HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Problem with Toshiba A2?

Old 03-03-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Problem with Toshiba A2?

I just got it 2 days ago & was watching Miami Vice today & paused it to go upstairs for a few minutes. When I came down the screen was black. i hit play & nothing happened. I tried all the other remote buttons (including power) & nothing happened. The eject button on the player worked so I took out the disc. After that the eject button wouldn't even work & the power button on the player did nothing. I unplugged it to turn it off & plugged it back in. The power button on the remote turned it on, but no other buttons worked still & no buttons on the player worked either. When I left it unplugged for longer, it worked normally when I plugged it back in. The picture was still onscreen, so I don't think it was an HDMI isue? I tried to update (Comcast), but got an error. I may need to turn on one of those options (DHP? or DNS?), but for the PS3, Wii & 360, all I do is reset the modem & plug it in directly & I'm good. I haven't seen any problems in the impressions thread, but that's mostly all A1 & XA2 related. Anyone else get this? My receiver is the Denon 887.
Old 03-03-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now I'm watching Hollywoodland & just got an error code about not being able to play it. It's from Netflix, so it's probably a messed up disc. But when it would hit a hiccup, the sound got out of synch & also sounded like robots talking through a fan? Pausing it only made the sound disappear completely. After I rewound, the audio was okay again. It started to freeze more & more until I got the error message. I've had Netflix discs freeze up on me before, but not Hd-Dvds. Is it normal for it to completely screw up the sound when it happens? I didn't think there were any compatability issues with this player & certain titles or anything?
Old 03-03-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the 1.3 firmware upgrade is supposed to fix Hollywoodland's problems.
Old 03-04-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hollwoodland may have just been the Netfilx disc (although maybe the synch problem wasn't), it was scratched up & had a small crack on the edge. Has anyone had any luck connecting with Comcast to update? Do I need to enable one of the options?
Old 03-04-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Miami Vice just did the same thing again when I had to pause it. I had the display up to see when the chapter was ending & while the movie picture was gone, the display was still there- but no info was there anymore. And I tried going to another input & back, but the receiver wouldn't pick it up/ send video to the tv when I came back to it. So maybe it is an HDMI issue. Hopefully I can figure out how to get connected to update.