Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Hawk Down & Layer Cake BD50 (11/14)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalBits
We've got a little bit more high-def format information for you this afternoon. Sony has just officially announced the Blu-ray Disc release of Layer Cake and Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down (144-minute version) on 11/14 (SRP $28.95 each). For the record, both titles will be released on the new 50GB dual-layered BD-ROM configuration. Both titles will feature 1080p video and uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio. We believe (and we're working to confirm) that Black Hawk Down will include at least some (if not all) of the standard-def extras that were released on the previous 3-disc set. Extras on Layer Cake are TBA.
Black Hawk Down is now on my wish list.
Old 09-25-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Guess the Blu-ray format finally arrives on 11/14.

Black Hawk Down should be an awesome release. This is what I want to see. A BD release at the promised high bit rates.
Old 09-25-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Surprisingly it looks to have the majority of extras from the deluxe - minus a historical doc, multi angle stuff and trailers. Assuming the full making-of doc is there I'm happy. Keep it up Sony, hope the A/V is awesome.
Old 09-25-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
...hope the A/V is awesome.
Oddly enough, words the HD-DVD folks don't have to actually speak out loud...

Old 09-25-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Winking or not, we're trying to steer away from that sorta thing here.
Old 09-25-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to BHD . My fourth, and hopefully, last purchase of this movie.
Old 09-25-06, 09:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not personally a fan of BHD, but I can respect it. Layer Cake, on the other hand...
Old 09-25-06, 11:03 PM
Banned

Totally would have bought BHD but not without all the extras...on either format.

I already have a superbit version, thank you very much.
Old 09-26-06, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I already have a superbit version, thank you very much.
Equating a movie-only version with a release containing four hours' worth of extras...

Old 09-26-06, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by matome
Looking forward to BHD . My fourth, and hopefully, last purchase of this movie.
do you actually watch the movie - or is it just keeping up with the latest edition ??

** one wonders what the next release will be......Black Hawk Down in 3D !! **
Old 09-26-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it were on HD-DVD I would pick up Layer Cake. I actually picked it up on DVD this week (good price). If I get around to getting a BD player I would get it - if i has decent quality.
Old 09-26-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Black Hawk Down is one of those titles that would increase my chances of getting BD. However, there needs to be alot more like that title available.
Old 09-26-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but The Digital Bits has updated their announcement. It now reads:

Sony reveals Black Hawk Down on 50GB Blu-ray Disc (sort of)
We've got a little bit more high-def format information for you this morning. We originally posted early yesterday evening that Sony had just announced the Blu-ray Disc release of Layer Cake and Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down (144-minute version) on 11/14 (SRP $28.95 each). For the record, they DID have them listed on their press website for a few hours yesterday afternoon, before hastily taking them down again. What you can infer from this is that the announcement is impending. I've spoken to Sony reps who say that the actual official announcement will happen "very soon".

This could mean that they just want to control the release of this info with a more formal press release. Or it could mean (yet another) delay. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 09-26-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonyjg
do you actually watch the movie - or is it just keeping up with the latest edition ??

** one wonders what the next release will be......Black Hawk Down in 3D !! **
Oh, I watch the movie all the time as it's my fave war movie. I don't care about extras for the most part, but will double-dip for technical upgrades, though I picked up the 3-disc set for the full documentary and the SB for the DTS.
Old 09-26-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BHD is potentially the first title on BD that would get me excited about the format (but still not enough to buy a player yet).

If they include all of the extras from the 3 disc (possibly some hd extras?? doubt it though) and awesome pic/audio, this one will be stellar and probably reference on BD.

It has potential, but lets see what they give us.

I enjoyed Layer Cake, but to me, its not rewatchable. Im not sure why its a BD50....maybe it just barely passes the 25gb mark.

Anyways, if/when I get a BD player next year (or a PS3 this year), Im hoping that BHD is everything that it could be and I will purchase it (and sell off my 3 disc sd version). Fingers crossed.
Old 09-26-06, 08:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Davis DVD
After a number of delays, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced the Blu-Ray disc release of Black Hawk Down for November 14th. Certainly one of the bigger guns for Blu-Ray, Ridley Scott's battlefield epic arrives with a 1080p anamorphic transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM 5.1 (uncompressed) tracks. Bonus materials include three commentary tracks (Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Director Ridley Scott, Author Mark Bowden and Screenwriter Ken Nolan, U.S. Special Forces Veterans '93), deleted scenes, "The True Story of Black Hawk Down" History Channel Documentary, "The Essense of Combat: Making Black Hawk Down" and "Image & Design" featurettes, Q&A sessions at BAFTA, Editor's Guild and American Cinematheque. Retail is $28.95.
Looks like it doesn't get all the extras from the 3-disc DVD set (not surprising), but it does get a healthy chunk. Especially if they can get the HD versions of some of those documentaries!
Old 09-26-06, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Looks like it doesn't get all the extras from the 3-disc DVD set (not surprising), but it does get a healthy chunk. Especially if they can get the HD versions of some of those documentaries!
Yeah, sometimes some of the extras are fluff...as long as they retain the meat, im happy and it sounds like they are keeping them.

For once, this release detail sounds like an hd-dvd release.

I guess the big disappointment in this is that it will most likely be MPEG2....which may make the picture less than stellar, but we shall see!
Old 09-26-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Especially if they can get the HD versions of some of those documentaries!
This is all I want out of the extras, so I'm crossing my fingers!
Old 09-26-06, 08:48 AM
Banned

This is all I want out of the extras, so I'm crossing my fingers!
a 2 1/2 hour movie in HD plus you want extras in HD??? On BD???

Not a chance in hell.

Sorry but again, unless I can completely replace my SD version, it ain't happening for me. Anything else is laziness and I expect more from a company that rams promises of "larger capacity" up everyones ass.
Old 09-26-06, 08:55 AM

Not a chance in hell.

Sorry but again, unless I can completely replace my SD version, it ain't happening for me. Anything else is laziness and I expect more from a company that rams promises of "larger capacity" up everyones ass.
You forgot MPEG2 also.

I doubt that those docs were filmed in HD anyways. If any are widescreen, anamorphic would be nice, but its probably not likely either.

As far as extras, I do hope they include all from the 3 disc and they very well might, but if they leave off one or two things that were fluff, its no biggie to me.

Same goes for HD-DVD in my book. Extras are important to me, but sometimes some are crap or filler.

Ive seen some of those docs for BHD and they are well worth it. To have released this disc without those, would have been a travesty!
Old 09-26-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're probably right about the docs not filmed in HD. As far as MPEG2, it doesn't bother me because Stealth is encoded with that and it looked damn good to me on that store display, enough to make me get the player on the spot.
Old 09-26-06, 09:06 AM

You're probably right about the docs not filmed in HD. As far as MPEG2, it doesn't bother me because Stealth is encoded with that and it looked damn good to me on that store display, enough to make me get the player on the spot.
Its very possible that it will be fine with MPEG2 since its on BD50, but we wont know until we see it.

Remember, this movie is very long AND is going to have uncompressed audio plus alot of extras. So, it could turn out very different than Stealth. Id be curious to know the final size of it all on the BD50 disc.

I hope they do it right.
Old 09-26-06, 09:08 AM
Banned

That makes you get a player and HD DVD didn't??

I seriously don't get it.
Old 09-26-06, 09:23 AM
Banned

Not a chance in hell.

Tears of the Sun is 2 hours encoded in MPEG-2 and has uncompressed PCM audio - all on a 25GB disc. This title is considered reference. Doubling the capacity of the disc for a movie that is 20 minutes longer should be plenty of room for anything they want to throw on the disc.

As was mentioned by many, most of the other stuff is just fluff, and as long as they get the interesting stuff on here, I'll be happy. Honestly, I don't need any extras and would prefer them to boost this title to 40Mbps MPEG-2 w/ 48/24 PCM, but I know that won't happen.
Old 09-26-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert

This could mean that they just want to control the release of this info with a more formal press release. Or it could mean (yet another) delay. We'll have to wait and see.

...or they're going to announce it as part of their " Ultra Superbit Series"

They probably want to market these different from the SL releases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.