Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Stardust" on HD-DVD Amazon misprice ($18.99)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stardust was finally put up on Amazon, and it seems to be mispriced at $18.99. It shows a $29.99 MSRP instead of $39.99, so jump on it while you can! The 10% off isn't working on that title yet, so you'll have to email them if you're in on that deal.
Old 10-17-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-17-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It appears the mistake has been fixed; it's back up to $27.95 now:
http://www.amazon.com/Stardust-Rober...663925&sr=1-31
Old 10-17-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Hmmm...that's weird. I pre-ordered it a few days ago with this link from HDD:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000WTLDPU/

It appears there are two product pages for this.

The one I linked appears to be the more "valid" page since it has legitimate HD DVD art and such. I wonder if Amazon will pull the other listing.

EDIT: The one I linked doesn't even come up on a search at Amazon. Very strange.
Old 10-17-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too bad I missed it. I would've bought it at that price, I won't touch it at the regular price.
Old 10-17-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very odd. Here's the link for the $18.99 HD-DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...925343-7079206

When you search for Stardust under "DVD"'s, the above link is the first HD-DVD that comes up. The link that lizard posted doesn't show up until page 3.
Old 10-17-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It might have been for the DVD edition. Don't be surprised if you end up getting that shipped instead. It may be like what happened back in March with Borat on BD where people pre-ordered and got a UMD.
Old 10-17-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
It might have been for the DVD edition. Don't be surprised if you end up getting that shipped instead. It may be like what happened back in March with Borat on BD where people pre-ordered and got a UMD.
Well, in the link I just posted, it states that it's the HD-DVD, and shows up as "Stardust HD-DVD" in my account and in the confirmation email *shrug*.
Old 10-17-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Strange. It does say "Format: HD DVD", as you say, but under the Product details it says "DVD-video"

My guess is that is just a misprint by Amazon and it is intended to be the SD DVD listing.

You are correct that I had to go to page 3 to find the real HD DVD because the sales numbers aren't very high for the HD DVD thus far. No surprise at $27.95!
Old 10-17-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cartman
Well, in the link I just posted, it states that it's the HD-DVD, and shows up as "Stardust HD-DVD" in my account and in the confirmation email *shrug*.
Well, that's what happened with Borat. It showed up as "Blu-ray" but the price was lower than expected. Sometimes things get mislabled. I was even skeptical of the 5-disc Blade Runner set (without the briefcase and trinkets) for $27.95 but that now looks to be legitimate.
Old 10-17-07, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
^Strange. It does say "Format: HD DVD", as you say, but under the Product details it says "DVD-video"

My guess is that is just a misprint by Amazon and it is intended to be the SD DVD listing.

You are correct that I had to go to page 3 to find the real HD DVD because the sales numbers aren't very high for the HD DVD thus far. No surprise at $27.95!
I saw the same thing a month ago with Omega Man preorder for $9.99 so I posted it in the bargain thread. At the time the consensus was that it was SD DVD but there was never a listing for an SD version releasing the same date as the HD-DVD. They eventually just removed that duplicate HD-DVD product page. Not sure what happened to those who tried their luck on that one...
Old 10-17-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a feeling this isn't truly the HD version. My 10 percent discount doesn't work.