Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used a Voom receiver to pick up OTA HD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Dell 2005fpw 20 inch widescreen monitor that I want to view HD broadcast on. I can't afford an HDTV now and I'm not even sure I can get a signal in my apartment. It's built into the ground and there are tons of trees around me.

I have read that you can use a Voom receiver to pick up OTA HD. As long as you get one that was removed before you called Voom to cancel your satillite HD.

Has anyone tried this? I was going to get a DVI to VGA adaptor so I can hook it up to the monitor. I know my Xbox 360 uses VGA for HD. Anyway just looking for advice.
Old 08-23-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still use mine, my brother has my second unit. It works fine for OTA. As noted, you have to have one that was not turned off. The units that were not cancelled were left operational. If you look through the archives at http://www.satelliteguys.us/index.php? you should be able to find more information.
Old 08-25-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a Voom receiver for OTA-HD in Durham, NC. The towers are 35 miles away and tons of trees and hills, etc. and it works like a champ with an outdoor antenna. I've since upgraded to Time Warner w/ HD package so I don't use the free OTA anymore. I still have my Voom receiver if you need one. I'd be willing to part with it. PM me if you want.