Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox Lowers Pricing on (22) Blu Ray Catalog Titles

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-13-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...y_Catalog/1563

Becoming the first major studio to issue an extensive next-gen price cut, Fox has announced it is discounting nearly two dozen of its top Blu-ray catalog releases.

Effective immediately, the studio will reduce the list price of 22 Blu-ray titles by $10, from $39.98 to $29.98. (All discs are currently available for order at Amazon.com for between $14.49 and $19.95 each.)

The complete list of newly-reduced Fox titles include: '28 Days Later,' 'Behind Enemy Lines,' 'Broken Arrow,' 'Cast Away,' 'Chain Reaction,' 'The Devil Wears Prada,' 'Edward Scissorhands,' 'Flight of the Phoenix (2004),' 'The Fly (1986),' 'From Hell,' 'Entrapment,' 'Fantastic Four,' 'Kiss of the Dragon,' 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,' 'Men of Honor,' 'The Omen (2006),' 'Planet of the Apes (2001),' 'Rising Sun,' 'The Sentinel (2006),' 'Speed,' 'The Transporter' and 'Transporter 2.'

Although Fox has issued no official comment on its pricing policies, a studio rep confirmed to us that the price reduction applies to these select titles only, and does not represent an across-the-board change in the studio's standard Blu-ray MSRP of $39.98.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 03-13-08 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-13-08, 12:51 PM

Although Fox has issued no official comment on its pricing policies, a studio rep confirmed to us that the price reduction applies to these select titles only, and does not represent an across-the-board change in the studio's standard Blu-ray MSRP of $39.98.
aw pooh - I agree new releases might be the standard expensive MSRP, but catalog titles in general should be alot less. (simliar to WB's pricing)
Old 03-13-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Fly is a must-buy for $20 on Blu.

Might grab The Devil Wears Prada (don't make fun of me please) eventually.
Old 03-13-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

The real joke is that they were trying to get $40 for a catalog title.

They all need to rethink pricing strategy to have BD take a decent chunk of the market from DVD.
Old 03-13-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Several of the titles are 13.50-15.00 at amazon.
Old 03-13-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are right at the sweet spot for a catalog title I want. If they drop 2-3 more bucks, they'll be impulse buys and I'll double my buy list.

-beebs
Old 03-13-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles
aw pooh - I agree new releases might be the standard expensive MSRP, but catalog titles in general should be alot less. (simliar to WB's pricing)
That's what I figured. Sucks. At least lower it to $34.99.
Old 03-13-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People who aren't brand new to BD probably have most or all of the titles they want from that list anyway thanks to the BOGO deals. I was hoping they'd lower the price across the board so it would include titles like I, Robot, and Predator when it comes out.

I thought it was kind of funny how they had to put dates after several of them because they're remakes (though The Fly is quite good). How about giving us the original versions of The Omen and Flight of the Phoenix?
Old 03-13-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably lowering prices before the new rereleases come out! I was hoping for a cheaper I, Robot as well though.