Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Apple to support HD-dvd?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Apple to support HD-dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Apple to support HD-dvd?

DVDtown.com
"First a Blu-ray supporter only, Apple is now likely to add HD-DVD support as well to their next OS release, named Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, scheduled for release early next year.

It is also believed that they will add support for both formats in their upcoming new version of their Final Cut Pro video editing software, scheduled for release mid next year."
also from ThinkSecret.com
"Briefly: Apple to back HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?
October 17, 2006 - Apple joined the Blu-ray Disc Association in March 2005 but has kept largely mum on its support and adoption of the next-generation disc technology. At the time, Apple's decision to put its weight behind Blu-ray was seen as a coup for Blu-ray and blow to the competing HD-DVD format, but documents recently obtained by Think Secret indicate that Apple may in fact be planning to support both formats equally.

While members of the Blu-ray camp, which include Dell, Panasonic, Pioneer, and Sony, have kept their distance from HD-DVD, which is backed by Microsoft, Toshiba, and Intel, among others, Apple would not be the first vendor to side with both formats: Hewlett Packard actively supports both formats.

From a business perspective, backing both Blu-ray and HD-DVD makes tremendous sense for Apple. The company's hardware and software is used extensively in Hollywood, and HD-DVD is exclusively backed by Universal Studios, while other studios have lent non-exclusive support to the format. Were Apple to forgo HD-DVD support in its products, it could potentially limit the adoption of its products by some film makers.

In addition, neither Blu-ray nor HD-DVD has established any meaningful lead in the marketplace since hardware arrived in consumer hands earlier this year, and neither appears poised to do so in the near future. Some manufacturers have also started to divert attention to producing drives, recorders, and media that support both formats, similar to how most DVD recorders and players on the market today support both DVD-R and DVD+R.

As for when the next-generation disc formats might be available in Apple hardware, sources are uncertain but indications point to the first-half of 2007, when Apple plans to roll-out Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard as well as a major upgrade to Final Cut Studio, which is said will support both high-definition formats out of the box.

New startup aims to enhance shareware experience

Users and developers of shareware for Mac OS X can look forward to a more efficient experience for procuring licenses for the software when Golden/Braeburn launches its services later this year. Tipsters say the company, started by Wil Shipley and Lucas Newman of Delicious Monster, plans to easily enable other shareware developers to tap into the easy buying experience Delicious Monster currently employs.

For end-users, this means doing away with needing to fill out forms in Web browsers and hassling with shopping carts in order to buy a license for their favorite piece of shareware. Developers, meanwhile, can look forward to enhanced automation and security beyond what other services and custom solutions, people familiar with the company's plans report."

Last edited by DthRdrX; 10-17-06 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 04:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple currently offers only HD DVD support on the pro level DVD authoring software, DVD Studio Pro 4. No BD authoring options exist on it yet, but HD DVD is on there. I've used it to author red laser HD content on normal DVD-Rs.
Old 10-18-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark my words. Apple will jump on the first all-in-one drive available. They are a software and industrial design company. They will support both.
Old 10-18-06, 12:39 PM
Banned

My next computer will be a MacBook Pro with Blu-Ray drive.
Old 10-18-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012
My next computer will be a MacBook Pro with Blu-Ray drive.
What if they never release a MacBook Pro with a BD drive. I honestly think like some of the other posters that Apple will jump on a hybrid drive that does both and not offer a BD or HD-DVD drive.
Old 10-18-06, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedyray
What if they never release a MacBook Pro with a BD drive. I honestly think like some of the other posters that Apple will jump on a hybrid drive that does both and not offer a BD or HD-DVD drive.
If it can read/write BD, its enough of a BD drive for me.
Old 10-18-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That won't be til someone makes a 9mm high slot loader. Could be awhile. My next computer will be a MBP, but I'm just waiting til I have the money. (wait, that could be even longer)
Old 10-18-06, 06:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I concur that Apple will jump on an all-in-one. They have nothing to gain from locking out HD DVD or BD.
Old 10-20-06, 08:19 PM

Apple will do what is the best interest of Apple and we all know what that is, dual support. It will be officially announced when Leapord is released. God that update cannot get here soon enough.

PS..