Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Foreign Cinema in BLU

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Foreign Cinema in BLU

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coming in Japan this November 7th:

Pro-B
Old 09-07-07, 08:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Die Hard 4 uncut in Japan or still the PG-13 version?
Old 09-10-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

tmp

UPDATE:

Scandinavian distributor Nordisk Film are set to release the following titles on BLU RAY this November 23 (please note that separate Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, etc pressing will be in circulation):

Children of Men

TMNT

Revolver (Guy Richie)

Knowing that the upcoming Scandinavian release of David Fincher's ZODIAC is going to be region-free I think it is safe to assume that these will be as well. Will confirm later.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-10-07 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thirteen Ghosts - UK, BD, October 22

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65880

I know it's not Citizen Kane, but I like it.
Old 09-10-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I like the title "Die Hard 4.0" so much better than the American title. I wonder if the movie's opening title credit reads the same?
Old 09-11-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am going to update the thread tomorrow morning into two sections: one for all Foreign/Arthouse productions and one for English productions released overseas (with specific notes for ALL region-free titles playable on US sold Blu-Ray players).

IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS as to the actual format, or else, please post here so I know what you prefer, like/dislike.

Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
Here's the cover work for Children of Men:

Old 09-11-07, 01:00 AM
Suspended

What does it take for a thread to become a sticky cause this needs to become one.
Old 09-11-07, 06:23 PM

I just found this on Amazon.de:

Does anyone know what the picture quality is like, or whether it is region coded? Maybe even forced subtitles or no German track?

As well as 12 Monkeys, there's also a Spanish Blu-Ray of Perfume:

Again, any news on region coding?

ali

Last edited by ali_b; 09-11-07 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by ali_b
Again, any news on region coding?
Ali:

A member of the Blu-Ray forum has confirmed that 12 Monkeys was apparently sourced from the same master the HDDVD is. Hence there are plenty of issues with the transfer!

I am sorry I could not provide an answer for your question regarding Perfume.

Pro-B

ps
I am working on the chart, I accidentally deleted some of the info this morning.
Old 09-12-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

update:

Take a look at the thread now and if you have any suggestions for improvement please let me know.

Pro-B
Old 09-12-07, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
update:

Take a look at the thread now and if you have any suggestions for improvement please let me know.

Pro-B
For the discs released, could you add region code (a, b, c or region free) and, if the film is not in english, something to indicate whether or not it has english subs?

ali
Old 09-12-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
The * means no english subs. region coding would be nice though... thanks pro-b, very helpful...
Old 09-12-07, 09:56 AM

OSS 117 and Paprika (Gaumont-France) are region free.
M6Video postponed "Underworld 1&2" boxset and "Asterix and the vikings" to December 5.
The french cartoon "Asterix and the Vikings" should be english friendly.
Old 09-13-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
There's a list of upcoming Dutch Filmworks titles on AVS.

There are several titles I don't recognize as being available on either format domestically. I'm not sure if the longer list at the end of the post is also from Dutch Filmworks or from another studio in the region, but they include Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Face/Off, and Cinderella Man.
Old 09-21-07, 11:55 AM

Amazon.de announce "La vie en rose" in Blu-Ray, is it the Edith Piaf biopic from Olivier Dahan ?

http://www.amazon.de/La-Vie-En-Rose-.../dp/B000VNJEH6
Old 09-21-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Tutut
Amazon.de announce "La vie en rose" in Blu-Ray, is it the Edith Piaf biopic from Olivier Dahan ?

http://www.amazon.de/La-Vie-En-Rose-.../dp/B000VNJEH6
I have not seen this info anywhere else yet. Later tonight I will go through the German forums and spend some time reading. If true I will certainly get one but it might well be a typo as the German Amazon, until a few days ago, still had Transformers coming on BR.

(First thing first...I am keeping an eye to see how much in retail will this new Lowe player be...I saw a few quotes around 700 Euro...so hopefully there will be a better price online).

Thanks to pointing this title out.

Pro-B
Old 09-21-07, 04:21 PM

I have not seen this info anywhere else yet. Later tonight I will go through the German forums and spend some time reading. If true I will certainly get one but it might well be a typo as the German Amazon, until a few days ago, still had Transformers coming on BR.
Thanks.
(First thing first...I am keeping an eye to see how much in retail will this new Lowe player be...I saw a few quotes around 700 Euro...so hopefully there will be a better price online).
Loewe is not a low cost CE brand, they have quality and stylish products, if your player is this one :

or that one :

it's not 700€, people said on a british forum 700£, but many german site announced between 1300 and 1400€.

Last edited by Tutut; 09-21-07 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Tutut
Thanks.
but many german site announced between 1300 and 1400€.
Well, this is the one that sites the above price...but that was a guess (!).
http://www.blu-rayler.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=162

I want to see retailers listing it before I make up my mind.

I would really like to pick up a second European player come Christmas time and will likely look for something around 500-600 Euro (my family will be off to Holland in December).

This silver set above however looks fantastic! I would also like to read some reviews on that Phillips they showed at CEDIA.

Regardless, I shall own a second B-zone player very soon.

Pro-B
Old 09-22-07, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mondo HE, an Italian distributor known for its involvement with classic Italian director Sergio Leone (DVD production and restoration) have announced that they are set to release two of his most beloved features on Blu-Ray and HDDVD this December: For a Few Dollars More and My Name is Nobody. Apparently both of those will be transfered from brand new Hi-Def masters.

Bellow is the article in Italian as well as the the link to it (the relevant info is in bold black):
http://www.dvdessential.it/newsview.php?id=880

Per Qualche dollaro in più - Edizione deluxe con libro

Al via il 5 settembre l’intenso progetto editoriale dedicato a Sergio Leone firmato Mondo Home Entertainment. In concomitanza con i prestigiosi riconoscimenti del Festival diVenezia e della Festa del cinema di Roma, alcune straordinarie opere del grande regista italiano saranno infatti al centro di una serie di appuntamenti home video da non perdere. Di particolare rilievo il lancio di “ Per qualche dollaro in più”, “Il mio nome è nessuno” e “C’era una Volta il West”, che sono stati oggetto di un intervento di restauro completo.

Nello specifico, il 5 settembre inaugura la rassegna l’edizione completamente restaurata di ‘Per qualche dollaro in più’ (1965) e “Il Colosso di Rodi” (1964).
“Per qualche dollaro in più” è il fortunatissimo seguito de 'Per un pugno di dollari' che, con le straordinarie interpretazioni di C. Eastwood e G.M Volonté affiancati da L. Van Cliff, M. Krupp e L.Pistilli, confermò il clamoroso successo del western all’italiana. Il completo restauro della pellicola è stato realizzato da Sky Cinema, la Cineteca di Bologna, Immagine Ritrovata e Andrea Leone Film.

Esponente della cosiddetta trilogia del dollaro, il dvd di ‘Per qualche dollaro in più’ è proposto anche in una special edition con una ricca sezione di extra dedicata all’intervento di restauro e corredata dell’estratto relativo al film tratto dal libro “Sergio Leone danzando con la morte” di Christopher Frayling edito da Editrice il Castoro.

Non può mancare nella videoteca degli estimatori il dvd de “Il colosso di Rodi”, film d’esordio del regista con Rory Calhoun; Lea Massari; Georges Marchal; Angel Aranda; Mabel Karr. Il film esprime immediatamente il grande potenziale di Leone che grazie alla lunga esperienza come aiuto in quella che veniva definita la “Hollywood sul Tevere” riesce a realizzare un’opera con un basso budget tanto spettacolare da sembrare un vero e proprio kolossal americano.

In ottobre Mondo H.E presenta “Il mio nome è nessuno” (1972) e il “buono il brutto e cattivo” (1966). Ultimo tassello de la trilogia del dollaro, il “buono, il brutto e cattivo” con C. Eastwood, E. Wallach e L. Van Cleef, è considerato la quintessenza dello spaghetti western.
Edizione completamente restaurata per il celebre “Il mio nome è nessuno”, prodotto da Leone (che ha diretto anche alcune scene) con T. Hill e H. Fonda e diretto da T. Valerii. L'opera possiede quell'allegria e quella ironia che sfocia in una più aperta comicità che è tipica del filone del western comico appena nato, pur non mancando alcuni tratti tipicamente “leoniani”: atmosfera crepuscolare; intensi primi piani degli sguardi e, inconfondibile, la bellissima musica di Ennio Morricone. Il dvd de “Il mio nome è nessuno” sarà proposto anche in una special edition con una ricca sezione di extra dedicata all’intervento di restauro e corredata dell’estratto relativo a “Il mio nome è nessuno” tratto dal libro “Sergio Leone danzando con la morte” di Christopher Frayling edito da Editrice il Castoro.

A novembre sarà la volta del cofanetto “Sergio Leone” che propone ad un prezzo particolarmente interessante i 6 film al centro del progetto editoriale (Per Qualche Dollaro in Più, Il Colosso di Rodi, Il Mio Nome è Nessuno, Il Buono il Brutto e il Cattivo, C’era una Volta il West e Giù la Testa ) e delle uscite di 2 dei capolavori che formano la “trilogia del tempo”: “C’era una volta il west” (1968) e “Giù la testa”(1971).

“C’era una volta il west” il quarto, celebre, western realizzato dal regista testimonia il riconoscimento internazionale raggiunto da Leone: film epico, prodotto da Paramount, viene girato con mezzi superiori a tutte le opere precedenti; anche il cast vede attori americani di culto come H. Fonda e J. Robards e l’allora poco conosciuto C. Bronson, diventato una star dopo questa interpretazione. Considerato una delle opere più significative, anche questo titolo è stato oggetto di un importante e completa opera di restauro; il dvd in uscita è proposto sia in una edizione normale, sia speciale con una ricca sezione di extra dedicata all’intervento di restauro e corredata dell’estratto relativo alla pellicola tratto dal libro “Sergio Leone danzando con la morte” di Christopher Frayling edito da Editrice il Castoro.

“Giù la testa”, con Coburn e R. Steiger, è forse il western in cui, attraverso la rivoluzione messicana, più emergono le riflessioni sull'umanità e la politica del regista. DVD impedibile anche per le immancabili musiche di Morricone che qui con “Sean Sean” assurgono a colonna sonora di un’epoca.

A dicembre, infine, Mondo HE proporrà in anteprima mondiale “Per qualche dollaro in più” e “Il mio nome è nessuno” in formato HD-DVD e Blu Ray, grazie alla creazione di master ad alta definizione. Un primato per omaggiare anche con l’ultima frontiera della tecnologia i capolavori senza tempo di Sergio Leone.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 09-22-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great News!! I knew holding off on that Sergio Leone set would be worth it.
Old 09-22-07, 06:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
For A Few Dollars More is one of the few titles I would spend a lot of money to import. I wish Fox and MGM would get off their asses and give us that Sergio Leone set that's come out on DVD. I already spent a bunch of money importing the first two films remastered on regular DVD.
Old 09-22-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Mondo HE, an Italian distributor known for its involvement with classic Italian director Sergio Leone (DVD production and restoration) have announced that they are set to release two of his most beloved features on Blu-Ray and HDDVD this December: For a Few Dollars More and My Name is Nobody.
Fantastic news. I've seen A Fistful of Dollars and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on HDNet Movies, but this'll be my first time seeing For a Few Dollars More in high-def (assuming the language issue works out).
Old 09-24-07, 07:28 AM

La vie en rose aka La môme, Edith Piaf biopic from Olivier Dahan with Marion Cotillard, announced for November 22 in France,
November 21 in the UK and November 26 in Germany, on BD.
THe UK edition, at least, will be english friendly.

Collector edition
2 BD+1 CD+1 book+1 calendar for 49.99€ in France.

2 Discs edition
1BD+1DVD (extras) for 29.99€ in France.

Last edited by Tutut; 09-24-07 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-25-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

UPDATED: September 25th

1. La Vie en Rose
(November 26, UK; November 22, France)

2. In My Father's Den (Aka Als das Meer verschwand)
(October 26th, Germany)

3.Sergio Leone's For a Few Dollars More and My Name is Nobody.
(Italy, December, TBA)

Pro-B
Old 09-25-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

cover work for the 400 Blows

Pro-B

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.