DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   WAL-MART HD-DVD player under 99 bucks! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/515988-wal-mart-hd-dvd-player-under-99-bucks.html)

ScissorPuppy 10-31-07 11:15 PM

WAL-MART HD-DVD player under 99 bucks!

No longer a rumor!

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?secti...e117144-lLink1

Gizmo 10-31-07 11:16 PM

I'll go buy one tomorrow and price match it...right? Should work. There is no time limit for the sale so I could go any time on Friday....

ScissorPuppy 10-31-07 11:17 PM

I was wondering about the times aswell!

Looks like i will be returning my 250 dollar player from Coscto! Thank you costco for your 90 return period!

Edubble 10-31-07 11:33 PM

Is it certain that they will price match if I go and buy one tomorrow, or do I have to wait and try to get one on Friday.

ResIpsa 10-31-07 11:45 PM

Good question. The "Terms and Conditions" linked at the bottom of the ad do not contain any limitations on price-matching. I am so tempted to go grab a few for Christmas presents.

Gizmo 10-31-07 11:46 PM

I imagine Wal-Marts can't sell them now anyway. But Best Buy might price match...

ScissorPuppy 10-31-07 11:47 PM

"the store we dare not name" will PM

aktick 10-31-07 11:48 PM

Well, if your Walmart has a bunch out now, you could probably try the old "hide one the night before amongst some other crap" and grab it Friday morning. :p

ryuryu2949 10-31-07 11:54 PM

hmm, i am a strong blu ray supporter, but i guess i could use a really good dvd upconverter.

aktick 10-31-07 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
"the store we dare not name" will PM

Problem is most stores that I've seen don't have them in stock any more, online or in store. BB, CC, nadda. Sears is where I found mine. I initially pricematched the CC price yesterday, then went back today and pricematched the BB price, now I'm going to have to go back Friday and PM the Wally World price. rotfl I think I'll go to a different Sears on Friday.

ScissorPuppy 11-01-07 12:07 AM

From what I heard Wal-Mart will special "Boothes" in an x-mas section of the stores.
The players advertised for this sale probably won't be put out until thursday night.
You can bet that come 8am friday the mid to high volume wal-marts will have these players. They wouldn't be advertising this sale if they weren't.

TheMovieman 11-01-07 12:15 AM

Well, knowing the WM's in my area, they won't have the HD players. And since mine didn't even have the HD-DVD player, I doubt it'll be there Friday...

Will this be available online? I tried looking it up but the Toshiba isn't up on the site at all.

Joeboo835 11-01-07 12:22 AM

Anyone know if amazon will price match this or do i have to send mine back?

bunkaroo 11-01-07 12:41 AM

Here's a moral dilemma for you guys:

Wouldn't it technically be better for the format if people who don't own HD DVD at all were to get the ~$100 players?

Think about it - those people would likely spend the savings buying more discs than they would have.

For those of us who already have HD DVD, buying one of these players wouldn't necessarily make us buy more discs right away. In my case, I have pretty much every HD DVD I want right now. Plus it takes the player out of the hands of another potential recruit, so to speak.

Just a random thought I had. Probably should be ignored. ;)

Crazy deal either way.

TheMovieman 11-01-07 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Here's a moral dilemma for you guys:

Wouldn't it technically be better for the format if people who don't own HD DVD at all were to get the ~$100 players?

Think about it - those people would likely spend the savings buying more discs than they would have.

For those of us who already have HD DVD, buying one of these players wouldn't necessarily make us buy more discs right away. In my case, I have pretty much every HD DVD I want right now. Plus it takes the player out of the hands of another potential recruit, so to speak.

Just a random thought I had. Probably should be ignored. ;)

Crazy deal either way.

I'm confused by the moral dilemma. Are you talking about people buying this player for $100 who already own an HD-DVD player?

Anyway, I don't own one (don't even have an HDTV yet) but this is a great deal and I might as well get it now rather than paying $60-70 more later.

Y2J850 11-01-07 01:34 AM

Two weeks ago I thought I wouldn't be in the HD dvd "era" for another year or so. Than last friday I bought the Xbox 360 hd-dvd player with Heroes season 1, Planet Earth and The Ultimate Matrix Box set, plus king kong and 5 more free hd-dvds thru the mail in rebate for $180. I thought that was gonna be the deal of the year until I see this. I do not have a up converting dvd player so I am going to be getting this and then deciding if I should keep both or try to sell the 360 add on. hurray for the possibility of buying 2 hd-dvd players within a two week span.

MadonnasManOne 11-01-07 02:27 AM

I have a few questions to ask, that will be the deciding factor of whether I buy this player on Friday, or not.

I do not have an HDTV. I have a Sony 27 inch Trinitron television, that has component inputs, which, to my understanding, does 480p. I do have a Pioneer DVD player that has component outputs, but, I don't have the cables. So, I don't actually take advantage of that, even though I should. I have my DVD player connected to my television via S-Video. My questions are these: If I buy this Toshiba HD-A2, would I notice any improvement in picture quality with my current set-up, playing standard DVD's? What about playing HD-DVD's, without an HDTV? Does the HD-A2 have component output? Does it have S-Video connection? Would I even be able to connect it to my television?

I just don't want to spend the money, even if it is only $100, if I'm not going to notice any difference.

I appreciate anyone that can answer my questions. I've been holding out for a while, but, I'll hold out even longer, if it doesn't make any difference with my current television. Eventually, I'm going to get an HDTV, but, that's a bit down the road.

Fandango 11-01-07 03:45 AM

No, it will not look any different on your tv.

ResIpsa 11-01-07 03:53 AM

According to the manual, the A2 does have component and S-video outputs but it can only upconvert via HDMI, not over component. You would need an HDTV to view HD content, including HD-DVDs.

I'm guessing you wouldn't notice any significant difference over your current setup, especially with a 27" screen. BUT this is still the deal of the year in HD (so far) and I imagine it's going to be hard to snag one of these players for $99 come Friday morning, so if you think you might be going HD in the near future now may be the time to pick up a cheap player (and 5 free HD-DVDs if that promotion is still active :D).

Grubert 11-01-07 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
I have a few questions to ask, that will be the deciding factor of whether I buy this player on Friday, or not.

I do not have an HDTV. I have a Sony 27 inch Trinitron television, that has component inputs, which, to my understanding, does 480p. I do have a Pioneer DVD player that has component outputs, but, I don't have the cables. So, I don't actually take advantage of that, even though I should. I have my DVD player connected to my television via S-Video. My questions are these: If I buy this Toshiba HD-A2, would I notice any improvement in picture quality with my current set-up, playing standard DVD's? What about playing HD-DVD's, without an HDTV? Does the HD-A2 have component output? Does it have S-Video connection? Would I even be able to connect it to my television?

I just don't want to spend the money, even if it is only $100, if I'm not going to notice any difference.

I appreciate anyone that can answer my questions. I've been holding out for a while, but, I'll hold out even longer, if it doesn't make any difference with my current television. Eventually, I'm going to get an HDTV, but, that's a bit down the road.

Get both the A2 and the Sanyo 50" at Wal-Mart. For just under $1,100 it's an amazing deal.

toldawg128 11-01-07 05:37 AM

Sweet! I've been wanting an hd-dvd/upconverting dvd player, and this price hits the spot nicely. I hope they'll have them locally.

Time to go neutral!

Btw, that tv and laptop look like great deals too!

MadonnasManOne 11-01-07 06:06 AM

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it. As far as buying both the HD-A2 and the Sanyo 50 ", I would love to, especially at the price, but, I just don't have that kind of money, right now.

steebo777 11-01-07 07:23 AM

That is just ridiculous. I wish I needed and HDTV and another HD player right now. I might have to get one for my dad though.

DVD Josh 11-01-07 07:47 AM

Well this certain is a twist coming after WB's comments. I like the fact that HD-DVD won't go down without a fight.

We all know that hardware isn't where you make your money. The more players in houses, the more titles that can be sold.

However, had HD-DVD been able to release ET, Jurrassic Park, Indiana Jones, and Braveheart, or even had the Matrix available as a standalone title, this would have moved even more units.

FantasticVSDoom 11-01-07 07:55 AM

Im more interested in if any other HD-DVDs will be $14.96 than the ones listed... But hopefully I maybe able to get my 2nd HD-DVD player.

kevin75 11-01-07 08:00 AM

i hope that my WM will carry these. then i will have to return the one i just bought from amazon.

Bill Geiger 11-01-07 08:18 AM

It does state not available in all stores. So obviously, YMMV.

bookcase3 11-01-07 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well this certain is a twist coming after WB's comments.

What are those?

DVD Josh 11-01-07 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
What are those?

Basically, that WB is reconsidering their dual support position. They will cast their lot with one format after the Q4 numbers.

kevin75 11-01-07 08:37 AM

i wonder if the 8am time is local or starts at 8am EST?

bookcase3 11-01-07 08:53 AM

HD-DVDs will certainly get a boost if Wal-mart throws their hat in the ring -- never underestimate its influence over mainstream America. And prices in general will be a boost to HD-DVDs: I was proclaiming that I would wait out the format war just a week ago, and then bought an HD-DVD player this week when the prices went below $200. (I think I'll also hit Best Buy tomorrow and ask for a price match for Walmart, and then spend that money on getting some HD-DVDs.)

ScissorPuppy 11-01-07 09:44 AM

All 25 Wal-Marts in within 50 miles of Atlanta state the A2 as being in stock!

8AM HERE I COME!

Now where is the best place to get a decent HDMI cable. (not online, I wants some instant gradification!)

madara 11-01-07 09:53 AM

Sweet, sounds like few of you are get some new toys tomorrow!. Personally I'm not into stop gaps so I will wait until next year with decent model that does 1080p. This reminds me of early dvd, I jumped the gun way too many times on what I thought were one time amazing deals only wish I wanted on next one that was better. Plus having to actually walk into Walmart ...

TheMovieman 11-01-07 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
All 25 Wal-Marts in within 50 miles of Atlanta state the A2 as being in stock!

How can you tell? Is it when you find a store near you and shows "available" under "Site to Store Status"?

ScissorPuppy 11-01-07 10:12 AM

Yeah I checked last night and eariler today and it didn't list anything as available or unavailable, nothing. I checked about an hour so or ago and it's listed as available.

There are 4 wal-marts near me, I am bound to get one somehow!

rexinnih 11-01-07 10:15 AM

Anybody know any details or specs on the Sanyo Plasma?

TheMovieman 11-01-07 10:16 AM

So it is under store locator, right? If so, I wonder if that means the player will be at all of those because mine also lists the smaller WM's as having them, including one in Cottage Grove (small town) which I doubt would have it as well. I thought the available means that the free shipping to that Wal Mart is available. Of course, maybe they will be at more stores than we thought.

Damed 11-01-07 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Anybody know any details or specs on the Sanyo Plasma?

http://us.sanyo.com/entertainment/te...productID=1449

* Native Panel Resolution
1365 x 768 pixels (WXGA)
* Picture Brightness
1000 cd/m2
* Contrast Ratio
8000:1
* Digital Scanning Display Format
720p (all signals converted to 720p display)
* Television Systems
NTSC, ATSC, Clear QAM
* RF Antenna Input
Analog/ Digital - 75 ohm
* Audio Video Input Jacks
Video Input 1:
Composite Video or S-Video and Audio (R/L)
Video Input 2:
Component (Y,Pb,Pr) Video and Audio (R/L)
Video Input 3:
Component (Y,Pb,Pr) Video and Audio (R/L)
HDMI Inputs (3):
19-pin connector (Picture/Sound with HDCP)
* Audio Output Jacks
1-coaxial digital
1-analog(R/L) fixed
* Speakers
Two (front) 6 x 12 cm
* Sound Amplifier
Built-in 7 W/ch
* Power
120v AC, 60hz
* Power Consumption
460 Watts
* Size (W x H x D)
49.4" x 33.3" x 11.1"
* Weight
102 lbs.

ScissorPuppy 11-01-07 10:25 AM

I called a few stores near me.

Store 1 - Yeah, we got a pallet of them in yesterday, but we can't sell them until tomorrow ( A PALLET!!!)

Store 2 ( As known in this area a "ghetto mart" ) - huh? Ah, hold on. You said you were looking for an HD player? HD is a tv not a dvd player.
(Um, I hung up after than comment)

Store 3 - Yes, we have some but we cannot comment on future secert sales. " But I have seen the ad" oh, you mean tomorrow? Yes, 98 bucks 8am.

Store 4 - 50 in stock with 20 on players on display, with more possibly coming.
( This guy seemed to really know what he was talking about ). He said there was a meeting this morning disscussing ALL of the secert sales. He was eger to talk to a customer who actually knew " What they were talking about". he kept holding back, saying things like wait until xmas gets here. He said the player isn't going to get any cheaper than 98 bucks, but the titles, eh. He stopped himself!

Bill Geiger 11-01-07 10:27 AM

I think the "available" under site to store in fact means, site to store is available, and that is it.