Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dirty Harry HD Boxset?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Dirty Harry HD Boxset?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty Harry HD Boxset?

Whatever happend to this?

Seems like I remember reading about a New HD only Dirty Harry series boxset. I think this fall was the release date, but I can't find anything on it.

Anyone know?
Old 11-12-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, I remember that was talked about last year. It didn't pan out I guess. Maybe they'll release it at the same time as the 10th, er, 11th anniversary edition of L.A. Confidential.
Old 11-12-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or they Directors Cut of Dark City.
Old 11-13-07, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the last thing I read (way back in May) was that Warner's was preparing to do 4K restoration/transferring of 'Sudden Impact' and 'Magnum Force' to High Def - still waiting for more newer news.
Old 11-13-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
The movies were supposed to coincide with the release of the video game, correct? With the game having been canceled, I'd say the set has been put on the back burner for now.
Old 11-14-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a home media retailing article about it...thats about the only thing i ever saw.
Old 11-14-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is the game flat out cancelled? A Warner Canada rep said this was still on track for release around the same time as the game but that the game was likely to take a lot longer than originally expected ie. late 2008-2009 at best.
Old 03-10-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's info on the upcoming 6/3 BD & DVD Dirty Harry boxset with some pictures. Looks very nice!

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...php?startid=38

Old 03-10-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BD extras listings from the DVDTimes:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=67192

Warner Home Video have announced the US Blu-ray Disc of the Dirty Harry Ultimate Collector’s Edition on 13th June 2008. Paying homage to Clint Eastwood and the films that gave birth to the modern action hero this set brings together all five Dirty Harry films, plus hours of all-new enhanced content, unique memorabilia, a film-inspired map of San Francisco and more.

Dirty Harry, the renegade Harry Callahan armed with his ubiquitous .44 Magnum and famous lines that changed the American lexicon forever, will be released as a Dirty Harry Special Edition (the only film in the collector’s set available separately to consumers in Blu-ray Hi-Def format), Magnum Force Deluxe Edition, The Enforcer Deluxe Edition, Sudden Impact Deluxe Edition and The Dead Pool Deluxe Edition will also be released separately in standard definition.

“Clint Eastwood and Dirty Harry have made our day for 37 years,” said Jeffrey Baker, SVP/GM Theatrical Catalog. “What better way to celebrate Warner Brothers’ 85th anniversary than by re-releasing this iconic film franchise. Clint and the Harry Callahan anti-hero character he created are indelibly etched into the consciousness of movie-goers everywhere. His five Dirty Harry films look as fresh and contemporary today as ever. And now, thanks to their timeless staying power and new digitally re-mastered DVD formats, they will continue to resonate with old fans and new generations for years to come.”

The UCE set is priced at $129.95 SRP on Blu-ray Disc with the separate release of Dirty Harry Special Edition priced at $34.99 SRP.

Dirty Harry Special Edition
Set in San Francisco in 1971, Dirty Harry is the gritty and suspenseful film that follows the story of Inspector Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood), who earns the moniker ‘Dirty Harry’ for his reputation of handling the dirtiest homicidal cases. The City by the Bay faces the terror of a serial killer known as Scorpio (Andrew Robinson), who viciously snipes at innocent victims and demands ransom through notes left at the scene of the crime. Callahan is assigned to the case along with his newest partner, Inspector Chico Gonzalez (Reni Santoni) to track down Scorpio and stop him. Using humiliation along with cat and mouse type games against Callahan, Scorpio is put to the test by the cop with the very dirty attitude.

Special Features:
New Commentary by Richard Schickel -- Filmmaker and Eastwood biographer Schickel examines the landmark film that revolutionized cinematic crime drama for all time.
New Featurette The Long Shadow of Dirty Harry -- An examination of the influence and legacy of Dirty Harry.
Featurette Dirty Harry: The Original -- Clint Eastwood and the film’s creators look back at the birth of the modern action hero: Dirty Harry.
Featurette Dirty Harry’s Way -- A promotional short on the movie Dirty Harry focusing on the toughness of the movies’ main characters.
Interview Gallery -- Includes interviews with Patricia Clarkson, Joel Cox, Clint Eastwood, Hal Holbrook, Evan Kim, John Milius, Ted Post, Andy Robinson, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Robert Urich.
1993 TV Special Clint Eastwood: The Man from Malpaso -- A look at the life and career of actor/director Clint Eastwood, including scenes from his past film and television work and interviews with friends, fellow actors and crew members who have worked with him over the years.
Trailer Gallery -- Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool

Magnum Force Deluxe Edition
Magnum Force, which was released in 1973 as a sequel to Dirty Harry has Eastwood reprise his famous role as Inspector Callahan, which has him face crooked cops and a traitorous boss as well as suffering re-assignment from homicide to stakeout duty after his handling of the Scorpio case. Callahan and his new partner, Earlington “Early” Smith (Felton Perry), are called off a case in which a man acquitted of murder is found dead along with his chauffer, lawyer and bodyguard. Soon after, a mafia figure, and several of his family and friends are also gunned down. Then, a well-known pimp is murdered too. Callahan and ‘Early’ are soon re-assigned to investigate the homicides.

Special Features:
New Commentary by writer John Milius -- In this gritty, entertaining commentary, legendary Hollywood screenwriter Milius discusses Eastwood, the world of Dirty Harry and the rugged resilience of crime drama in American cinema.
New Featurette A Moral Right: The Politics of Dirty Harry -- Filmmakers, social scientists and authors take a provocative look at the moral, political and ethical themes of the Dirty Harry films.
The Hero Cop: Yesterday and Today
Trailer Gallery

The Enforcer Deluxe Edition
Released in 1976, The Enforcer marks the third installment in the Dirty Harry franchise. The film’s plot has Inspector Callahan (Eastwood) paired with a new partner, policewoman, Inspector Kate Moore (Tyne Daly), as they hunt for a group of terrorists that are blackmailing the city of San Francisco for two million dollars. Callahan, none-too-pleased by being teamed up with a woman, must put his job first and the two attempt to shut down the terrorists. Moore, however, proves herself after she and Callahan pursue the terrorists to their hideout in the prison of Alcatraz.

Special Features:
New Commentary by director James Fargo. Director Fargo takes an entertaining look at the film that launched his career as a director, including the day Clint Eastwood nonchalantly let him know he had the job.
New Featurette The Business End: Violence in Cinema An unflinching look at the ongoing debate on violence in cinema.
Featurette Harry Callahan/Clint Eastwood: Something Special in Films
Trailer Gallery

Sudden Impact Deluxe Edition
Sudden Impact is Eastwood’s fourth Dirty Harry film. Released in 1983, follows Inspector Callahan (Eastwood) as he’s shipped to San Paulo, a small town down the coast to investigate a murder. The killer is Jennifer Spencer (Sondra Locke) who out for revenge is murdering all the rapists that gang-raped her and her little sister 10 years ago. During his investigations, Callahan becomes entangled in Jennifer’s own troubles - all the while never suspecting that she’s the killer.

Special Features:
New Commentary by renowned film critic Richard Schickel -- Author and longtime Eastwood associate Schickel uncovers layers of meaning in this, the only Dirty Harry film directed by Eastwood himself
New Featurette The Evolution of Clint Eastwood -- An examination of the film in the context of Eastwood’s broader career as a director.
Trailer Gallery

The Dead Pool Deluxe Edition
The final film in the collection is The Dead Pool, which was originally released in 1988. The Dead Pool finds Inspector Callahan (Eastwood) investigating an unusual betting game played by a film director and his crew, which has the players create a list of 10 celebrities they think will die. The winner is the one with the highest number of dead celebrities. Soon, however, people on the list begin to die under mysterious circumstances. Callahan is assigned to the case and discovers his name has made the list.

Special Features:
New Commentary by producer David Valdes and Cinematographer Jack N. Green, who discuss the challenging and rewarding experience making this the final chapter in the Dirty Harry series.
New Featurette The Craft of Dirty Harry -- A look at the cinematographers, editors, musicians, production designers and other talent of the Dirty Harry series.
Trailer Gallery

Dirty Harry Ultimate Collector’s Edition
(5-disc Blu-ray Hi-Def format)

Includes all five Dirty Harry films; all special features on the Dirty Harry Special Edition and Deluxe Editions, plus additional special features and contents specific to the Ultimate Collector’s Edition.

UCE Special Features and Contents:
Bonus Feature-Length documentary Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows
40+ page hardcover book
Wallet w/metal badge and removable laminated I.D. card
Five 5”x 7” Reproduction Lobby Poster Cards plus an exclusive UCE card
Scorpio Portrait of a Killer Poster-Sized (19” x 27”) map of San Francisco detailing Harry’s hunt for the killer
Never-Before-Seen Production Correspondence
Old 03-10-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is the single-disc BD edition $35 list? I hope this is an isolated case, as every other Warner catalog title (except the 5-disc Blade Runner set) has listed for $29.
Old 03-10-08, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Why is the single-disc BD edition $35 list? I hope this is an isolated case, as every other Warner catalog title (except the 5-disc Blade Runner set) has listed for $29.
It's the same price as the upcoming Bonnie & Clyde, which is in that silly Blu-ray/Book collector's packaging. It looks like this will be the standard price for these cases for now.

fitprod
Old 03-10-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fitprod
It's the same price as the upcoming Bonnie & Clyde, which is in that silly Blu-ray/Book collector's packaging. It looks like this will be the standard price for these cases for now.

fitprod
Oh, great. I know; I should look on the bright side: at least charging extra is better than not releasing titles like these at all.
Old 03-10-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WOW. I can't wait for this now. The features on this are going to rock. I'm loving the broader stuff on the sequels: featurettes about the series' politics and morality, violence in film, Eastwood's evolution as director, and the craft of the series? DEFINITELY buying this now.
Old 03-13-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if it's the final cover but DVDEmpire has put up the cover for the Dirty Harry SE single release. Is this supposed to be one of those "book" SE's as the left edge of the cover would indicate? Kinda interesting. I believe this is the first BD "exclusive" title, so maybe they're changing to the banner on top as well.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...8574&searchID=

They also apparently have the front and back of the Dirty Harry BD Collector box set as well. Those are pretty cool.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...8584&searchID=
Old 03-13-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I just soiled myself...

Old 03-13-08, 02:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Amazon has the single Dirty Harry disc up for preorder - but not the Box Set (yet).
Old 03-13-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some more images of the Dirty Harry solo book packaging, courtesy of DVDTimes UK

Old 03-13-08, 06:47 PM

Looks like WB is doing these book things alot now with their "classic" films. It's good to see they're giving you the same packaging and extras for the Blu-Ray ultimate collection as they are for the standard DVD.