HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Anyone pick up OldBoy BD?

Old 11-08-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone pick up OldBoy BD?

I was wondering on what the review on the American release of this feature had and if it was better than the Japanese version (other than it contains English Subs).

Was it worked from the same Master?

I'm sure Pro-B will be here shortly..
Old 11-08-07, 09:31 PM

i pre ordered it from amazon and it still hasn't shipped. even best buy has their shipments of oldboy delayed. weird.
Old 11-08-07, 10:44 PM

It looks fabulous, I just finished watching it.
Old 11-08-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dyerjp
i pre ordered it from amazon and it still hasn't shipped. even best buy has their shipments of oldboy delayed. weird.
Guess I got lucky, mine came on Tuesday from Amazon.... haven't had a chance to check it out yet, this is Pixar week.
Old 11-08-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by vcuram
It looks fabulous, I just finished watching it.
That's not what I heard...

I've read a couple reviews from people that watched it that said it was better than the DVD but not much else.
Old 11-08-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was pretty underwhelmed. It looks flat and grainy, but that could be how it's intended to look. Don't expect a lot of HD "pop". I'm not saying it's bad, but it's not going to "wow" anyone on the fence about HD.
Old 11-08-07, 11:36 PM

time to cancel that order then
Old 11-09-07, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That's not what I heard...

I've read a couple reviews from people that watched it that said it was better than the DVD but not much else.
That's what I consider fabulous. It's an upgrade over the DVD, that's all I care about. I don't base my HD purchasing on how each title compares to King Kong or The Hulk or Spiderman.
Old 11-09-07, 01:40 PM

DVDBeaver has a review of the Blu-Ray:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...oy_blu-ray.htm
Old 11-10-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the lazy:

"Video:

While I've never been keen on the film - I was interested to see a BRD by Tartan. I don't know positively, but suspect this might be their first 'kick at the can'. This is probably one of their biggest sellers in SD (compared HERE) so it would seem expected that it might reach high-definition one day if the company was to venture into this new format production.

As the film incorporates a number of cinematographic techniques it is hard to critique the image quality with any assurance. I did not see this theatrically and can make no comparisons excepting to the SD DVD(s) of the film that I own. The wild swings from adeptly contrasted and detailed visuals to an intensely grainy appearance with intentional blurriness are all exemplified by the blu-ray MPEG 4 AVC compression. Everything tends to look more so - colors are brighter, detail is superior but not extravagantly so and the grainy sequences look like they have been projected on a thick carpet (it reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut on hi-def in that regard). I can't be positive, but I did note what seemed to be a flaw when the titles credits were shown - there was a bluish sheen infiltrating the image on the right hand side of the screen. This doesn't appear again throughout the film. Again, it may have been intentional and not picked up fully on SD. Digital noise is far less on the BRD than the SD(s) and although noticeable at times is unusual if not distracting upon the narrative. Overall, the image has some consistently strong moments but never reproduces the 3D depth that we come to associate with exceptional high-definition. Saying that though it does look very strong and I hope the captures below bear that out to some degree."