HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What is a DVD/HD DVD combo disc?

Old 01-30-07, 01:15 PM

What is a DVD/HD DVD combo disc?

What is a HD-DVD/DVD Combo?. Will it have two disks,o ne HD-dvd and the other Sd-dvd. What's the purpose of s combo if there is no two disks. I may be wrong, but just wanted to know, what people are buying a combo or just he HD-dvd.
Old 01-30-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The combo is HD-DVD on one side, DVD on the other. It is a dual sided disc. The reason people are buying the combo is because that is the only format it is being released on.
Old 01-30-07, 01:20 PM
Banned

It's one disc with HD DVD on one side and SD DVD on the other. It's rubbish.

MOD NOTE: Please don't crap on this thread. The OP asked a question, and posts like this only disrupts the flow. Thanks for your cooperation. -namja

Last edited by namja; 01-30-07 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-30-07, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
It's one disc with HD DVD on one side and SD DVD on the other. It's rubbish.
It may not be to your liking, but it is certainly not "rubbish."
Old 01-30-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I happily pay the extra couple dollars for the combo and I would if I had a choice as well. I appreciate the ability to watch it anywhere I want and it's portable. On top of that, you lose nothing by having a combo other than the cost difference (ok, ok, aside from the damn disc art) than having a HD-DVD.

I do wish they would give consumers a choice though, just so I could stop hearing about how combos are the devil...
Old 01-30-07, 02:12 PM
Banned

Combo disks are kinds cool, I've bought a few of them. I don't have a hd-dvd player but wanted the films so figured I could future proof myself. Better than forcing people to buy two versions.
Old 01-30-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like dual sided discs no matter what is on them
Old 01-30-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cinten
Better than forcing people to buy two versions.
If you own a HD DVD player and a combo disc is the only choice, then you are forced to get 2 versions. When I want a movie in HD, I'm saying I don't want it on dvd. That's why I like Paramount so much, they have released 0 combo discs.
Old 01-30-07, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
If you own a HD DVD player and a combo disc is the only choice, then you are forced to get 2 versions. When I want a movie in HD, I'm saying I don't want it on dvd. That's why I like Paramount so much, they have released 0 combo discs.

Ok, i will make it clearer, I like the idea of not being forced to buy one seprate SD disk and another completly different HD disk. I like the idea of one disk being able to play in any player in my house.
Old 01-30-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well your point of view might change if you have an HD-DVD player.
Old 01-30-07, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fandango
Maybe, but i know every TV in my house won't be HD. The bedroom one will be SD for a few years.
Old 01-30-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fandango

"Might" being the key word.

Since purchasing my own A1, I've really warmed up to the combo discs. I really appreciate having the ability to watch them wherever and whenever I want, as opposed to having to fire up my dedicated home theater every time.

I know from being an avid reader of these pages that there are plenty of people who don't appreciate the combo discs, but it's nice to see that I'm certainly not the only one who DOES like them. Outside of the slightly higher price (which is still quite a bit less than having to buy both HD and SD separately) and the lack of artwork (a: how much are you really going to look at the disc when it's in its case or in the player, and b: keep your hands clean and hold discs by their edges), combo discs offer a flexibility and freedom which I truly consider useful.

I've even posted elsewhere that I think it'd be very interesting down the road to see a few titles get released as HD-DVD/DVD combos ONLY. No SD counterpart . . .
Old 01-30-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I finally "got" the point of HD DVD combo discs the other day. I wanted to see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang away from my regular home theatre and was able to do so. That was nice. I've also lent out a couple of combo discs to people who don't have an HD DVD player.

Is that worth paying $5-$10 extra for? No.
Old 01-30-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I finally "got" the point of HD DVD combo discs the other day. I wanted to see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang away from my regular home theatre and was able to do so. That was nice. I've also lent out a couple of combo discs to people who don't have an HD DVD player.

Is that worth paying $5-$10 extra for? No.

Agreed. But at a lower price point -- on par with other HD-DVDs -- I think a lot of people would really begin to see the light . . .