Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

WAL-MART HD-DVD player under 99 bucks!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 10-31-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No longer a rumor!

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?secti...e117144-lLink1
Old 10-31-07, 11:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'll go buy one tomorrow and price match it...right? Should work. There is no time limit for the sale so I could go any time on Friday....
Old 10-31-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was wondering about the times aswell!

Looks like i will be returning my 250 dollar player from Coscto! Thank you costco for your 90 return period!
Old 10-31-07, 11:33 PM

Is it certain that they will price match if I go and buy one tomorrow, or do I have to wait and try to get one on Friday.
Old 10-31-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good question. The "Terms and Conditions" linked at the bottom of the ad do not contain any limitations on price-matching. I am so tempted to go grab a few for Christmas presents.
Old 10-31-07, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I imagine Wal-Marts can't sell them now anyway. But Best Buy might price match...
Old 10-31-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"the store we dare not name" will PM
Old 10-31-07, 11:48 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if your Walmart has a bunch out now, you could probably try the old "hide one the night before amongst some other crap" and grab it Friday morning.
Old 10-31-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmm, i am a strong blu ray supporter, but i guess i could use a really good dvd upconverter.
Old 10-31-07, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
"the store we dare not name" will PM
Problem is most stores that I've seen don't have them in stock any more, online or in store. BB, CC, nadda. Sears is where I found mine. I initially pricematched the CC price yesterday, then went back today and pricematched the BB price, now I'm going to have to go back Friday and PM the Wally World price. I think I'll go to a different Sears on Friday.
Old 11-01-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I heard Wal-Mart will special "Boothes" in an x-mas section of the stores.
The players advertised for this sale probably won't be put out until thursday night.
You can bet that come 8am friday the mid to high volume wal-marts will have these players. They wouldn't be advertising this sale if they weren't.
Old 11-01-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Well, knowing the WM's in my area, they won't have the HD players. And since mine didn't even have the HD-DVD player, I doubt it'll be there Friday...

Will this be available online? I tried looking it up but the Toshiba isn't up on the site at all.
Old 11-01-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone know if amazon will price match this or do i have to send mine back?
Old 11-01-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Here's a moral dilemma for you guys:

Wouldn't it technically be better for the format if people who don't own HD DVD at all were to get the ~$100 players?

Think about it - those people would likely spend the savings buying more discs than they would have.

For those of us who already have HD DVD, buying one of these players wouldn't necessarily make us buy more discs right away. In my case, I have pretty much every HD DVD I want right now. Plus it takes the player out of the hands of another potential recruit, so to speak.

Just a random thought I had. Probably should be ignored.

Crazy deal either way.
Old 11-01-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Here's a moral dilemma for you guys:

Wouldn't it technically be better for the format if people who don't own HD DVD at all were to get the ~$100 players?

Think about it - those people would likely spend the savings buying more discs than they would have.

For those of us who already have HD DVD, buying one of these players wouldn't necessarily make us buy more discs right away. In my case, I have pretty much every HD DVD I want right now. Plus it takes the player out of the hands of another potential recruit, so to speak.

Just a random thought I had. Probably should be ignored.

Crazy deal either way.
I'm confused by the moral dilemma. Are you talking about people buying this player for $100 who already own an HD-DVD player?

Anyway, I don't own one (don't even have an HDTV yet) but this is a great deal and I might as well get it now rather than paying $60-70 more later.
Old 11-01-07, 01:34 AM

Two weeks ago I thought I wouldn't be in the HD dvd "era" for another year or so. Than last friday I bought the Xbox 360 hd-dvd player with Heroes season 1, Planet Earth and The Ultimate Matrix Box set, plus king kong and 5 more free hd-dvds thru the mail in rebate for $180. I thought that was gonna be the deal of the year until I see this. I do not have a up converting dvd player so I am going to be getting this and then deciding if I should keep both or try to sell the 360 add on. hurray for the possibility of buying 2 hd-dvd players within a two week span.
Old 11-01-07, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a few questions to ask, that will be the deciding factor of whether I buy this player on Friday, or not.

I do not have an HDTV. I have a Sony 27 inch Trinitron television, that has component inputs, which, to my understanding, does 480p. I do have a Pioneer DVD player that has component outputs, but, I don't have the cables. So, I don't actually take advantage of that, even though I should. I have my DVD player connected to my television via S-Video. My questions are these: If I buy this Toshiba HD-A2, would I notice any improvement in picture quality with my current set-up, playing standard DVD's? What about playing HD-DVD's, without an HDTV? Does the HD-A2 have component output? Does it have S-Video connection? Would I even be able to connect it to my television?

I just don't want to spend the money, even if it is only $100, if I'm not going to notice any difference.

I appreciate anyone that can answer my questions. I've been holding out for a while, but, I'll hold out even longer, if it doesn't make any difference with my current television. Eventually, I'm going to get an HDTV, but, that's a bit down the road.
Old 11-01-07, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, it will not look any different on your tv.
Old 11-01-07, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to the manual, the A2 does have component and S-video outputs but it can only upconvert via HDMI, not over component. You would need an HDTV to view HD content, including HD-DVDs.

I'm guessing you wouldn't notice any significant difference over your current setup, especially with a 27" screen. BUT this is still the deal of the year in HD (so far) and I imagine it's going to be hard to snag one of these players for $99 come Friday morning, so if you think you might be going HD in the near future now may be the time to pick up a cheap player (and 5 free HD-DVDs if that promotion is still active ).

Last edited by ResIpsa; 11-01-07 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
I have a few questions to ask, that will be the deciding factor of whether I buy this player on Friday, or not.

I do not have an HDTV. I have a Sony 27 inch Trinitron television, that has component inputs, which, to my understanding, does 480p. I do have a Pioneer DVD player that has component outputs, but, I don't have the cables. So, I don't actually take advantage of that, even though I should. I have my DVD player connected to my television via S-Video. My questions are these: If I buy this Toshiba HD-A2, would I notice any improvement in picture quality with my current set-up, playing standard DVD's? What about playing HD-DVD's, without an HDTV? Does the HD-A2 have component output? Does it have S-Video connection? Would I even be able to connect it to my television?

I just don't want to spend the money, even if it is only $100, if I'm not going to notice any difference.

I appreciate anyone that can answer my questions. I've been holding out for a while, but, I'll hold out even longer, if it doesn't make any difference with my current television. Eventually, I'm going to get an HDTV, but, that's a bit down the road.
Get both the A2 and the Sanyo 50" at Wal-Mart. For just under $1,100 it's an amazing deal.
Old 11-01-07, 05:37 AM

Sweet! I've been wanting an hd-dvd/upconverting dvd player, and this price hits the spot nicely. I hope they'll have them locally.

Time to go neutral!

Btw, that tv and laptop look like great deals too!
Old 11-01-07, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it. As far as buying both the HD-A2 and the Sanyo 50 ", I would love to, especially at the price, but, I just don't have that kind of money, right now.
Old 11-01-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
That is just ridiculous. I wish I needed and HDTV and another HD player right now. I might have to get one for my dad though.
Old 11-01-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well this certain is a twist coming after WB's comments. I like the fact that HD-DVD won't go down without a fight.

We all know that hardware isn't where you make your money. The more players in houses, the more titles that can be sold.

However, had HD-DVD been able to release ET, Jurrassic Park, Indiana Jones, and Braveheart, or even had the Matrix available as a standalone title, this would have moved even more units.
Old 11-01-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Im more interested in if any other HD-DVDs will be $14.96 than the ones listed... But hopefully I maybe able to get my 2nd HD-DVD player.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.