Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

KCAL 9 & CBS2 in Los Angeles went HD yesterday!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-24-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

CBS 2, KCAL 9 Now Broadcasting In High Definition

Click this LINKY! for the story page and a video tour of their new state-of-the art HD broadcast facility in Studio City!

The Building Of A TV Station

CBS 2 HD and sister station KCAL 9 HD will begin producing 11 hours of live, local newscasts in high definition each weekday beginning Monday, April 23, following the stations’ move into their new state-of-the art HD broadcast facility in Studio City, California.

KCBS HD (Channel 402) is available at no extra cost to all Time Warner Cable digital customers who have an HD receiver, and joins sister station KCAL (Channel 409) on its local HD lineup.

KCAL 9 began its high definition broadcasts of the Los Angeles Lakers on Feb. 2, through Time Warner Cable or by tuning into the off air signal.

To watch CBS 2 News or KCAL 9 News in high definition, you have three choices:

1. Over The Air With A Standard Antenna

• KCBS-DT, CBS 2's high-definition channel, is available free of charge by simply connecting an HD television set to a properly sized antenna. The key word here is "properly sized." CBS 2 highly discourages the use of attic antennas and portable indoor antennas, including old-fashioned "rabbit ears." If you have been using a roof-mounted antenna for standard definition television, you are all ready to get HD. When connected properly, your channel display will indicate that you are watching channel 2.1.

• Some early HDTVs were sold as "HD-ready." To receive CBS 2's HD signal on one of these sets you will have to purchase an HDTV set-top box, which will then be connected to your television. These are available at any local retailer where HD sets are sold. With a set-top box and an HD ready television set, you'll be ready to receive your news in high definition.

2. Cable

• The Los Angeles market is served by multiple cable systems: Time Warner Cable, Comcast, Charter Cable and Cox Cable. Each vendor has CBS 2 and KCAL 9 available in HD as part of a package. Please contact your local cable provider for information about HD delivery. Please note that in some cases it may require a cable box upgrade.

3. Home Satellite Dish

• Both DirecTV and Dish Network have CBS 2 and KCAL 9 available in HD. This service is also part of a package and may require additional equipment.

Still Need Help?

If you need additional help setting up your HD reception, please send a note to us through our "Contact Us" page. Be sure to select "Technical" in the category pull-down menu. A CBS 2 engineer will contact you as soon as possible.

TV Schedule:

Check which programs are available in HD on CBS 2 / KCAL 9

HEY! That's OUTTA SIGHT!!!

I was flippin' through the channels yesterday afternoon and it BLEW MY MIND!!!

(It looks really nice too.)

-THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-24-07 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 01:05 PM
Suspended

Old 04-24-07, 01:42 PM

WAIT, Ch. 9 is also in HD on Directv??!!!!!!!!

I would love seeing my Dodgers in HD
Old 04-24-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the 3 major (ABC, NBC, and CBS) local news channels are now all in HD here in NYC... No Fox yet, but I wouldnt watch their news anyways (I cant stand Applegate or that annoying Scotto bitch). They even have more and more stories and live feeds in HD as well (mostly see this on NBC, but thats just what I usually watch).
Old 04-24-07, 02:55 PM

as far as I know, here in DC only CBS has it's local news in HiDef... no ABC or NBC (lame).
Old 04-24-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In Boston we're still at a grand total of 0 local news broadcasts, but we do get a local "newsmagazine" called Chronicle in HD and it's very good. Fortunately, almost all of our local major sports broadcasts are in HD (only home games for the Celtics this year, but we only watched 'em to lose anyway).
Old 04-25-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ABC here in Orlando has the lone HD news broadcast.
Old 04-25-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, now I get to see Mia Lee and Jackie Johnson in HD.
Old 04-25-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Talk about HIGH DEFINITION!

I could see Mia's bra right through the top she was wearing yesterday.
Old 04-25-07, 03:55 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Yes, now I get to see Mia Lee and Jackie Johnson in HD.
I'm two degrees of Mia. I know her dad very well.
Old 04-25-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

...er...um...

Mia is a very talented individual...

( )

...and I like the way David taps his pencil to the music at the end of the broadcast.

-theek

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-25-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
(only home games for the Celtics this year, but we only watched 'em to lose anyway).
I'm really hoping the Celts improve next year, not only as a fan of the team, but to force Comcast to actually provide it's own channel for FSN HD, instead of this lame home games only on 881, except when we forget or don't feel like it.

It's really been a crapshoot for the past couple of years whether you'll get to watch the Celts in HD or not.

But, beyond that, I agree -- it's pretty sad when NONE of the local stations in a city like Boston broadcast local news in HD. I have a feeling that ABC will be first (given the Chronicle experiment)... and once one of them makes the leap, I suspect the other 3 networks will fall in line pretty darn quick.
Old 04-25-07, 04:49 PM

We only have one HD local news broadcast here in Salt Lake City. So I'm always watching that, no matter how mundane the story. "Local cat saves toddler? This will be much more interesting in HD!!!"
Old 04-26-07, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I think the 3 major (ABC, NBC, and CBS) local news channels are now all in HD here in NYC... No Fox yet, but I wouldnt watch their news anyways (I cant stand Applegate or that annoying Scotto bitch). They even have more and more stories and live feeds in HD as well (mostly see this on NBC, but thats just what I usually watch).
its not only about the news on fox. your missing out on many great shows in hd on fox such as 24 cant wait for it to come out on blu ray
Old 05-03-07, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Edit King
Talk about HIGH DEFINITION!

I could see Mia's bra right through the top she was wearing yesterday.
Tell me about it. Her bra was very clear and crisp

Yesterday she had on a short skirt and really has a nice pair of legs
Old 05-03-07, 12:16 AM
Banned

Jackie Johnson
Old 05-07-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man Mia looks better on HD than SD. At first, I didn't like it when she got facial surgery, her lips were bloated. But now it's not so bloated and her implants are NIIICEE!
Old 05-07-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
We only have one HD local news broadcast here in Salt Lake City. So I'm always watching that, no matter how mundane the story. "Local cat saves toddler? This will be much more interesting in HD!!!"
Grouchy: FINALLY! ***** in High Definition!

WHAT THE...??? Did 'I' say that?

(HD's so good it makes me feel NAUGHTY! )
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Jackie Johnson
Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Man Mia looks better on HD than SD. At first, I didn't like it when she got facial surgery, her lips were bloated. But now it's not so bloated and her implants are NIIICEE!
Yeah, I've noticed that too.

The swelling's gone WAY down!
Originally Posted by Aztek
Tell me about it. Her bra was very clear and crisp

Yesterday she had on a short skirt and really has a nice pair of legs
DAMN!

It's about TIME someone else said they saw what 'I' saw!

Thanks, Aztek!

(...and here I thought I was just seeing 'THINGS'!!! & )

-TEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 05-07-07 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-07-07, 10:26 PM

It's about TIME someone else said they saw what 'I' saw!

Thanks, Aztek!

(...and here I thought I was just seeing 'THINGS'!!! & )

-TEK!
Yea well I am a guy who studies Ms. Lee very hard and thorowly. Especially in her Chest are and those soft lookin, toned legs that Kcal is now hiding under the desk again.

I loved when they had her out in the open. i think it was my suggestion to them that they do something like that. I wonder if there is anything that we could do to convince them to put her back.
Old 05-10-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3. Home Satellite Dish

• Both DirecTV and Dish Network have CBS 2 and KCAL 9 available in HD. This service is also part of a package and may require additional equipment.
I didn't see this part in your link. Did they edit the page after you posted this? I was hoping to have KCAL9 available in HD on DirecTV, mainly for the sports.