Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Goofy advertising slogans for HD DVD and Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Goofy advertising slogans for HD DVD and Blu-ray

Old 09-19-06, 05:36 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 516
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond High Definition ????

Ok Sony's new slogan appears to be Beyond High Definition as it is on all of thier new upcoming Blu-Ray titles. Ok is it me or are the slogans for both of these formats really bad? I mean what is beyond High Definition? is that saying its better than High Definition? going where High Definition has never gone before??

Am I the only one who thinks that both the slogans for HD-DVD anD Blu-Ray are really cheap sounding? I just find it hard to belive that out of all of the hundreds maybe thousands of slogans pitched to these companies that the Look and Sound of Perfect and Beyond High Definition is what the settled for. Advertising continues to plummet down the hole imo.

PS...
Old 09-19-06, 06:22 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Acushnet, Massachusetts
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do agree that both slogans are kind of silly and dumb, but they both need something that will capture the consumer's mind.

Personally, 'The look and sound of perfect' sounds better than 'beyond high definition' since most don't have HD. Perfect is a word everyone knows.
Old 09-19-06, 06:31 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 516
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrChaos
I do agree that both slogans are kind of silly and dumb, but they both need something that will capture the consumer's mind.

Personally, 'The look and sound of perfect' sounds better than 'beyond high definition' since most don't have HD. Perfect is a word everyone knows.

Agreed the Look And Sound of Perfect is the less annoying of the two. I just dont understand what Beyond HD even means? They havent even caught up to the current levels of quality in HD and now they are advertising beyond HD. Its awful, thats the only word that comes to mind.

PS...
Old 09-19-06, 06:33 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,274
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PornoStar
Ok is it me or are the slogans for both of these formats really bad?
It's not just you. They're both really bad. The old Blu-ray slogan of "Experience High Definition" was pretty bland. I think Universal's original HD DVD slogan put it the most succinctly: "The Best in Picture, Sound, and Interactivity". All in all, I'd prefer they just dump the stupid slogans and swooshy artwork and give us some nice cover art instead.
Old 09-19-06, 06:43 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 516
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
It's not just you. They're both really bad. The old Blu-ray slogan of "Experience High Definition" was pretty bland. I think Universal's original HD DVD slogan put it the most succinctly: "The Best in Picture, Sound, and Interactivity". All in all, I'd prefer they just dump the stupid slogans and swooshy artwork and give us some nice cover art instead.
I couldnt agree more. If I worked for any of these companies the first thing I would do is ditch the slogans, make 100% of the available box space used only for artwork and finally I would ditch the conventional SD release artwork and use different artwork for HD releases. We all know there is a wealth of advertising materials for most films and usually at least 2 or 3 posters. Using the same artwork just doesnt make any sense to me especially when your trying to seperate this release from the SD release.

PS...
Old 09-19-06, 07:03 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
All in all, I'd prefer they just dump the stupid slogans and swooshy artwork and give us some nice cover art instead.
All in favor?


AYE!

.
Old 09-19-06, 10:09 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,411
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
co-sign
Old 09-19-06, 11:17 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PornoStar
Advertising continues to plummet down the hole imo.

PS...
If you want to follow this metaphor, then technically they are digging the hole deeper. They started at the bottom and are getting worse.
Old 09-19-06, 11:57 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,041
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PornoStar
I just dont understand what Beyond HD even means? They havent even caught up to the current levels of quality in HD and now they are advertising beyond HD. Its awful, thats the only word that comes to mind.
I honestly think the slogan is supposed to refer to the interactive features (BD-J). It means, "don't just watch high definition. Go beyond it by experiencing our new interactive features." (Not that we've actually seen them on the discs yet.)

It would be ridiculous if they really just mean the video, especially if it's that nonsense about 1080p output.
Old 09-20-06, 10:31 AM
  #10  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep, both are lame but the "Beyond High Definition" tagline is outright asinine. Whoever got paid to come up with that should be beaten with a wet noodle.
Old 09-20-06, 10:34 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
I honestly think the slogan is supposed to refer to the interactive features (BD-J). It means, "don't just watch high definition. Go beyond it by experiencing our new interactive features." (Not that we've actually seen them on the discs yet.)

It would be ridiculous if they really just mean the video, especially if it's that nonsense about 1080p output.
That may be, but when someone reads "Beyond High Definition", they're probably going to think "Better than High Definition" which is incorrect.
Old 09-20-06, 10:57 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond High Definition sucks, but I wasn't a fan of the HD DVD slogan the first time I heard it. It is growing on me though and its at least not as misleading as the BD slogan.
Old 09-20-06, 12:30 PM
  #13  
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: In Transit, HQ
Posts: 25,019
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Beyond High Definition sucks, but I wasn't a fan of the HD DVD slogan the first time I heard it. It is growing on me though and its at least not as misleading as the BD slogan.
I'm not a fan of either, but how is the BD slogan more misleading?? If anything it's less misleading.

HD DVD = Look and Sound of Perfect. What, this is Perfect? Meaning nothing left to improve?
BD = Beyond High Definition. Your experience is more than just the HD video.

You may be irked (as am I) at how they stuck the word "beyond" in front as to make it sound like you're getting more out of BD than from HD DVD. We could be misled to think that way, even if that's not what it says. Even so, it's still less misleading than the perfection claim by HD DVD.
Old 09-20-06, 01:00 PM
  #14  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take it to mean:

The Look And Sound of Perfect: That's their goal. They're working towards perfection

And although I have zero idea what it means to be "beyond HD..."

Beyond High-Definition: They're really "over" high-definition. They're clearly thinking it's easier and sit back to do whatever they feel like doing in the meantime. It'll be high-definition when they say it's high-definition. Blah blah.

And I guess this begs the question: does anyone really give a shit about slogans any more? Did SD DVD ever have a slogan?
Old 09-20-06, 02:31 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 284
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
And I guess this begs the question: does anyone really give a shit about slogans any more? Did SD DVD ever have a slogan?
I think it was, "An end to 'Be Kind, Please Rewind' stickers".
Old 09-20-06, 02:36 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by namja
I'm not a fan of either, but how is the BD slogan more misleading?? If anything it's less misleading.

BD = Beyond High Definition. Your experience is more than just the HD video.
How you got "Your experience is more than just the HD video" out of "Beyond High Definition" is completely beyond my comprehension. The word beyond denotes "farther than", "surpassing" or "exceeding". To me, that implies "better than", or in HD-specific terms, "more definition than". If they had said "High Definition and a whole lot more" or something similar, then I would agree that your definition is the clearly intended one. But as it is, it is clear to me that they intended that people might be led to believe that Blu-ray offers a better HD image than other HD sources, including HD DVD.
Old 09-20-06, 02:39 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,153
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The PS3 slogan is Play Beyond giving the BD slogan an instant connection there for the gamers as well.
Old 09-20-06, 02:45 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
FantasticVSDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: No longer trapped
Posts: 11,610
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Judremy
I think it was, "An end to 'Be Kind, Please Rewind' stickers".
SOLD!!!!
Old 09-20-06, 03:20 PM
  #19  
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: In Transit, HQ
Posts: 25,019
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I take it to mean:

The Look And Sound of Perfect: That's their goal. They're working towards perfection

And although I have zero idea what it means to be "beyond HD..."

Beyond High-Definition: They're really "over" high-definition. They're clearly thinking it's easier and sit back to do whatever they feel like doing in the meantime. It'll be high-definition when they say it's high-definition. Blah blah.

And I guess this begs the question: does anyone really give a shit about slogans any more? Did SD DVD ever have a slogan?
So, for HD DVD, you're choosing to believe that perfect is merely their goal even though they state that that's what it is.

And for BD, even though they didn't say that they are over high definition, you're again choosing to believe that's what they say.

Alrighty then ...
Old 09-20-06, 03:25 PM
  #20  
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: In Transit, HQ
Posts: 25,019
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
How you got "Your experience is more than just the HD video" out of "Beyond High Definition" is completely beyond my comprehension. The word beyond denotes "farther than", "surpassing" or "exceeding". To me, that implies "better than", or in HD-specific terms, "more definition than". If they had said "High Definition and a whole lot more" or something similar, then I would agree that your definition is the clearly intended one. But as it is, it is clear to me that they intended that people might be led to believe that Blu-ray offers a better HD image than other HD sources, including HD DVD.
If they wanted to mean "better than" then they would have chosen "Better Than High Definition" as their slogan. The word "beyond" here denotes "in addition to" which I thought was pretty clear. Sure, it could mean something else, which is the misleading part; I understand that. But if you want to get that picky, then HD DVD is flat out lying as it is not perfect.
Old 09-20-06, 03:28 PM
  #21  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think most people will read "Beyond High Definition" as "Better picture than high definition," which it most certainly is not. "The Look And Sound of Perfect" has more wiggle room because "perfect" isn't an objective standard in this case.
Old 09-20-06, 03:41 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no question that they are both misleading. That's the purpose of marketing slogans, right?

My quibble is with your assumption that the BDA intended for people to use the "in addition to" definition of beyond over the "farther than" definition. generally, when dictionaries list various definitions for a given word, the one that represents the most common or proper use is listed first, and the first definition of beyond at dictionary.com that could apply to this context is "farther than". In fact, technically, "in addition to" isn't even listed as an accepted use of beyond. The closest would be "over and above", and that is one of the least-used definitions of the word. My suspicion is that, since most people will be more likely to associate beyond with "farther than", many people will incorrectly assume that BD has better resolution than HD DVD. And I do think that was by intent, not coincidence.
Old 09-20-06, 03:44 PM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by namja
So, for HD DVD, you're choosing to believe that perfect is merely their goal even though they state that that's what it is.

And for BD, even though they didn't say that they are over high definition, you're again choosing to believe that's what they say.

Alrighty then ...
Again, a little research into the history of these formats and the mindset of the people behind them really helps.

Would you like some links?
Old 09-20-06, 03:59 PM
  #24  
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: In Transit, HQ
Posts: 25,019
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
There's no question that they are both misleading. That's the purpose of marketing slogans, right?
Very true.


In fact, technically, "in addition to" isn't even listed as an accepted use of beyond.
Well, Webster and American Heritage dictionary would disagree (dictionary.com actually has the AHD listing just below its own). Both list "in addition to" as a definition.
Old 09-20-06, 04:01 PM
  #25  
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: In Transit, HQ
Posts: 25,019
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Again, a little research into the history of these formats and the mindset of the people behind them really helps.
I'm just saying, if you want to be literal, then be literal to both. Or give wiggle room for both. Otherwise your argument loses credibility. The fact remains that both are misleading. And as RoboDad mentioned, that is the purpose of marketing slogans.

Of course, if you want, we can discuss the meaning of the word is.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.