Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone out there ever feel used by the HD-DVD/Blu-ray market?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-11-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now I'm an owner of both systems, and I'm most pleased (for the most part), and I understand that no one's twistin' my arm, but I'm looking at the prices for these discs and I'm having a poopy party & a temper tantrum!

I mean, here I am, supporting a new format, and money has never been an issue (However, I know when someone's tryin' to screw me), but having to pay nearly $100 for 3 friggin' movies?

WHAT THE H**K GIVES???

...and here we are, the supporters of these new formats, and they're building it on OUR BACKS, outta our BLOOD, SWEAT & OR TEARS, and what the Heck do we get outta the deal?

SQUAT-TIT-DIDDLY!!!

But in a few years, newcomers will just stroll on in, drop baby coin, and reap the rewards our sweet sweat brought forth on this and other continents!

WHO'S WITH ME!!!???

( )

But seriously folks...

Do you see what I mean?

Why don't the companies (Aka: 'The Billionaires') give something really cool, back to us (Aka: 'The Faithful')?

-lil' theek

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-11-07 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The short answer: buy online. You're not going to get many breaks for a marginal format at a brick-and-mortar store (not until one of 'em is in its death throes, at least).
Old 04-11-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$100 for 3? I only spend $18, maybe $25 for a combo shipped 2 day from amazon. I own around 200 discs so far. If I had to spend $34 each I'd only rent. I order a few every week from amazon and they shrinkwrap them to a piece of cardboard so they don't move around inside the box. The only time I've had a problem, it was with the Good Shepherd (not even their fault) and they overnighted me a new one the next day for free, no questions asked and didnt even want the old one back.

And if you don't want to shop online Fry's sells a lot of their HD-DVDs for $19.99

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 04-11-07 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, Krayzie!

I like Fry's...and I do-do that. But sometimes I've just gotta drop the bigger bucks to get what I want, when I want, even when I don't think it's fair, and that's not fair!

Hey Adam!

Thanks for replying!

Look guys...

About ordering on line, well, I want to. I reeeally want to. But you know, ever since I bought a TON of discs online and 87 & 1/4% of them arrived loose in the bloomin' case, and then with the hassle of having to ship 'em back and waiting to ensure that I've been properly credited and all...well, it's been a while, and I'm kinda scared to do that again.

(...Right now, anyway...)

SOMEONE HELP ME REGAIN MY ONLINE ORDERING COURAGE!!!

Where's all the coupons? Where's all the FREE DISCS? Where's all the 'TANK YOUS' (for payin' for my YACHT), from the big boys?

I mean, why in the WORLD can't they make a case that will HOLD the damn disc securely? I recently bought a bunch of those 'M' cases and they grip tight. Just a small piece of foam in the case would settle that forever!

Then ya got those multiple disc collection boxes. Good Night Nurse.

WHY OH WHY must such things be???

-Cowardly in California

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-11-07 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Because I have many correctional issues.
Old 04-11-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So fellas...

Your saying that you've recently ordered online and your discs arrived locked tight in their respective cases?

Like I mentioned above: There was one place that I ordered from that put a small piece of foam rubber in the 'M' case right there up against the disc, and that sucker was secure! I mean, it couldn't move or dislodge without someone throwing it forcefully to the ground with all of their might.

Am I the ONLY person in the WORLD that receives loose discs???

Old 04-11-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've gotten 2 loose discs from Amazon out of all the ones I ordered. The hubs in some of the cases aren't as secure as they should be. And it's worse for combos, since both sides can get damaged.

I buy sometimes in store if I want the title right away. If Best Buy and Circuit City would lower every title by $5, which would put them close to Amazon's price, I'd buy instore every single time.
Old 04-11-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Used? Of course.

We're pretty much the equivalent of lab mice until these formats become mainstream and replace DVD.

Old 04-11-07, 03:30 PM

I have had 0 problems with amazon...every hd and bd movie I have bought has come in perfect condition. I am near 150 right now and not a single bad experience. In the past when I had a problem with dvd's I would either email them or have them call me and the problem has been fixed the next day. Their service will keep me buying for sure!

Matt
Old 04-11-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks Matt, (and everyone else) for encouraging me and giving me hope to trust again!

YIKES CANDYROCKET!!!

That's NOT gonna happen overnight!

I hope my little mouse body can withstand all the years of experiments!

-THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-11-07 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Theek - you always crack me up. You are the one DVDTalker I hope to meet some day.

Back on topic....

First, I rarely, if ever, get loose disks. I can count on my left hand the number of times a disk has been sent to me loose.

Second, I think the BIGGER issue here is not only are we paying more, but they screw us royaly on extras.

Now I know some people say, "Who cares, as long as the audio and video are in their high-def glory, I am happy!"

I call Bravo Sierra.

It's a total slap in the face!

I shelled out an extra $10 for The Departed and I am MISSING the Scorcese documentary!

I am shelling out $70 for Planet Earth and I get stuck without the extra disk that people who are buying the SD-DVD are getting...

...wait....

...for LESS money!!!!

That, to me, is the greatest travesty of them all!

I have to hear the marketing about how the disks can hold SO MUCH more than a standard DVD, yet you leave it out of the packaging! Come on!

The worst part about it?!?!?!

I STILL buy the darn thing!

Stupid me, and more so, stupid us!
Old 04-11-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I have to hear the marketing about how the disks can hold SO MUCH more than a standard DVD, yet you leave it out of the packaging! Come on!
I bet they were referring to SD Quality Content on an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc
Old 04-11-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon sticks a piece of cardboard the size of the box in there then shrinkwraps the cases to them so they dont move at all and the box is so large that there isnt any pressure on the top or bottom. Ill order one HD-DVD and it will come in a box that could hold an xbox 360 sometimes
Old 04-11-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing beats receiving an hd-dvd in the mail (and you can tell it is secure to the spindle.) Then you open it and see it is still scratched on one side, or if it's a combo, on both sides. The QC for this format, so far, sucks big time. That has been my biggest complaint since buying about 100 hd-dvd's. I'm tired of having to exchange them via the online provider and hope they send one that isn't scratched.

Since many dvd's and hd-dvd's are made in Mexico now, the movie studios have lowered their production costs I'm sure, but their qc has plummeted as well. Every time you open a dvd or hd-dvd, it is a crap shoot whether you get a flawless one (gets off his soapbox)...
Old 04-11-07, 06:44 PM

Theek - you always crack me up. You are the one DVDTalker I hope to meet some day.
Don't count on it. He makes a promise to meet you and then he never shows up!

Chris
Old 04-11-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

While I am a dual format supporter now, even before that, I rarely bought movies. Don't get me wrong, I bought a ton of dvds, but with this one, I have felt fine renting them from netflix and only buying the absolute cream.
Old 04-11-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Edit King
...and here we are, the supporters of these new formats, and they're building it on OUR BACKS, outta our BLOOD, SWEAT & OR TEARS, and what the Heck do we get outta the deal?

SQUAT-TIT-DIDDLY!!!

But in a few years, newcomers will just stroll on in, drop baby coin, and reap the rewards our sweet sweat brought forth on this and other continents!
Sorry TEK, but that's usually what happens to us early adopters. Get used to getting taken advantage of.
Old 04-11-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The worst part about it?!?!?!

I STILL buy the darn thing!

Stupid me, and more so, stupid us!
Exactly!!! Seriously, what is wrong with us!?!?!
Old 04-14-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've only had 1 loose dvd or HD DVD arrive in all my dozens of orders from Amazon. It was the SD DVD of Citizen Kane and it arrived with the spindle broken and the disc floating around inside. It sucks because it is a digipak, but at least the disc played normally with no issues.
Old 04-14-07, 07:31 PM

I agree with some of the others here about being "used."

I really don't care about the price as much, but I have definitely decided against buying a blu-ray version of a movie when there was a standard DVD of the same film released with more extras, a gift set or whatever. And now I really don't want to buy the standard DVD with better extras either since I know a blu-ray copy is out there. So, no matter which copy I would buy I'd feel screwed. So I end up not buying either which doesn't make me feel much better.