Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

xbox360 elite = hdmi 0.9

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

xbox360 elite = hdmi 0.9

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xbox360 elite = hdmi 0.9

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10176889

Xbox 360 Elite supports HDMI 1.2 profile. For audio, you can select DD, DTS (at 1.5 Mbps), and WMA-Pro (Microsoft high fidelity multi-channel codec supported in some AVRs such as Pioneer). Since it is not based on 1.3, it will not support output of DD+ or TrueHD (even if it did, mixing would have been turned off).

PCM output is available but only for 2-channels (not 5.1). Please, please, don’t say you don’t like this. There is nothing you are going to say which we don’t know . Our goal was to provide a digital connection for video which people wanted for some of their TVs. And of course, single cable A/V connection. So if having analog video bothered you before, you can now use digital. If you lacked component/VGA on your TV, you are in business with Xbox 360 Elite.

Keep in mind that the spring software update for HD DVD substantially improves audio fidelity. Per above, you now have a choice of no less than three output formats.

If you are keen on having 5.1 PCM output, I recommend purchasing the Toshiba A2 player which after the price drop, will be much cheaper than Elite.
now, not only are there multiple version of hdmi, consumers have to check to see which parts of a single version manufacturers choose to support.

blu-ray, hd-dvd, total hd, hd-dvd combo
dd plus, true hd, dts-hd, dts-hd master audio, pcm
bd-java, bd-video 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
hdmi 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 ......... and now 1.2 xbox360
Old 03-31-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That's been true for a while. Look at how some receivers have HDMI inputs but don't touch the audio at all. Others accept the audio, but up to 5.1, not 7.1. They also vary as to what kind of processing they will do with the audio once they get it (some don't allow level adjustments or PLIIX processing). Some won't pass 1080p. The PS3 doesn't support DSD output for SACDs allowed in 1.2, even though it's a 1.3 device.

It's a mess, and people have to be very careful. I can see complaints in the future about people's new 1.3 receivers lacking support for certain codecs, and other features for 1.3 like audio sync (I still don't understand how that will work).
Old 03-31-07, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
That's been true for a while. Look at how some receivers have HDMI inputs but don't touch the audio at all. Others accept the audio, but up to 5.1, not 7.1. They also vary as to what kind of processing they will do with the audio once they get it (some don't allow level adjustments or PLIIX processing). Some won't pass 1080p. The PS3 doesn't support DSD output for SACDs allowed in 1.2, even though it's a 1.3 device.

It's a mess, and people have to be very careful. I can see complaints in the future about people's new 1.3 receivers lacking support for certain codecs, and other features for 1.3 like audio sync (I still don't understand how that will work).
is there any other hd-dvd or blu-ray player that has hdmi but only supports 2 channel pcm?
Old 03-31-07, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So I take it the 360 HD drive cannot decode TrueHD internally?
Old 03-31-07, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
So I take it the 360 HD drive cannot decode TrueHD internally?
The drive doesn't decode anything. The 360 does. And yes, it can decode TrueHD. Why did you think it couldn't?
Old 03-31-07, 10:59 PM
Banned by request

Because if the system can decode TrueHD, it could pass it through HDMI 1.1 if it wanted. This is how both the Toshiba players do it. Internal decoding that passes it through as PCM, I believe. If the 360 actually can decode TrueHD, then Microsoft must have specifically disallowed the system to pass TrueHD (or, apparently, DD+).
Old 03-31-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It has nothing to do with decoding TrueHD, which it does. It has to do with passing PCM in 5.1 or 7.1, which it does not do. It will decode TrueHD into PCM, then mix it to PCM 2.1 (like optical).
Old 03-31-07, 11:53 PM
Banned by request

Again, it has to be something Microsoft specifically set it to do, because HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 can pass PCM 5.1.
Old 03-31-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, the Elite is pretty pathetic. Not outputting PCM is probably a non issue for anyone not using it with the HD DVD add on, but it again makes this system look pretty crippled when compared to the PS3.

Last edited by darkside; 04-01-07 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-13-07, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Again, it has to be something Microsoft specifically set it to do, because HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 can pass PCM 5.1.
Um, no. You don't seem to understand how this stuff works.
Old 04-13-07, 02:11 AM
Banned by request

Look, HDMI 1.2 has to be able to pass decoded 5.1 PCM, because that's how the A1 sends its TrueHD signal to receivers that don't have HDMI 1.3. Maybe I am misunderstanding it, but if I am, don't just say "Gee, you're not smart." Tell me how it does work, please. How does the A1 pass Dolby TrueHD over HDMI 1.2?
Old 04-13-07, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The audio data path is not wide enough to accommodate PCM in greater than 2 channels. It has nothing to do with the output data path (HDMI).

Amir explained it very well over on AVS. Essentially, the 360 audio board was never designed to pass that much audio data at once, and a redesign was not in the cards for this unit. They basically just tacked on an HDMI board.
Old 04-13-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Wow, the Elite is pretty pathetic. Not outputting PCM is probably a non issue for anyone not using it with the HD DVD add on, but it again makes this system look pretty crippled when compared to the PS3.
What's even more pathetic is the price for that 120gb Hard Drive.

Although I own the Premium, I really hope MS shoots themselves in the foot with the release of this crap.

The price, specs, etc are simply unacceptable for the price tag.
Old 04-13-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kinda unrelated question...

I noticed that my xbox 360 now outputs DTS. Has this always been the case or was there an update?
Old 04-13-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Kinda unrelated question...

I noticed that my xbox 360 now outputs DTS. Has this always been the case or was there an update?
Do you mean the HD-DVD player? I know you can select DTS, but it will convert it to DD usually. I know, my receiver displays what is being played....just curious.
Old 04-13-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Do you mean the HD-DVD player? I know you can select DTS, but it will convert it to DD usually. I know, my receiver displays what is being played....just curious.
Yes, the HD-DVD player, but maybe the regular drive too. It seems it used to convert to DD in the past, but last night I was watching the new Phantasm disc (with DTS selected from the audio options) and my receiver displayed DTS.
Old 04-13-07, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Yes, the HD-DVD player, but maybe the regular drive too. It seems it used to convert to DD in the past, but last night I was watching the new Phantasm disc (with DTS selected from the audio options) and my receiver displayed DTS.
It always did output DTS. You're confusing HD audio with audio on SD discs.