HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Can't Get Dolby TrueHD from my PS3! Help!

Old 11-02-07, 10:23 PM

Can't Get Dolby TrueHD from my PS3! Help!

I'm having trouble getting my PS3 to output Dolby TrueHD. I'm connected to a receiver that decodes TrueHD via HDMI cable, but when I check the output from the PS3, it is downconverting the mix to 640 kbps. What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-02-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The PS3 will not send the bitstream TrueHD track (or DTS HD MA) to a receiver. When you set it to do so, and select a TrueHD track, it only sends the 640kbps core. Set the PS3 to send PCM out and it will decode the TrueHD track and send it as PCM to your receiver.
Old 11-03-07, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really hope there will be an upgrade to the PS3 so that it can send out True HD and DTS HD MA to a receiver via that audio instead of decoding it back to PCM.

I guess I'm just spoiled by the new HD-A35 HD DVD Player that actually shows True HD and DD + on the receiver instead of just PCM
Old 11-03-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Since it wouldn't sound any different, that will probably be a low priority for them. I just wish they could get DTS-HD MA decoding working, along with upscaling of SD material (extras) on BDs.
Old 11-03-07, 07:40 AM
Banned by request

Agreed on all points, Drexl.
Old 11-03-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would also like it if they would add automatic bookmarks on DVDs/BDs so that when you take a disc out and put it back in, it will remember where you were. My $100 Sony DVD player does this for up to 40 discs.

I do like the bookmark feature in Spider-Man 3, it's a step in the right direction.