Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Digital Bits sides with Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Digital Bits sides with Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Who cares about Digital Bits? I want to see what Microsoft blogger Josh says about the format war here! That's what's important.

I think many of us can agree HD DVD is on shaky ground at this point, but that doesn't make Blu-bits relevent for stating the obvious. If you look at the big picture both formats are on very shaky ground.
Old 02-21-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I agree with The Bits, but I personally want Blu-ray to fail, not because I'm a HDdvd supporter or anything, but because Sony's arrogance is such that I want them to eat crow.
Old 02-21-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bits has said what I continuously have posted on this forum and got shot down because of. Consumers do not want 2 formats. Consumers will not buy into a format war to vote on which side they want. Dual players and dual discs only add to the confusion and expense. One format wins and it will accellerate software and hardware sales.
Thank you and good-night.
Old 02-21-07, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
Bits has said what I continuously have posted on this forum and got shot down because of. Consumers do not want 2 formats. Consumers will not buy into a format war to vote on which side they want. Dual players and dual discs only add to the confusion and expense. One format wins and it will accellerate software and hardware sales.
Thank you and good-night.
Who here shot you down!?!
I don't think ANYONE on this board thinks that consumers want 2 formats.

I have consistantly said that I want 1.
Old 02-21-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Here's what SHOULD happen (but never will, and most of you know why):

All the studios argree to release movies on both formats.

Even playing field. Best technology wins.

But that would be too simple (and Sony knows on an even field, they might lose).

Oh, and saying Bill Hunt is for Blu-ray is like saying there's water in the friggin' ocean.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 02-21-07 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Digital Bits sides with Blu-ray.

In other breaking news, George W Bush sides with the Christian Right, Britney Spears sides with white trash, and Anna Nicole Smith had a fondness for pills and alcohol.

Last edited by Josh Z; 02-21-07 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Pfft. Bits has never been relevant. It has always been his opinion and half the time it is strange and silly. He doesn't do enough research to have top-notch opinions. Almost everything I have ever read there is based on marketing material rather than finding out real details. So agreeing with his opinion is the same as agreeing with mine, or yours. Meaningless.

It's just a blog, IMO. And always has been. It's fine for a blog and we can agree or not, but some people like to make him into some sort of industry mogul or insider, breaking big factual news. Hardly.
Spiky said it all and more for me. Exactly what I would have written, precisely my opinion.
Old 02-21-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Here's what SHOULD happen (but never will, and most of you know why):

All the studios argree to release movies on both formats.

Even playing field. Best technology wins.

But that would be too simple (and Sony knows on an even field, they might lose).

Oh, and saying Bill Hunt is for Blu-ray is like saying there's water in the friggin' ocean.
Everyone doesn't win until there is a unified format. Frankly, I don't care which one at this point.
Old 02-21-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Identify
By the way, for you HD-DVD fans out there who are running around online today claiming that I'm somehow getting paid to endorse Blu-ray (rather than coming to the rather obvious logical conclusion all on my own), I'll bet you this: If, in the next few months, the HD-DVD camp suddenly gets all those Blu-ray exclusive studios to start releasing titles on their format, and if all those electronics manufacturers who have released Blu-ray players start releasing HD-DVD or combo players too, I'll will happily and publicly revise my opinion. I'll even exclude Sony on both counts. But I'm betting it isn't going to happen.
Interesting that he doesn't deny getting paid to endorse BD.
Old 02-21-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So some of you are saying that because the irrelevant Bill Hunt sided with Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray is becoming the winner of the HiDef DVD war?

Which is it? Is he irrelevant or an industry insider?

As an exclusive HD-DVD owner I have to say...looks like I bought the wrong format. I thought Blu-Ray looked better on paper for all the same reasons Bill Hunt mentioned.

What sold me on HD-DVD was the hardware price. Pure and simple. I got my HD-A1 for $380 when the cheapest Blu-Ray player was $1000. C'mon! A THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Who in their right mind would think that BR would not only pull even but win?

There is one thing that made BR win. PS3.

I don't get it, I don't understand it, but sad-sack Sony pulled another rug out from under us.

I'll stick with my HD-DVD player and only purchase Universal HD-DVD exclusive content (if there is any I even want). But before too long, I'm guessing a Blu-Ray player will grace my Bell'o stand.
Old 02-21-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't know if he's an "insider" or irrelevant or just a blogger....but in this case, I find his restatement of the current situation lends itself to his conclusion, that if there's a winner, it's BD.
Anyone have sales figs for the actual BD players, vs. PS3? I'd bet BD players are still selling less than HD, though the PS3 definitely makes up for that.
Old 02-21-07, 06:51 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by slop101
I agree with The Bits, but I personally want Blu-ray to fail, not because I'm a HDdvd supporter or anything, but because Sony's arrogance is such that I want them to eat crow.
Agreed. Except I side with HDDVD because I want the machine called Sony to loose. They don't seem to play fair and want exclusive bragging rights to everything electronic (and then some). Viva la HD-DVD!
Old 02-21-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AOD
Agreed. Except I side with HDDVD because I want the machine called Sony to loose. They don't seem to play fair and want exclusive bragging rights to everything electronic (and then some). Viva la HD-DVD!
I rather have Microsoft lose than Sony. Microsoft sucks and is evil in so many more ways.
Old 02-21-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Robert Harris is one of the foremost (and possibly the foremost) experts in the field of film restoration, and has worked on some of the most important movies in film history. He has a collumn on TheDigitalBits, which isn't the sort of thing ordinary bloggers have. The attempt to play Bill Hunt off as some internet blogger like any other is silly.
Old 02-21-07, 09:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If Robert Harris said HD DVD was dying, then I'd pay more credence to it.
Old 02-22-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I own a Sony LCD HDTV and I am considering buying a PS3 so I am not biased for or against Sony; however, I disagree with Bill Hunt. The war needs to end, but before people demand Universal starts releasing Blu-ray discs, they had better make sure that Blu-ray is really the best next generation format. Blu-ray has not proven to be the best format yet, only that they have more studio support.

In regards to performance, Blu-ray may be equal with picture and sound quality, but they are clearly not equal to HD DVD in interactive and bonus features. Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and other Warner Bros. titles would all already be released on Blu-ray if their interactive portions were ready. Also, one of Blu-ray's main selling points is more disc space, but why are some Blu-ray discs dropping standard DVD bonus features, while this rarely happens on HD DVD?

In regards to value, I have purchased a second generation HD DVD player and over twenty HD DVDs for less than the price of a first generation stand-alone Blu-ray player. Blu-ray sales are primarily based on a gaming machine that does not upconvert standard DVDs and does not even include a real remote control.

Also, Bill never mentions that Blu-ray's over-publicized 2 to 1 selling margin for 2007 is primarily based on lack of content from the HD DVD studios. Instead of asking people to contact Universal and ask them to release Blu-ray discs, I recommend that people contact Univseral, Warner Bros., Paramount, and the Weinstein Co. and ask them to release more HD DVDs. Also, I encourage you to contact Fox, Disney, and Lions Gate and ask those studios to go format neutral.
Old 02-22-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I own a Sony LCD HDTV and I am considering buying a PS3 so I am not biased for or against Sony; however, I disagree with Bill Hunt. The war needs to end, but before people demand Universal starts releasing Blu-ray discs, they had better make sure that Blu-ray is really the best next generation format. Blu-ray has not proven to be the best format yet, only that they have more studio support.

In regards to performance, Blu-ray may be equal with picture and sound quality, but they are clearly not equal to HD DVD in interactive and bonus features. Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and other Warner Bros. titles would all already be released on Blu-ray if their interactive portions were ready. Also, one of Blu-ray's main selling points is more disc space, but why are some Blu-ray discs dropping standard DVD bonus features, while this rarely happens on HD DVD?

In regards to value, I have purchased a second generation HD DVD player and over twenty HD DVDs for less than the price of a first generation stand-alone Blu-ray player. Blu-ray sales are primarily based on a gaming machine that does not upconvert standard DVDs and does not even include a real remote control.

Also, Bill never mentions that Blu-ray's over-publicized 2 to 1 selling margin for 2007 is primarily based on lack of content from the HD DVD studios. Instead of asking people to contact Universal and ask them to release Blu-ray discs, I recommend that people contact Univseral, Warner Bros., Paramount, and the Weinstein Co. and ask them to release more HD DVDs. Also, I encourage you to contact Fox, Disney, and Lions Gate and ask those studios to go format neutral.

PREACH IT, BROTHER!!!
Old 02-22-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Robert Harris is one of the foremost (and possibly the foremost) experts in the field of film restoration, and has worked on some of the most important movies in film history. He has a collumn on TheDigitalBits, which isn't the sort of thing ordinary bloggers have. The attempt to play Bill Hunt off as some internet blogger like any other is silly.
Your logic here is mystifying to say the least. Robert Harris has a column on Digital Bits because both he and Bill Hunt post extensively on the Home Theater Forum and are chummy. When Harris announced his intention to start a column, Hunt was there to offer to host it for him. There's nothing more to it than that. Harris' column neither validates nor invalidates Hunt's own speculative postings on any subject.
Old 02-22-07, 10:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Is this the same Digital Bits that declared Wallace Shawn dead?
Old 02-23-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Your logic here is mystifying to say the least. Robert Harris has a column on Digital Bits because both he and Bill Hunt post extensively on the Home Theater Forum and are chummy. When Harris announced his intention to start a column, Hunt was there to offer to host it for him. There's nothing more to it than that. Harris' column neither validates nor invalidates Hunt's own speculative postings on any subject.
Nonsense. Mr Harris could have chosen any number of forums for his column, but went with TheDigitalBits, precisely because of their standing. Even your admission that Bill and Robert are "chummy" is a sign of his connections to the industry. Frankly none of the armchair quarterbacks in this thread have anything approaching Bill's level of credibility. Though many of the HD DVD fans seem to not like that fact. The ones who haven't suddenly become philosophical about this format war, that is...
Old 02-23-07, 10:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Frankly none of the armchair quarterbacks in this thread have anything approaching Bill's level of credibility.
Neither, for that matter do you.
Old 02-23-07, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
*applause*
Old 02-23-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That guys opinion (be it that it's ONLY an opinion), certainly has a lot of legitimate points that is pretty hard to ignore. For the record, I've been rooting for the HD-DVD camp. Thankfully, I haven't spent butt-loads of money on HD-DVD. I don't have a huge collection of them, and my player is only the 360 add-on. Unlike many of the people who have sided with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, I like to keep an open mind. It seems there's a lot of legitimate arguments here that a guy like me who really seriously wanted HD-DVD to be the best seller, can see that things are pretty open to either format right now... if not better for Blu-Ray. Being that I haven't spent an insane amount of money here for something that could be a failing format in the future, I'll just wait. I'll get me an upconverting DVD player in the future and leave it at that until something happens that says 'here it is guys, the next format'. I'm still not fully convinced one format or the other will prevail over the other... not for a significant amount of years anyways.
Old 02-23-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Of course it doesn't. I thought that was implied.
Old 02-23-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Also, one of Blu-ray's main selling points is more disc space, but why are some Blu-ray discs dropping standard DVD bonus features, while this rarely happens on HD DVD?
Blame that on the studio for using the crappier of the two compression methods and/or releasing their movies on single layer discs. It has nothing to do with Blu-Ray as a standard.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.