if you wish.

bboisvert 12-03-07 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Giles

Yes, the stone is mentioned 2-3 times in the film... and the dialog is different ("Sorceror's") in the U.S. version than in any other country.

Dan 12-03-07 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I believe the boxset has room to hold 2 additional HD DVD/Blu-ray movies as well, for the next 2 movies in the series. So while a complete set may come out (in 4 years), at least you can add the other 2 movies inside if you wish.

I can't remember where I read this (probably AVS), but I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that the box will NOT have room for the last two installments. The confusion seemed to be that, because it's listed as a 7-disc box set, people thought it meant there was room for the last two. BUT, there's actually two extra discs in the set (I can't remember what's on them).

Someone PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong, because I want to get this for my girlfriend for Christmas, but she'll kill me if the set doesn't have space for the last two films.

Gizmo 12-03-07 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I can't remember where I read this (probably AVS), but I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that the box will NOT have room for the last two installments. The confusion seemed to be that, because it's listed as a 7-disc box set, people thought it meant there was room for the last two. BUT, there's actually two extra discs in the set (I can't remember what's on them).

Someone PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong, because I want to get this for my girlfriend for Christmas, but she'll kill me if the set doesn't have space for the last two films.

Hmm...I wonder if the extras come in the "book" like cases that the movies come in. If not, you could always put those in paper sleeves so you would have enough room for the next 2 movies. I'm surprised we don't have proper reviews of this set yet.

Rusty James 12-03-07 02:16 PM

The giftset is called Harry Potter Years 1-5. So it seems kind of obvious that it will not have slots for the sixth and seventh movies.

bookcase3 12-03-07 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty James
The giftset is called Harry Potter Years 1-5. So it seems kind of obvious that it will not have slots for the sixth and seventh movies.

This is why I'm going to skip this box set and instead pick up the past two or three movies in their regular HD DVD versions. Even though the packaging is often very nice, I can live without complete collections unless they have some really great exclusives -- for instance, I picked up the Ocean's Trilogy box because it was the only way to get Oceans 11 & 12. So down the line, if the Potter movies get exclusive director's cuts, I'll bite. Otherwise, I can live with the stand-alone versions.

Gizmo 12-03-07 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty James

Its called 1-5 because thats all the movies released. If they called it 1-7 people would be wondering why the two unproduced movies are not included :)

Qui Gon Jim 12-04-07 07:38 AM

Then they could have called it just "Harry Potter." I will NOT bite on anything that does not house all seven films.

Just this week, we were noting all of the special complete series TV sets that are out from the cool Seinfeld, Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, Full House, MacGuyver, MASH, etc etc etc.

We will not buy anything that is a long running series until the whole thing is out. You'll get it all cheaper in the end with extra stuff if you just wait.

Besides that, if I get the HD DVD 1-5, and HD DVD goes tits up before number 7 hits, then I'd have five or six red boxes and one blue. Lame. I'll wait, and by then the market will have determined where my buying habits will be, be it HD DVD or BD.

kenbuzz 12-04-07 08:02 AM

Lordy, am I the only one who is getting this set just for the movies?

I got in on the B&N/MasterCard dealio back in September and preordered this for a net of 60% off. My total out of pocket cost was $54.12, shipped, after using a couple of Gift Cards that were lying around the house. (linky)

I really don't care about the box, or the trading cards, or the bubble gum, or the magic wand, or the pouch of lint from Emma Watson's belly button, or any the rest of the stuff.... I just want the movies, and ~$11 each for 5 HD DVD movies seems like a good price.

juanmgonzalez 12-04-07 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Lordy, am I the only one who is getting this set just for the movies?

I really don't care about the box, or the trading cards, or the bubble gum, or the magic wand, or the pouch of lint from Emma Watson's belly button, or any the rest of the stuff.... I just want the movies, and ~$11 each for 5 HD DVD movies seems like a good price.

Thank you

I don't know how folks can get all worked up about packaging, inserts, slipcovers, etc.

I'll watch the movies like kenbuzz and let everyone else worry about whether or not a package that is put on a shelf is color coordinated

PerryD 12-04-07 10:06 AM

I'm guess the SD copies are good enough for people with small screens. For me, I can't wait to replace my copies with the HD set! I'll worry about the 7 movie set after it comes out in 2010.

Gizmo 12-04-07 10:18 AM

I'm going to buy them anyway...why not spend $5 more and get the very cool packaging? I'm not waiting 3-4 years for the super boxset.