DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   WAL-MART HD-DVD player under 99 bucks! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/515988-wal-mart-hd-dvd-player-under-99-bucks.html)

kevin75 11-01-07 08:00 AM

i hope that my WM will carry these. then i will have to return the one i just bought from amazon.

Bill Geiger 11-01-07 08:18 AM

It does state not available in all stores. So obviously, YMMV.

bookcase3 11-01-07 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well this certain is a twist coming after WB's comments.

What are those?

DVD Josh 11-01-07 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
What are those?

Basically, that WB is reconsidering their dual support position. They will cast their lot with one format after the Q4 numbers.

kevin75 11-01-07 08:37 AM

i wonder if the 8am time is local or starts at 8am EST?

bookcase3 11-01-07 08:53 AM

HD-DVDs will certainly get a boost if Wal-mart throws their hat in the ring -- never underestimate its influence over mainstream America. And prices in general will be a boost to HD-DVDs: I was proclaiming that I would wait out the format war just a week ago, and then bought an HD-DVD player this week when the prices went below $200. (I think I'll also hit Best Buy tomorrow and ask for a price match for Walmart, and then spend that money on getting some HD-DVDs.)

ScissorPuppy 11-01-07 09:44 AM

All 25 Wal-Marts in within 50 miles of Atlanta state the A2 as being in stock!

8AM HERE I COME!

Now where is the best place to get a decent HDMI cable. (not online, I wants some instant gradification!)

madara 11-01-07 09:53 AM

Sweet, sounds like few of you are get some new toys tomorrow!. Personally I'm not into stop gaps so I will wait until next year with decent model that does 1080p. This reminds me of early dvd, I jumped the gun way too many times on what I thought were one time amazing deals only wish I wanted on next one that was better. Plus having to actually walk into Walmart ...

TheMovieman 11-01-07 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
All 25 Wal-Marts in within 50 miles of Atlanta state the A2 as being in stock!

How can you tell? Is it when you find a store near you and shows "available" under "Site to Store Status"?

ScissorPuppy 11-01-07 10:12 AM

Yeah I checked last night and eariler today and it didn't list anything as available or unavailable, nothing. I checked about an hour so or ago and it's listed as available.

There are 4 wal-marts near me, I am bound to get one somehow!

rexinnih 11-01-07 10:15 AM

Anybody know any details or specs on the Sanyo Plasma?

TheMovieman 11-01-07 10:16 AM

So it is under store locator, right? If so, I wonder if that means the player will be at all of those because mine also lists the smaller WM's as having them, including one in Cottage Grove (small town) which I doubt would have it as well. I thought the available means that the free shipping to that Wal Mart is available. Of course, maybe they will be at more stores than we thought.

Damed 11-01-07 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Anybody know any details or specs on the Sanyo Plasma?

http://us.sanyo.com/entertainment/te...productID=1449

* Native Panel Resolution
1365 x 768 pixels (WXGA)
* Picture Brightness
1000 cd/m2
* Contrast Ratio
8000:1
* Digital Scanning Display Format
720p (all signals converted to 720p display)
* Television Systems
NTSC, ATSC, Clear QAM
* RF Antenna Input
Analog/ Digital - 75 ohm
* Audio Video Input Jacks
Video Input 1:
Composite Video or S-Video and Audio (R/L)
Video Input 2:
Component (Y,Pb,Pr) Video and Audio (R/L)
Video Input 3:
Component (Y,Pb,Pr) Video and Audio (R/L)
HDMI Inputs (3):
19-pin connector (Picture/Sound with HDCP)
* Audio Output Jacks
1-coaxial digital
1-analog(R/L) fixed
* Speakers
Two (front) 6 x 12 cm
* Sound Amplifier
Built-in 7 W/ch
* Power
120v AC, 60hz
* Power Consumption
460 Watts
* Size (W x H x D)
49.4" x 33.3" x 11.1"
* Weight
102 lbs.

ScissorPuppy 11-01-07 10:25 AM

I called a few stores near me.

Store 1 - Yeah, we got a pallet of them in yesterday, but we can't sell them until tomorrow ( A PALLET!!!)

Store 2 ( As known in this area a "ghetto mart" ) - huh? Ah, hold on. You said you were looking for an HD player? HD is a tv not a dvd player.
(Um, I hung up after than comment)

Store 3 - Yes, we have some but we cannot comment on future secert sales. " But I have seen the ad" oh, you mean tomorrow? Yes, 98 bucks 8am.

Store 4 - 50 in stock with 20 on players on display, with more possibly coming.
( This guy seemed to really know what he was talking about ). He said there was a meeting this morning disscussing ALL of the secert sales. He was eger to talk to a customer who actually knew " What they were talking about". he kept holding back, saying things like wait until xmas gets here. He said the player isn't going to get any cheaper than 98 bucks, but the titles, eh. He stopped himself!

Bill Geiger 11-01-07 10:27 AM

I think the "available" under site to store in fact means, site to store is available, and that is it.

BravesMG 11-01-07 10:27 AM

Does WM sell warranties? If so, does anyone know how much the warranty on this will be?

Edit: And do you think it will be limited to one per customer?

TheMovieman 11-01-07 10:28 AM

I called a few stores near me.

Store 1 - Yeah, we got a pallet of them in yesterday, but we can't sell them until tomorrow ( A PALLET!!!)

Store 2 ( As known in this area a "ghetto mart" ) - huh? Ah, hold on. You said you were looking for an HD player? HD is a tv not a dvd player.
(Um, I hung up after than comment)

Store 3 - Yes, we have some but we cannot comment on future secert sales. " But I have seen the ad" oh, you mean tomorrow? Yes, 98 bucks 8am.

Store 4 - 50 in stock with 20 on players on display, with more possibly coming.
( This guy seemed to really know what he was talking about ). He said there was a meeting this morning disscussing ALL of the secert sales. He was eger to talk to a customer who actually knew " What they were talking about". he kept holding back, saying things like wait until xmas gets here. He said the player isn't going to get any cheaper than 98 bucks, but the titles, eh. He stopped himself!
Cool. I had called last night and although the guy knew about the sale, he didn't know what he would be getting in. Guess I'll call later this afternoon. Hopefully the one near me will have it because I don't want to drive across town in morning traffic to the others.

stingermck 11-01-07 10:39 AM

Damnit. For once I wish I was still working in Electronics at Walmart. I used to hoard BF movies, and all these other sales. :)

bunkaroo 11-01-07 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'm confused by the moral dilemma. Are you talking about people buying this player for $100 who already own an HD-DVD player?

Yeah that's what I meant. I certainly understand the allure of getting another box for somewhere else in the household, but if the quantities are limited, I would think the format would be better off if those players landed in first time buyers' hands.

Rusty James 11-01-07 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Now where is the best place to get a decent HDMI cable. (not online, I wants some instant gradification!)

You can get a great one at any Apple store for $25. Not as cheap as online, but better than what you'd pay at most B&Ms.

Bill Geiger 11-01-07 10:59 AM

Just called the one closest to me (that I feel comfortable going to), was told they have 5 dozen. However, he had no idea about the secret sale. I had to inform him of it. He was very nice.

For those in the Montgomery County area (Philadelphia), this was the Horsham store.

StephenX 11-01-07 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Just called the one closest to me, was told they have 5 dozen. However, he had no idea about the secret sale. I had to inform him of it. He was very nice.

For those in the Montgomery County area (Philadelphia), this was the Horsham store.

Are any of these *in stock, or just in the store for the 8am sale tomorrow? I am wondering if it is possible to buy them today and pm tomorrow? (Though it probably isn't).

cisman 11-01-07 11:11 AM

Most are saying it's not possible to PM. They can't even sell them AT ALL until 12am tonight according to WM rules.

The ? is can you buy after 12am for 198 (Normal Price) and go in during lunch to PM.. I'm going in to my WM during lunch today and will find out.

Bill Geiger 11-01-07 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by StephenX
Are any of these *in stock, or just in the store for the 8am sale tomorrow? I am wondering if it is possible to buy them today and pm tomorrow? (Though it probably isn't).

I was told they were in the back, and would PROBABLY be put out overnight.

Artman 11-01-07 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Here's a moral dilemma for you guys:

Shopping at Wal-Mart would be mine... and should be everyone's imo.