Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General HD DVD news and discussion PART 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General HD DVD news and discussion PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The view is that more recent releases sell better than catalog.
Personally I don't think that would be the case at all with the Sopranos, but that's just me.
Old 10-31-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
It will be interesting to see what the comparison #'s are for the Kubrick releases, as most would assume those films would skew towards the HD crowd and not the "PS3" crowd. Yet, I saw two different people of a younger age enthusiastically picking up a couple Kubrick's, especially FMJ.
Considering Warner's distribution problems with these titles, that won't be a particularly accurate comparison, no matter how the results turn out. A significant number of people who want to buy these discs haven't been able to find them at retail, either online or brick & mortar.
Old 10-31-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Considering Warner's distribution problems with these titles, that won't be a particularly accurate comparison, no matter how the results turn out. A significant number of people who want to buy these discs haven't been able to find them at retail, either online or brick & mortar.
That is true - I should have mentioned that.

Best Buy continues to be the only B&M store I see all 5 releases at on both formats.
Old 11-01-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm torn right now. Get the HD-A2 for less than a $100 bucks or wait for the A3 which'll be $170 bucks. For anyone who has moved up from the A2 to the A3, has there been a sizable difference between the quality of the units?
Old 11-01-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I'm torn right now. Get the HD-A2 for less than a $100 bucks or wait for the A3 which'll be $170 bucks. For anyone who has moved up from the A2 to the A3, has there been a sizable difference between the quality of the units?

I'd take the A2 over the A3, unless you are using HDMI audio. If you are using optical, the A2 downsamples the high def audio to 1.5mbps DTS stream, while the A3 downsamples the high def audio to 640k DD. The A2 may load a bit slower, but if you're using the optical audio I think that's a small trade off.
Old 11-01-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool. Thanks.
Old 11-01-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed
I'd take the A2 over the A3, unless you are using HDMI audio. If you are using optical, the A2 downsamples the high def audio to 1.5mbps DTS stream, while the A3 downsamples the high def audio to 640k DD. The A2 may load a bit slower, but if you're using the optical audio I think that's a small trade off.
Is that much of a noticeable difference? I just got my A3 at CC last week but now with the A2 at $98 I might try to return it and pm the A2 at CC. Or should I just stick with what I've got and be happy? It sounds good to me, but would it sound that much better on the A2?
Old 11-01-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^ no idea. I'm still running my A1 with analog outs. Just regurgitating what I've read.
Old 11-01-07, 04:11 PM

I'm surprised there hasn't been that much discussion about Warner Bros. possibly going Blu-Ray exclusive over here. It has me a bit scared about HD-DVD's future if that does happen (I'm a 360 add-on owner).

Lately it seemed all the good news was going HD-DVD's way with Paramount and the $98 Wal-Mart deal push the HD-DVD format. Even K-Mart has announced they'd only carry HD-DVD.

I don't frequent the AVS boards. Is anyone here as concerned about WB as I am?
Old 11-01-07, 04:13 PM

Nope. The fourth quarter will keep Warner Bros. in line. All is well.
Old 11-01-07, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by TimT
Nope. The fourth quarter will keep Warner Bros. in line. All is well.
So you think the 4th quarter HD-DVD sales will convince WB to stick with HD-DVD? Or just that we're safe until the end of the 4th quarter (when WB may go Blu-Ray in '08)?
Old 11-01-07, 04:23 PM

I believe that sales of high volumes of the players in HD to what will now be a mass (not niche) market will cause software sales of HD-DVDs to dramatically spike and yes, Warners will see that and respond.
Old 11-01-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bill Hunt blows a gasket!! I thought this guy was "pro-consumer" Oh $99 HD player aren't pro consumer? Why not drop another $300 for the PS3? Lame Bill lame. If you really were pro-movie, pro-consumer, you would tell people to go get it while they can so they can go dual format and enjoy movies.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Last edited by chanster; 11-01-07 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
Bill Hunt blows a gasket!! I thought this guy was "pro-consumer" Oh $99 HD player aren't pro consumer? Why not drop another $300 for the PS3? Lame Bill lame. If you really were pro-movie, pro-consumer, you would tell people to go get it while they can so they can go dual format and enjoy movies.
The more I read from these fanatics (and I'm sure there are plenty on the HD-DVD front), the more I don't ever want to go Blu-Ray. I'm one of those that is going for the A2 now and will be getting an HDTV later, but I am willing to plunk down $30 for a title I like (the one's I've seen and have pre-ordered so far, though, are around $20).
Old 11-01-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
We all know how full of shit Bill Hunt is, and how he's a shill for BD.

But this time, he ignores even the simplest economic arguments. Whenever you state your point with "Webster's dictionary defines X as..." you know that you are in for a pathetic argument. It's middle school debate class.

He doesn't even mention that a possible reason is the release of the A3 model, or that you don't make your money on players, but software, or how this in actuality is only a 50% decrease in price (hardly a fire sale) or a marketing move to get people excited about the format.

I knew Bill Hunt was an idiot. But now he's confirmed he's just stupid.
Old 11-01-07, 05:31 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts
Blu-Ray Bill has really lost it. Everyone should be thrilled about a $99 HD player (with 5 free movies). This guy has become a complete laughing stock.
Old 11-01-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
His vague claim that the Walmart sale "might" be illegal in "some" states due to anti-dumping laws is FUD spin at its finest . I guess his research skills are only as deep as Wikipedia allows.
Old 11-01-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
This is the first time I have read his column regarding HD/BR since I have read here how biased he is. What a douchebag.

Seriously though, does anyone still visit thedigitalbits anymore? Are they viewed as a respectable site? I know they were popular back during the dvd explosion but I haven't visited their site in years or really heard them mentioned much in recent years (except for people commenting on his BR bias).
Old 11-01-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts
So Warner's rumored "big announcement about something high-def" never happened?
Old 11-01-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Seriously though, does anyone still visit thedigitalbits anymore?
Apparently chanster still does! Sorry, had to.

Seriously though, Bill did just take a rather large dive off the deep end there. I was wondering how long until the splash reached this forum.

All I can say as a supporter of both formats is his views really don't represent my views at all.

The only reason I'd be unhappy about Toshiba's diving player costs is if it scared away Onkyo from releasing their player, which I am interested in.

I am enjoying both formats quite a bit these days. Haven't had any technical issues on either side since my Matrix combos which I returned.

Now, please Uni, let's get a B1G1 sale!
Old 11-01-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
So Warner's rumored "big announcement about something high-def" never happened?
There never really was a big announcement to begin with. It was Warner stating that they're waiting until next quarter (or thereabouts) to see what the numbers look like after the holidays before deciding which format to back more strongly or possibly exclusively.
Old 11-01-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's something else funny I noticed in his article:

When he mentions Cars, Ratatouille and the Pixar Shorts, they are hyperlinked to their respective Amazon pages. When Transformers is mentioned, it just gets bold text. Hilarious.

C'mon, would it really hurt to have a link for Transformers too?
Old 11-01-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Here's something else funny I noticed in his article:

When he mentions Cars, Ratatouille and the Pixar Shorts, they are hyperlinked to their respective Amazon pages. When Transformers is mentioned, it just gets bold text. Hilarious.

C'mon, would it really hurt to have a link for Transformers too?
Yeah, that means he has a deal with amazon to get commission from sales linked directly from his site, this guy is definitely a BD shill, literally in fact.
Old 11-01-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CloverClover
Yeah, that means he has a deal with amazon to get commission from sales linked directly from his site, this guy is definitely a BD shill, literally in fact.
But wouldn't he also benefit from people clicking through the Transformers link?
Old 11-01-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, but that may piss off his Blu Ray overlords...and he is a contributor to another Blu Ray backed Web site, which I assume he is compensated for..

See here:
http://www.hollywoodinhidef.com/revi...tail.php?id=97

Last edited by chanster; 11-01-07 at 07:06 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.