Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray news and discussion

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray news and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No stickers for me either.
Old 11-15-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Region B import of The Exorcism of Emily Rose came in today from Amazon UK (3 days from over the pond, I wish Amazon US was that fast) and it plays fine in my Samsung. Picture quality is excellent as is the PCM track. I was surprised to see the UK blu-ray case is the same height as the US, but it's the same thickness as a DVD keepcase. Feels weird. I'll probably go back and get Hostel now.

My Fox discs had no stickers either.

Last edited by matome; 11-16-06 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-15-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
My Region B UK import of The Exorcism of Emily Rose came in today
Where did you order from? I don't see much of an HD DVD selection on Amazon UK yet.
Old 11-16-06, 06:59 AM
Banned

More fun with Google Checkout. The past two days I have sent DVD Empire emails, asking them when my order is expected to be shipped. Well, today they canceled my order. The reason - "customer requested cancellation". I most certainly did not! I just wanted to know when my order was being shipped!

So I just put in an order for BHD with DDD (using the discount) and KoH with Amazon. Its a race to see who has the fastest free shipping! My Best Prices order which was canceled on the 17th of last month still hasn't charged me back yet. Google stopped responding, so I contacted Best Prices directly and they responded - the same day mind you - that they would contact Google to straighten it out. Man those guys have great customer service.

So some time next week I'll be enjoying these great BD releases - and if all goes well - using my new surround sound system. *giggle*
Old 11-16-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
More fun with Google Checkout. The past two days I have sent DVD Empire emails, asking them when my order is expected to be shipped. Well, today they canceled my order. The reason - "customer requested cancellation". I most certainly did not!
It's that alter ego acting up again!
Old 11-16-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Where did you order from? I don't see much of an HD DVD selection on Amazon UK yet.
I got it from Amazon UK
Old 11-16-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that Emily Rose the unrated version?
Old 11-16-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes.
Old 11-16-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I got it from Amazon UK
Ah, somehow I missed that.
Old 11-16-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I edited that back into the original post, thus the comparison in ship times to Amazon US. You can't beat Amazon UK or JP for overseas shipping and that was just the regular air freight, not the "expedited" that literally costs as much as the disc.
Old 11-16-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ianholm
This was my biggest blu-ray release week yet and I'm happier than a pig in poop! Got Black Hawk Down, X3, LXG, Speed and the Transporter (plus Kiss of The Dragon from earlier). Watched Balck Hawk yesterday and it was just amazing! I was a little worried at first when the movie first starts up with the captions and it's SUPER grainy, but I see that was supposed to be like that. After that, you can see the sweat reflecting every pore on the faces and you can read the writing on vehicles and weapons. Damn. Sound just knocked my socks off! The pop-up menu is pretty cool as well with the sound effects and the multiple windows. I'll have go back to try and figure out that Blu-Wizard thing, though I may not have time with all the watching coming up. Anyway, I can not wait to pop in X3 tonight!
I agree this disc is pretty kick-ass. The Blu-Wizard thing uses seamless branching or something along those lines that will branch off to a relevant extra during playback of the movie and then return you to it. You can choose what you want to be included, like a playlist. I didn't play with it too much, but that's the gist I get from it.
Old 11-16-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep forgetting that the upcoming Alien vs Predator disc will use seamless branching. I think this is the first movie on a high-def format to do so. Glad they got it working. Now they can give us the multiple cuts of the alien movies via seamless branching on a BD50.

In addition to some of the other titles mentioned, I'd certainly love to see ID4 and Master and Commander released from Fox. I believe these were on a list DVD File provided a few months ago. They were supposed to be part of their first batch or two of releases. Maybe these will be put on BD50s as well.
Old 11-16-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Independence Day doesn't do too much for me, so I'll stick with my "Limited Edition" DVD, but I never got around to picking up any version of Master & Commander, so that will be an instant buy for me, as it should be pretty impressive, especially on the audio side with DTS-MA. I'm considering whether to give AVP another shot, since I only bought the original cut on DVD and never bothered with the unrated. I'm doubtful if extra footage can save that movie. But I may do it just to see an Alien and Predator in HD, unless Fox has some goodies awaiting us for the holidays
Old 11-16-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=393

PS3 impressions from The Man Room.
Old 11-16-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Independence Day doesn't do too much for me, so I'll stick with my "Limited Edition" DVD, but I never got around to picking up any version of Master & Commander, so that will be an instant buy for me, as it should be pretty impressive, especially on the audio side with DTS-MA. I'm considering whether to give AVP another shot, since I only bought the original cut on DVD and never bothered with the unrated. I'm doubtful if extra footage can save that movie. But I may do it just to see an Alien and Predator in HD, unless Fox has some goodies awaiting us for the holidays
Have extras been announced? The Master and Commander Collector's Edition has a whole lot of really cool stuff.
Old 11-16-06, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
Have extras been announced? The Master and Commander Collector's Edition has a whole lot of really cool stuff.
AFAIK, no BD-only title has included all the extras from it's SD counterpart. In fact, I think most Fox titles have been barebones, correct?
Old 11-16-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=393

PS3 impressions from The Man Room.
Can you put a blurb of what they said in your post?? I cant access that site from work.
Old 11-16-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
AFAIK, no BD-only title has included all the extras from it's SD counterpart.
Click BD contained all the extras from the DVD:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/click.html
Old 11-16-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AFAIK, no BD-only title has included all the extras from it's SD counterpart. In fact, I think most Fox titles have been barebones, correct?

It's hit or miss on the Fox titles so far.
Old 11-16-06, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
It's hit or miss on the Fox titles so far.
Is there a concrete list of the extras included? All I've read are the "misses," apparently.
Old 11-16-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

X3: the Last Stand

Smart menu technology
2 commentary tracks
Deletes scenes with 3 alternate endings
Trivia track
HD Trailer

Ice Age 2:

Smart menu technology
Commentary track
No time for Nuts animated short
Crash&Eddie stunts
The animation Director's chair : Multi angle scene studios
Lost historical student films on the Ice Age period - fun and innovative clips
Scratt's Pirhana Smackdown - Sound effects lab
Outake prank
Artist gallery Channel
Games: The Ice Age factoid Meltdown and Who's Your Buddy?
Old 11-16-06, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
X3: the Last Stand

Smart menu technology
2 commentary tracks
Deletes scenes with 3 alternate endings
Trivia track
HD Trailer

Ice Age 2:

Smart menu technology
Commentary track
No time for Nuts animated short
Crash&Eddie stunts
The animation Director's chair : Multi angle scene studios
Lost historical student films on the Ice Age period - fun and innovative clips
Scratt's Pirhana Smackdown - Sound effects lab
Outake prank
Artist gallery Channel
Games: The Ice Age factoid Meltdown and Who's Your Buddy?
what happened to that "official extras" thread? is that not being updated with BD stuff?
Old 11-16-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Can you put a blurb of what they said in your post?? I cant access that site from work.
Basically they said that the PS3 works well as a BD player, playing all types of BD without problems, including BDs with BD-J, BD50s, and Blu-Wizard.

They compared video playback to the Samsung and said "for the most part, the two machines handled the source material relatively identical to this naked eye." The play/pause on the PS3 is instantaneous, compared to a short delay with the Samsung.

However, they did have problems hooking up HDMI to their Westinghouse 1080p set.
"And now we have the Playstation 3 that, like Toshiba’s HD-DVD player, appears to suffer from some HDMI handshake issues."
Old 11-16-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what happened to that "official extras" thread? is that not being updated with BD stuff?
Probably not. It would be interesting to compare them to the dvd releases. I know Fantastic Four is supposed to be a bare bones release. I'm waiting to see how Kingdom of Heaven is.
Old 11-17-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matome, did you also get Hostel from them? I just ordered it with Emily Rose and when you go to check out the price drops from £13 to £11 for some reason so that pretty cool. Comes out to about $20.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.