Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Monster HD Powercenter effective?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 10-19-06, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new plasma and I am wandering if the new HD Powercenter from monster (Monster Cable MP HTFS 500 and Monster Cable MP HTFS 1000) are worth it?
Anyone is a owner?
Are you a happy owner?

Are the different level (l.1, l.2, l.3) worth the upgrade on the classic Monster Power center series, says; HTS 1000, HTS 800 or HTS 2000 ?

Is there a real difference in picture quality?

Thanks to you all!
Old 10-19-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have looked around and although the MonsterPower products are good, I have decided to go with Panamax instead.

This is the model I am planning to get (once I can afford it).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LEFOdjv...0&i=299M5500EX

The are other good options out there as well. The people I spoke with said that Monster was good but Panamax was better - one person in particular had switched from Monster to Panamax and said there was a clear difference. Just something to consider.
Old 10-19-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nicolas

Is there a real difference in picture quality?

Thanks to you all!
I doubt it. All these reviews tend to be without any real comparisons done. Just vague impressions from non-professionals. Unless there is something really wrong with your power and you need an actual conditioner/regenerator like speedyray linked, there isn't much need for the expensive stuff. I have the HTS 2000 and am very happy with it.

Like this review from the HTFS 500 model:
WOW! I was shocked at the difference in picture quality. The black levels were improved as well as the overall color vibrance and the HD programming really took on a more three dimensional feel.
http://www.monstercable.com/speakup/...ew.asp?ID=1889

Black level improved by blocking electrical noise?? No, I don't think so. This may even just be a sales pitch. The lesser models block noise, too. And so do these for a wee bit less money:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=110-454
I probably didn't need it, but I put cores on all my surge protector cords. Went crazy and spent $10 one day.

Last edited by Spiky; 10-19-06 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-19-06, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedyray
I have looked around and although the MonsterPower products are good, I have decided to go with Panamax instead.
That's what I did.
Old 10-19-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
I have the HTS 2000 and am very happy with it.
Same here. Picked it up back when Amazon was having a nutsy sale on it ($120 shipped or something like that) back in early '05.

I needed a decent surge protector anyway, so this model and price seemed right up my alley. Depending on your equipment and particular power situation, this may meet your needs.
Old 10-19-06, 06:36 PM

When I got my RPTV over 3 years ago, I wanted to get some kind of quality surge protection. I probably wouldn't have paid full price, but I got a Powerbar off eBay for like $100. I have no complaints, but wouldn't rave about it or anything. It's a surge protector...

I've since gotten two TrippLite UPS systems that I use on my RPTV and LCD TV. I got them at Costco for $100, and have been very happy with them. I wanted battery backup for the satellite receivers. Last summer we had quite a few storms, and the power would flash, then the receivers would take forever to start back up. Also, when the satellite signal was out, we could still keep track of the weather via OTA. But then if the power flashed, the receiver restarted, and then wouldn't boot up because it couldn't find a satellite signal. Now we can keep right on watching, not only after the power flash, but even if the power is completely out if we really need to...

http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...productID=3201

The screen rotates, so you can use it vertically or horizontally:
Old 10-19-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let me chime in that the reason I picked the model I did was for the constant power as mine jumps wildly and the noise is really bad. I live in a really old house with really bad wiring currently. I also have an Elite model reciever and as I understand it they crave and want steady high-current. It will probably be complete and utter overkill when I move, but for now I need it. If you want to get up close and personal with several units try a Best Buy. Ours just got the Magnolia upgrade and now have Monster and Panamax in store as well as another brand I think.
Old 10-20-06, 10:18 AM

Thanks to all of you...

So basically, it is effective as a surge protector but it will not change much in image quality (as stated by the manifacturer!) unless you have a specific knowned
electric problem/weekness!

Does that summs it up?
Old 10-20-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyray

This is the model I am planning to get (once I can afford it).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LEFOdjv...0&i=299M5500EX

The are other good options out there as well. The people I spoke with said that Monster was good but Panamax was better - one person in particular had switched from Monster to Panamax and said there was a clear difference. Just something to consider.

I have a Panamax (older version). Would love that 5500 unit.
Old 10-20-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I have a Panamax (older version). Would love that 5500 unit.

I would too, but the wife looks at $999 and says damn. I mean it is way more than my HD-DVD player, more than my Elite reciever and over half what my HDTV cost. But is should last well past the lifespanof all those units.