Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray news and discussion

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray news and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
For those interested, a refurb Sammy for $500.

http://www.secondact.biz/product/BDP...FShCYwodQQEe9w

use code 2ndbluray and it drops the price to $499.99
Decent deal, but after looking at the price and availability of Blu-Ray software, I've decided to hold off until it becomes unbearable, at which point I'll re-evaluate.
Old 01-12-07, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I got an email from some place that has them for $300. I don't know if it's sketchy or not.

http://www.mykidscloset.com/mkc/22983.html
Old 01-12-07, 09:45 AM

Actually, I got an email from some place that has them for $300. I don't know if it's sketchy or not.

Rating the sketchy factor on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 9. I've never heard of the website, and the seller has not been rated. Should something go wrong, I don't see a return/exchange being easy. Like you, I'm not big on opening a credit account just to finance a player, but I'd definitely choose that over this, even if the price is higher.
Old 01-12-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is just a personal ad. It is clearly just one of those scammers "selling" a bunch of expensive stuff for unbelievably low prices. Definitely stay away.
Old 01-12-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony has released their first FW update for the BDP-S1 standalone player that fixes the BD-J issue with The Descent among other things:

SONY BDP-S1 1.50 firmware and instructions

From the site:

This utility updates the BDP-S1 firmware to version 1.50 and provides the following benefits:

Improves BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs
Enhances playback compatibility with certain BD-ROM format discs
Corrects the output signal status information for audio output and display when Linear PCM 5.1 channel soundtracks are played back via HDMI
Old 01-12-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
It remains to be seen how they would handle this, but I would be very surprised if they just let you copy the movie over without authorization and payment (even if it's relatively cheap, like $5).
I can see the copying requiring use of an authorized device, but I don't see them charging extra for its use. This is a new feature that's supposed to add value to the BD format, since a user could view the title they bought at home in HD or take a lower-quality version with them on their portable device. I see it as similar to those DVD titles that came with a free UMD of the movie as well. I don't think they're going to undermine the added value by trying to charge you for the lower quality version of the movie on the disc you already bought.
Old 01-12-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
I can see the copying requiring use of an authorized device, but I don't see them charging extra for its use. This is a new feature that's supposed to add value to the BD format, since a user could view the title they bought at home in HD or take a lower-quality version with them on their portable device. I see it as similar to those DVD titles that came with a free UMD of the movie as well. I don't think they're going to undermine the added value by trying to charge you for the lower quality version of the movie on the disc you already bought.
I was thinking along the lines of stopping multiple copies coming from one disc. Unless there's a way for the drive to mark the disc, or every disc has a unique mark (I really don't know), there would be no way to enforce it for one device or one person's set of devices. A disc (say, from Netflix) could have its portable version copied many times. Even the UMD thing is different because you can't copy a UMD, so it's at least limited to two copies.

Don't get me wrong; this would be nice if they're willing to do it, but I just wonder if they would offer something that could be abused like this.
Old 01-12-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Sony has released their first FW update for the BDP-S1 standalone player that fixes the BD-J issue with The Descent among other things:

SONY BDP-S1 1.50 firmware and instructions

From the site:

This utility updates the BDP-S1 firmware to version 1.50 and provides the following benefits:

Improves BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs
Enhances playback compatibility with certain BD-ROM format discs
Corrects the output signal status information for audio output and display when Linear PCM 5.1 channel soundtracks are played back via HDMI
Thanks for posting!
Old 01-12-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just noticed Reservoir Dogs is now up for pre-order at Amazon, WOOO-HOOO!!!!
Old 01-13-07, 01:51 AM
Banned

http://www.secondact.biz/product/BDP1000RB

refurbed Samsung for $449
Old 01-13-07, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I was thinking along the lines of stopping multiple copies coming from one disc. Unless there's a way for the drive to mark the disc, or every disc has a unique mark (I really don't know), there would be no way to enforce it for one device or one person's set of devices. A disc (say, from Netflix) could have its portable version copied many times. Even the UMD thing is different because you can't copy a UMD, so it's at least limited to two copies.

Don't get me wrong; this would be nice if they're willing to do it, but I just wonder if they would offer something that could be abused like this.
It is also unworkable in the other direction; If I own the disc and the authorized copy goes caput, I should have the ability to make another copy, so there is really no way to enforce any 1 copy limit on these things.

I'd LOVE to hear how Fox feels about this plan, being they are staunchly behind BD for (reportedly) the "superior" copy protection.
Old 01-13-07, 07:20 AM

And, with that, I've officially gone neutral. Thanks, DF!
Old 01-13-07, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vipper II
And, with that, I've officially gone neutral. Thanks, DF!
It's back up to $549. I hope you used the $10 coupon I posted in the bargains section. I forgot to go back and change it here.

If i didn't just buy a DVD recorder, laserdisc player and (soon to be) a receiver, I would've bit.
Old 01-14-07, 10:24 AM
Banned

What's up with the Phillips player? I haven't seen anyone talk about that one.
Old 01-14-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Close...Not quite but damn, we are getting real close . Probably would have if I didnt just get the new reciever.
Old 01-14-07, 11:31 AM

What's up with the Phillips player? I haven't seen anyone talk about that one.
CNET didn't particularly care for it, and Phillips' equipment is usually quality-challenged anyway, so take that as you wish.
Old 01-15-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't recall seeing this mentioned before, but Sound and Vision magazine said this in its review of the PS3:
In a nod to open standards — yes, I'm still talking about Sony — you can install other operating systems on the PS3. Rumor had it that PS3s were supposed to ship with Linux already installed, but this didn't happen.

If you're so inclined, however, you can add Linux — for now. I say this because, within days of PS3's launch, reports started appearing on the Web of people using Linux to hack PS3s and actually rip not only copies of Blu-ray movies to the PS3 hard drive but games as well. Once data has made it off a disc and onto a drive, it isn't a stretch to imagine it being burned or disseminated, something I'll bet Sony is loath to think about. I'm sure this is a hole that Sony is looking to plug — permanently — ASAP.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-...station-3.html
Old 01-15-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But those copies were never playable, just file dumps. Same could be done if you had a BD drive. On the other hand downloadable and playable rips of 30+ HD-DVD movies are available right now on torrent sites.
Old 01-15-07, 10:50 AM
Banned

But those copies were never playable, just file dumps. Same could be done if you had a BD drive. On the other hand downloadable and playable rips of 30+ HD-DVD movies are available right now on torrent sites.
That's the same thing that happened with HD DVD. At first, it was just file dumps.

It's only a matter of time.
Old 01-15-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably true, but if it does happen, BD can then implement the other two layers of copy-protection it has available.

Regardless, I think the whole thing is pretty moot anyway, since I just don't see people downloading and/or storing 20-50gb files as the norm for quite a while (especially people like me with 768kbps connections).
Old 01-15-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Agreed. Even with torrent, 20-50 GB files will take a lot of bandwidth, download time, and storage space. Makes me appreciate just how much data these high def discs really hold!

I couldn't download movies even if I wanted to because I am on a phone modem that is 24 Kbps on a good day. At least it's cheap ($99 a year).
Old 01-15-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
By "playable", i assume that you mean on a computer, since there's really no way to burn those files onto a disc playable in an HD-DVD unit.
Old 01-15-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, and even then it would only benefit the small number of people who actually have powerful enough HTPC's with HDCP-compatible video cards. Currently, real-world implications of this are pretty negligible, though whether it affects studio decisions remains to be seen.
Old 01-15-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Yes, and even then it would only benefit the small number of people who actually have powerful enough HTPC's with HDCP-compatible video cards. Currently, real-world implications of this are pretty negligible, though whether it affects studio decisions remains to be seen.
I didn't think you need HDCP Vid Cards to play the ripped files.
Old 01-15-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I didn't think you need HDCP Vid Cards to play the ripped files.
Maybe to transport them via HDMI to a display device?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.