Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray news and discussion PART 3

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Continued from Part 2:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=504092
Old 10-19-07, 10:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is a good time to reiterate that bashing is not allowed on either format. Please keep this in mind as you post here.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-19-07 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-20-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SomethingMore:

Really?

I'd say they left because they were actually questioned/confronted about the "information" they were giving.
The reason why they left is because Amir started bringing their real names to the public even though anonymity was agreed upon. That is why they moved away.

Regardless...it is old news!

Pro-B
Old 10-20-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Blu-Ray.com is pretty awful. I got banned from there within a few days. And I'm a PS3 owner.
Old 10-21-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

40GB PS3 bundled with Spiderman 3 BD now on Amazon.com

Article source:
http://www.psu.com/40GB-PS3-bundle-n...0001596-p0.php

The 40GB PlayStation 3 (bundled with Spider-man 3 BD) is well on it's way to the homes of future gamers with Amazon.com now taking pre-orders for Sony's next-generation game system. The website states it will be available on November 2nd; just in time for all of this year's holiday releases.

Listed features include a SIXAXIS controller, 1080p Hi-Def Video Output, Wi-Fi, a Blu-Ray Disc Player, and Spider-Man 3 on Blu-Ray. All in all, the 40GB PS3 has just about everything the other SKU's have to offer at the slight cost of hard disk space. With the 100 Dollar price difference this could be the edge Sony needs in order to dominate this holiday's sales.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 10-21-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, now I am seriously considering buying a 3rd PS3.
Old 10-21-07, 01:05 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The HUGE problem with that ad is

All in all, the 40GB PS3 has just about everything the other SKU's have to offer at the slight cost of hard disk space.
Which is WRONG. They need to mention that it is NOT Backwards Compatible and will not play PS2 games at all, ever. I'm hoping that is not the final artwork and they make mention of that fact somewhere on the box where normal folk can see it (not hidden on the sidebar in 8 inch font). Otherwise they are going to get a lot of unhappy customers thinking its BC like the other ones.
Old 10-21-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Time to Buy a PlayStation 3?

The experts believe it is time to get a PS3.

Article source: PC WORLD
http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/005721.html

It's officially official: the recently announced $400 40GB PlayStation 3 slips onto shelves in the United States on November 2, while the 80GB model drops $100 to $500, giving Sony a much needed one-two sales punch this coming holiday season. The 40GB model's arrival is crucial, because it's just $50 more than Microsoft's $350 Xbox 360 Premium.

I've spent plenty of time lambasting Sony for its arguably Napoleonic posturing this last year, and I think rightly so. The company must have known for months leading up to its debut last November that its pricing and component costs were out of control. Combine that with the PS3's incredibly powerful but developmentally grueling architecture, and the notion that Sony might have a Sega Saturn on its hands was hardly inconceivable.

But hold up a second. Leaving aside Sony's mediocre software library, which time and money suggests will look radically different in 2008, just what sort of value proposition is the PlayStation 3 in light of the latest price drops and model reshuffles? Let's have a look.

Note: Chart updated to clarify hard-drive upgradeability and add comparison pricing based on comparable specs.

Going by my chart, Sony's PlayStation 3 handily thumps Microsoft's Xbox 360 if you're judging apples to apples. Oh sure, you have more entry-level "bare-bones" buying options with the 360, but how many of you won't eventually pick up that $100 wireless card so you can play in front of any TV in the house without a cable? The hard drive (on the entry-level "Arcade" 360) so you can download demos and import music and store unlimited saved games and avoid jerky performance in certain hard-drive-preferred games? The $50 a year Xbox Gold membership so you can play Xbox 360 games against other players online? Even without the $180 HD-DVD player to view high-definition movies, add the rest up and you get "practical use" configurations that rate notably more expensive than Sony's all-in-one PlayStation 3.

Last week I asked "What do you want most this holiday season?" I expected the PS3 to take a drubbing. Out of 907 votes, the PS3 snatched 36% (323 votes), compared with 22% for the Wii (203 votes) and a marginal 8% (71 votes) for the Xbox 360.

A sign of things to come?

We've established that the PlayStation 3 is secretly less expensive than the Xbox 360 -- at least forty bucks -- if (and I say again, if) you load the 360 with comparable accessories like Wi-Fi, a hard drive, and online multiplayer. If high-def optical playback matters to you, add another $180 to the Xbox 360's tag and make room on your shelf for a bulky peripheral. If you want more storage, you can either pay the Microsoft Hard Drive Tax ($180 for a 120GB hard drive? I just bought a 320GB external at Best Buy for $80!) or go without, no ifs, ands, or buts. Unless you're willing to pay more long term for the privilege of paying less upfront, the PlayStation 3 is therefore probably the better deal, dollar for dollar.

But what about the games?

Of the two systems, Microsoft's Xbox 360 has the better overall exclusives library at the moment. BioShock, Halo 3, Geometry Wars, Forza 2, Project Gotham Racing 4 (and if we time travel a bit, Gears of War, Dead Rising, Dead or Alive 4, Viva Pinata, Crackdown, etc.). Sony has Resistance: Fall of Man, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, MotorStorm, and that's about it if we're not counting you loony bell curve throws who think Genji and Lair and Untold Legends were underrated. Granted, Microsoft's already played its 2007 holiday hand with Halo 3 and BioShock, and the only 360 exclusive I'm watching between now and December 31 is Bioware's Mass Effect.

What about Sony's holiday lineup? There's Eye of Judgment, the first PlayStation Eye game. Use real cards on a real cloth map to wage strategically complex fantasy battles against the computer or anyone else online, all courtesy the PlayStation Eye, which reads 2D bar codes off the cards and "judges" gameplay accordingly. Niche? Count on it, but hey, I'm not into card games, and I'm into Eye of Judgment. If that sounds even a little bit intriguing, you can read my review here at PC World in a day or two.

Then there's Time Crisis 4...a rail shooter. Sorry, but I simply despise rail shooters. Always have, always will, even if the new alternative FPS mode sounds one-thumb-halfway-up interesting. If you love rail shooters and pointing a light-gun-peripheral at your screen and having your perspective yanked around by a sadistic camera, count Time Crisis 4 in Sony's favor, even if I won't.

Most promising game on deck? Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. I can't talk about it yet, but oh what I'd say if I could...

That leaves Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Haze, which we've seen and heard little enough about of late that I wouldn't absolutely count on the latter game making its release date. Drake's Fortune is supposed to go gold any day but who knows and my Sony contact just emailed to confirm it's going to make its November 20th ship date.

Drake's Fortune has me thinking Treasure of the Sierra Madre or Raiders of the Lost Ark (or Tales of the Gold Monkey, if anyone remember that little TV gem). Designed by Naughty Dog, the guys responsible for Jak & Daxter and Crash Bandicoot, it may appeal to fortune hunting fans if it has more to sell than its pretty engine and some Tomb Raider worship. The other game, Haze, is a first-person shooter by Free Radical (the TimeSplitters guys) and looks like it wants to go hog-to-hog with Halo. Think more serious in tone than TimeSplitters, 24-player online battles, and an AI system (dubbed "Conspire") that's supposed to let enemies "react dynamically." What's "dynamically"? Good question. Everyone claims it -- no one ever quite lives up to it.

In other words, while Sony's revised PS3 pricing may be romancing your pocketbook, caveat emptor unless you're not expecting the Sony equivalent of A Very Halo 3 Holiday, or you're content to party with your PS2's (or in the case of the 40GB PS3, PS1-only) library.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 10-21-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, they're still calling it "Blu-ray DVD." Also, that chart is wrong about the non-Elite 360 models having HDMI. They probably should also mention that the Xbox emulation is limited.
Old 10-21-07, 03:37 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
that chart is wrong about the non-Elite 360 models having HDMI.
All 360s have HDMI now, including the recently released $280 Arcade bundle which was the core upgraded with HDMI, Wireless controller, some Live games, and 256MB(I think) memory card.

I'm a little disappointed that neither the PS3 or 360 are more aggressive with their system pricing. The original 60GB PS3 should be $399, not a stripped down version. And Microsoft should have dropped the standard model to $299 and killed the hard drive lacking core mode altogether. I think sales will continue to be subdued these holidays, they are overestimating the number of people willing to spend over $300 for a video game. The sweet spot will be $199, and it looks like it'll be next fall before the 360 gets there, and at least 2 more years before the PS3 gets there.
Old 10-21-07, 04:24 PM

I guess I'll be grabbing one. The price has come down enough to where I can split the cost with my brother who will be using the gaming aspect, and I the blu ray. Kinda excited now. Never thought I'd buy into blu ray but they have some pretty good movies that just aren't available on hd dvd so I'm in.
Old 10-21-07, 05:36 PM
Suspended

How about another 100 dollars off?

Thanks to the orignal poster DAMNSAM77 for posting this over in the blu-ray forum.

$299 PS3 w/ 7 Free BD Movies

Guys, sorry if this is a duplicate, I couldn't find anything on this new PS3 promo.

Ok here is the deal, this will be for the upcoming $399 PS3 (hitting shelves 11/02/07), and the deal only applies if you buy at the Sony Style Stores or Sony Style Website. The new $399 PS3 will come with the Free Spiderman3 BD movie, in addition to the 5 Free by mail BD movies, plus you can rack up enough Sony Style Card points to get another BD movie or two.

To take advantage of this offer, you will need to apply for the Sony Style store card which will qualify you for the $100 instant Discount and 12 months No Interest on all purchases $299 and up.

Direct Promo Link:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16167

Additional Details:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...msId=sony_card

Sony Card Benefits:
12 months no interest on purchases of $299 or more at SonyStyle2
Full Platinum Visa® benefits
5 Sony Rewards Points per $1 spent at SonyStyle.com, and Sony Style® stores3 (that equals 2000 rewards points = plenty for an additional Free BD movie or two)
Exclusive members-only deals on Sony products

Get a $100 card credit after your first qualifying purchase of $299 or more

Don't settle for an ordinary credit card. Enjoy more points, more savings, more prizes and more fun with Sony Card. Get instant approval and a $100 card credit after your first qualifying Sony Card purchase of $299 or more!

Find more online using the links provided above or visiting your local Sony Style Store (New Accounts Only)
Old 10-21-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I'd just wait for another $250 Chase CC Sign-up offer.

But then, thats just me.
Old 10-21-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
That article that Pro-B posted may seem like it is promoting the PS3 but when reading it, it actually seems to make the PS3 sound inferior...they just don't let the article come across that way.

The most important aspect that the article briefly touches on...the exclusive games. If that is the upcoming list that is supposed to make everyone want a PS3 or a 360...that's just sad. The PS3 exclusives don't come close to the list the 360 has out now. That's a fact.

The pack-ins that Sony is offering is inferior to the 360: I looked on metacritic.com for the reviews (instead of my personal opinion).
Spider-man 3 - a rating of 60 out of 100
Motorstorm - 82 out of 100

The 360 is giving two games with a rating of 82 & 90 out of 100 (Marvel Alliance & Forza respectively)
The basic model that comes with Arcade Unplugged had no rating that I could find on Metacritic but gamerankings.com gave it a ranking of 69 out of 100. (But who is going to buy the core system anyway?)

The PS3 only gives composite cables...lame. The Xbox at least gives component cables on the 20gb pro and both component and HDMI on the Elite. There is money cost right there that the article fails to mention.

No headset included for the PS3? Another extra money cost there as well that is not mentioned.

Yeah, Xbox charges $50 for live (but you can find 13 month cards out there for $40 or less at most places every week on sale) and no one who has played on both networks will argue that the PS3 network is superior or even on par to Xbox Live. That's a fact. Isn't $40 worth that?

Yeah, there is no wi-fi included and that can be a big deal for many. Personally I prefer to hard-wire my online connection due to dropouts and poor service from most wi-fi products and/or internet providers. There is nothing worse than getting lag in a game or being dropped out.

I will agree that the cost of the 360 add-on Hard-drive is outrageous. If they want to compete they really need to get real and lower that price.

I am by no means a PS3 basher or a Xbox fanboy. I am just pointing out many facts that the pro-PS3 article fails to mention. I have an interest in the PS3 but that article makes more strikes against it for me than ones that actually sell it. Just a thought.
Old 10-21-07, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Blu-Ray.com is pretty awful. I got banned from there within a few days. And I'm a PS3 owner.
Owning a PS3 doesn't mean a whole lot. There are many HD-DVD fans who may have a BD and go there to start a ruckus.
Old 10-21-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about another 100 dollars off?
Yeah if you apply for a credit card..not thanks.
Old 10-21-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
That article that Pro-B posted may seem like it is promoting the PS3 but when reading it, it actually seems to make the PS3 sound inferior...they just don't let the article come across that way.

The most important aspect that the article briefly touches on...the exclusive games. If that is the upcoming list that is supposed to make everyone want a PS3 or a 360...that's just sad. The PS3 exclusives don't come close to the list the 360 has out now. That's a fact.

The pack-ins that Sony is offering is inferior to the 360: I looked on metacritic.com for the reviews (instead of my personal opinion).
Spider-man 3 - a rating of 60 out of 100
Motorstorm - 82 out of 100

The 360 is giving two games with a rating of 82 & 90 out of 100 (Marvel Alliance & Forza respectively)
The basic model that comes with Arcade Unplugged had no rating that I could find on Metacritic but gamerankings.com gave it a ranking of 69 out of 100. (But who is going to buy the core system anyway?)

The PS3 only gives composite cables...lame. The Xbox at least gives component cables on the 20gb pro and both component and HDMI on the Elite. There is money cost right there that the article fails to mention.

No headset included for the PS3? Another extra money cost there as well that is not mentioned.

Yeah, Xbox charges $50 for live (but you can find 13 month cards out there for $40 or less at most places every week on sale) and no one who has played on both networks will argue that the PS3 network is superior or even on par to Xbox Live. That's a fact. Isn't $40 worth that?

Yeah, there is no wi-fi included and that can be a big deal for many. Personally I prefer to hard-wire my online connection due to dropouts and poor service from most wi-fi products and/or internet providers. There is nothing worse than getting lag in a game or being dropped out.

I will agree that the cost of the 360 add-on Hard-drive is outrageous. If they want to compete they really need to get real and lower that price.

I am by no means a PS3 basher or a Xbox fanboy. I am just pointing out many facts that the pro-PS3 article fails to mention. I have an interest in the PS3 but that article makes more strikes against it for me than ones that actually sell it. Just a thought.
Just to note, thats Spider-man 3 the movie on Blu, not the game. Kind of unfair to rate em the same since movies generally have a tougher time than games in terms of meta score. An 82 for Motorstorm is generous. But anyway, yeah, it is your standard article on the subject.

Theres no denying it is a fantastic value for those in the market for a Bluray player now, imo, both as a PS3 and Bluray player, the system is still $100 too expensive at $399.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-21-07 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-21-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
With the 100 Dollar price difference this could be the edge Sony needs in order to dominate this holiday's sales.[/i]

Ciao,
Pro-B
Interesting that they, and everyone here, seem to be ignoring the Wii. Which I believe is in the lead for sales this year. So, is this about movie machines or game machines?
Old 10-21-07, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Interesting that they, and everyone here, seem to be ignoring the Wii. Which I believe is in the lead for sales this year. So, is this about movie machines or game machines?
What forum are you in?
Old 10-21-07, 09:50 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, the Wii is still the hot ticket item a year after its launch, and going into this Christmas with titles like Mario Galaxy, it's easily going to take the sales lead for video game systems.
Old 10-21-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
as strictly a game machine, the ps3 is still too expensive even at $399. as possibly the best and most versatile blu-ray player, $399 is a pretty nice price.
Old 10-21-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Question: The current $600 80gb PS3 is a bundle, is the same bundle going to now be $500 or is it just the PS3 unit?

I'm hoping Amazon offers an additional blu-ray or two (like they were....included 300, blood diamond, etc) so I might hold out for a deal. (yes I know about the 5 blu-ray mail offer)
Old 10-21-07, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Artman
Question: The current $600 80gb PS3 is a bundle, is the same bundle going to now be $500 or is it just the PS3 unit?

I'm hoping Amazon offers an additional blu-ray or two (like they were....included 300, blood diamond, etc) so I might hold out for a deal. (yes I know about the 5 blu-ray mail offer)
The 80 gig is now 499 and still comes with Motorstorm for free inside the box. It also does PS2 gaming and SACD as well.
Old 10-21-07, 11:31 PM
Suspended

Old Spielberg films not going HD-DVD after all

We recently reported that Steven Spielberg movies were seen in Universal Studios' Japanese presentation for a HD-DVD event, sparking curiosity and raising eyebrows among the ranks of the format war-conscious. Fortunately, Spielberg's spokesperson Marvin Levy made things clear by saying that the content shown in the Universal presentation was a mistake and matters will be corrected by the film giant. "There are no plans to release these titles on HD DVD. It was a mistake and someone inadvertently put those titles into a presentation," says Levy.

Steven Spielberg has made it clear early in this generation of media formats that he was a Blu-ray supporter, and refused to have his past and future films distributed in the HD-DVD format, making it a very surprising sight to see the titles E.T., Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, and other all-time greats in a huge screen presented to a HD-DVD audience.

Universal, whom Spielberg has worked with in the past, took the side of HD-DVD a few months ago when it announced along with Dreamworks that it was going to go exclusive with the Toshiba-backed format. However, Spielberg's work has been declared exempted from the pact. Levy says Universal Studios is expected to issue a public statement in the following days to clear up the issue to everyone.
http://www.qj.net/Old-Spielberg-film.../49/aid/105588

Here's to Schindler's List only on Blu-ray.
Old 10-21-07, 11:39 PM
Banned by request

The 80GB also has partial BC, which is certainly better than no BC in the 40GB, but not as good as the full BC the 60GB had.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.