Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hard Boiled Blu-Ray Coming Packaged with Stanglehold PS3 Game!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Hard Boiled Blu-Ray Coming Packaged with Stanglehold PS3 Game!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 07:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Bcolon
So what is preventing a consumer from buying the package? They won't be able to play the game, but they will still get Hard Boiled on Blu Ray.
Nope. Apparently the movie is a "special feature" on the disc. Meaning, you'll have to select it from the game's menu.

Think about it; if the movie and game are on the same disc (confirmed), how is a standalone Blu Ray player supposed to determine what information it can play? Hybrid SACDs were different, because they had two different types of layers, and you could change a setting in your player's menu to tell it which layer to play. Standalone Blu Ray players aren't going to recognize the PS3 formatted Blu Ray disc at all.
Old 05-21-07, 07:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flashburn
The games are mandatory that they are pressed on Blu-ray discs
is that true? 'cause that kinda sucks for game developers who don't need more than 8gb for their games...
Old 05-21-07, 07:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well it says it is being released on Blu Ray and Blu Ray is HD, sooo....
You can easily put standard def material on a Blu-ray disc.
Old 05-21-07, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by SomethingMore
is that true? 'cause that kinda sucks for game developers who don't need more than 8gb for their games...
Yeah, they get to pad the disc just to fill it up (see 70% of the PS3 library).
Old 05-21-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IGN has confirmed with Midway that the movie will be in hi-def:

The big news out of the event is that due to the extra space that Blu-ray affords, the Collector's Edition of Stranglehold on the PS3 will include Hard Boiled on the disc in full HD. Yes, you read that correctly - John Woo's classic action film starring the one and only Chow Yun Fat will be right there on the disc. We asked a Midway rep about sampling specifics, and while final compression and bit rate stats aren't available on the movie, we do know that it is being re-mastered in high-definition for the transfer. Additionally, it will contain both the original Cantonese language track as well as the English overdubs. If you've seen the movie both ways you know that it's a very different movie when viewed in English, so we're very happy to see both included.
Old 05-21-07, 08:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, Sony mandated Blu-ray discs for all PS3 games. And it's not the developers it sucks for, it's the publishers, since the publishers are the ones paying for the discs to get pressed.
Old 05-21-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by matome
IGN has confirmed with Midway that the movie will be in hi-def:
I'll still believe it when I see it. No direct quotes and the only thing they say is "remastered in HD", which as we know is marketing talk seen on most recent SD-DVD releases.
Old 05-21-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll still believe it when I see it. No direct quotes and the only thing they say is "remastered in HD", which as we know is marketing talk seen on most recent SD-DVD releases.
I think it would be very stupid for them to not release it in HD. It's hard to imagine in not being in HD considering it's going to be on a BD.
Old 05-21-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is not what I read...

"The big news out of the event is that due to the extra space that Blu-ray affords, the Collector's Edition of Stranglehold on the PS3 will include Hard Boiled on the disc in full HD."

Not sure how much more they could have spelled it out for you...
Old 05-21-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What are you talking about? Blu-ray is a disc format, nothing more. By your logic, there would be no non-HD content on Blu-ray, which isn't true. There are plenty of extra's that aren't in HD but they are on Blu-ray discs. The games are mandatory that they are pressed on Blu-ray discs, so of course if they were going to put the movie on the disc, it would HAVE to be on a BD.

I guess you are right. I suppose we should be wondering about any release we hear about on BD that does not specifically say mastered in 1080P.

Cars has been announced for BD this fall. I really really really hope they release it on Blu Ray in HD.

Also Bladerunner is being released on HD DVD and Blu Ray this fall. No details yet. Has anyone heard any rumors as to if the will be releasing them in HD on these formats? I am going to be really pissed if they release it in HD on HD DVD, but in standard def on Blu Ray...
Old 05-21-07, 10:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Cars has been announced for BD this fall.
Wasn't it announced for June? And not a single retailer has ANY information on it (not even a barcode)? Sounds like BS (The B stands for Blu!)
Old 05-21-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I guess you are right. I suppose we should be wondering about any release we hear about on BD that does not specifically say mastered in 1080P.
...but Cars and Blade Runner also aren't bonus features on a video game.

I'd expect Hard Boiled to be in HD, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's not either.
Old 07-02-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hidfedigest confirms that the included Hard-Boiled is indeed a 1080p Blu-Ray, and it looks to be integrated into the game disc itself and not a standalone disc, from what I gather from the article.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ie_Hybrid_/641
Old 07-02-07, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by matome
hidfedigest confirms that the included Hard-Boiled is indeed a 1080p Blu-Ray, and it looks to be integrated into the game disc itself and not a standalone disc, from what I gather from the article.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ie_Hybrid_/641
I wont even try to hold out hope that this will be uncompressed or even a DTS track. There just won't be enough space.
Old 07-02-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yes, Sony mandated Blu-ray discs for all PS3 games. And it's not the developers it sucks for, it's the publishers, since the publishers are the ones paying for the discs to get pressed.
I understand what you're saying but they (the publishers) are making 10 dollars more a copy on the next-gen systems. Or at least part of that ten dollar difference in price.
Old 07-02-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Think about it; if the movie and game are on the same disc (confirmed), how is a standalone Blu Ray player supposed to determine what information it can play?
This happens all the time with DVDs that have DVD-ROM material or Xbox demos on them. The DVD players look for specific folders and files that tell it what to play, while Computers and the Xbox look for different files and folders to tell them what to play. I don't see why a BD can't have similar dual functionality.