Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind on Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind on Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't know how on earth they could give this 4 stars and Halloween 1 star. I think Bracke completely underestimates just how gritty and worn down this film looks. It's soft as hell, especially around the edges of the frames (presumably due to the anamorphic lenses used to shoot the film), and there's no detail in shadow. Hell, there's not a lot of detail, period. Due to the optical effects used for the spaceships, they mostly look like a blob of color, with plenty of bleeding. This may be the best the film has ever looked, but that's not saying much at all. The sound mix is very limited by the original recordings, with the rears getting sporadic use. When they are used, it sounds forced and artificial.

Edit: Contrary to the opinion of the HDD review, there is nothing demo-worthy about this disc, but the scene with the mothership looks and sounds pretty good. Not demo good by any means, but cool nonetheless. I think Bracke's perception of the disc is colored by his clear love of the film, which I think is a highly overrated piece of work that shows Spielberg still learning what works and what doesn't in filmmaking and storytelling.

I'm not blaming Sony here, it's just that this movie really was never going to get much benefit from HD, not without completely changing the way it looks. The packaging is quite lavish, but I wouldn't pay $50 for this.

Kinda like the differences between reviewers takes on Spider-Man's PQ. As I recall, dvdfile rated PQ on "The Last Starfighter" really high, too, while you and Bracke both gave it just 2 stars.

I suggest that the only way to properly settle this is through a cage match of some sort . . .
Old 11-08-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by applesandrice
Kinda like the differences between reviewers takes on Spider-Man's PQ. As I recall, dvdfile rated PQ on "The Last Starfighter" really high, too, while you and Bracke both gave it just 2 stars.

I suggest that the only way to properly settle this is through a cage match of some sort . . .
Reviewer Off!!!
Old 11-08-07, 01:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Only if it's moderated by David Bowie.
Old 11-09-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this just in...

I was just at Circuit City here in Charleston, WV and they had about 12 copies of this title on the shelf. I tried to purchase it and when I took it up to the counter they told me they couldnt sell it.

This is now the third time they've done this...

BTW.... The box is really nice looking, its a holographic slipcase (insert like vhs cassette tape) it looks like a companion book comes with it also.

As for CC, I need to print out some barcodes on stickers for like titles that are already avaliable on a format or something.... or i could just wait.
Old 11-09-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think its better to just get this at DD or DVDP.
Old 11-10-07, 04:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The packaging is gorgeous, to echo what TS posted.