Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

XBox360 upgrade... Upconvert DVD's to HD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

XBox360 upgrade... Upconvert DVD's to HD

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowenbotten
Why? Your complaint doesn't make any sense.
Because MS has stated that if there was a demand for HDMI, that they would implement it. They have also stated that it was possible to use HDMI with the 360.

How does my complaint not make any sense?

Todd Holmdahl: Xbox 360 will support HD component video output, which is compatible with nearly every HD-ready TV on the market today. We’re poised to hit the sweet spot of the HD market at launch and as the market matures, and we will provide an HDMI for our customers when it makes sense.
Old 06-08-06, 11:17 AM

It's (supposedly) coming:
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=8540&
Old 06-08-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Is it just with a VGA cable, or just component cables as well?

I was watching Underworld: Evolution earlier, and I thought it looked incredible for a DVD.
i was thinking that too, but I guess its just a great transfer
Old 06-08-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HDMI at this point though isnt necessary...
Old 06-08-06, 12:23 PM

I'm kind of torn on what I want to do. The VGA cable makes movies look AMAZING, and the Component cable makes the games look a lot better. I may just return the VGA, buy OPPO, and use that. I would rather spend $150 on an OPPO and get near HD quality and keep all my movies than spend $500 on a 1st gen. HD-DVD player with not much going for it right now.
Old 06-08-06, 12:33 PM
mbs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IanHummel
I would rather spend $150 on an OPPO and get near HD quality and keep all my movies than spend $500 on a 1st gen. HD-DVD player with not much going for it right now.
I wouldn't say it doesn't have much going for it, but that is for another thread....

The Toshiba is reported to upconvert to a noticably better picture than the Oppo. Just something to keep in mind, if you are planning on dropping $150 anyhow.
Old 06-08-06, 12:40 PM
Banned

I'm kind of torn on what I want to do. The VGA cable makes movies look AMAZING, and the Component cable makes the games look a lot better. I may just return the VGA, buy OPPO, and use that. I would rather spend $150 on an OPPO and get near HD quality and keep all my movies than spend $500 on a 1st gen. HD-DVD player with not much going for it right now.
FantasticVsDoom has the Oppo and he came over and saw my HD DVD player. He might be able to help you choose.

Thus far, the Toshiba is the best player I've bought, hands down.
Old 06-08-06, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Because MS has stated that if there was a demand for HDMI, that they would implement it. They have also stated that it was possible to use HDMI with the 360.

How does my complaint not make any sense?
Because using HDMI with the 360 at this stage won't make anything look any better than it does now.
Old 06-08-06, 02:55 PM

EDIT:

Started a new thread topic.

BAck to my original question though, why am I seeing a not as crisp and clean picture using the VGA compared to the component cable when playing games on the 360? The movies on the VGA cable look a lot better, but the games don't look as good. What gives?

Last edited by IanHummel; 06-08-06 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 03:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lowenbotten
Because using HDMI with the 360 at this stage won't make anything look any better than it does now.
You might be referring to VGA, but you can't honestly tell me that there is no difference in the PQ between HDMI and component.

Not everyone has a VGA monitor larger than 17" that they can use for 360 gaming. I didn't want to spend an additional $800 on my $3000 tv, just to get a VGA out.
Old 06-08-06, 03:43 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
You might be referring to VGA, but you can't honestly tell me that there is no difference in the PQ between HDMI and component.
There should be no difference between HDMI and component (assuming there is no difference in processing). Component can handle even 1080p with no artifacts (although I'm not sure any TV accepts 1080p over component).

DVD players only upscale over digital (HDMI, VGA or DVI), so you might be swayed by processing being done to the signal. But for an unprocessed signal, HDMI and component should give identical results.

And if you think a "purely digital" signal is better... well, most all HDTVs convert HDMI signals to analog inside the set anyhow (before going back to digital). Who knows why (I assume there is some reason), but even with HDMI on most sets, you are getting analog-digital conversions.
Old 06-08-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i thought monitors weren't HDCP-compliant (at least the ones made until fairly rcently), does that not matter? I have one of my 360s hooked up to a dell 2405fpw, can i use the VGA cable to watch upconverted DVDs? I know I have to use component for the HD comcast box with the monitor or I get an error message.
Old 06-08-06, 08:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
FantasticVsDoom has the Oppo and he came over and saw my HD DVD player. He might be able to help you choose.

Thus far, the Toshiba is the best player I've bought, hands down.
So the Toshiba HD-DVD player upconverts regular DVDs?

Also, for those considering an OPPO: It's region free and converts PAL->NTSC, and the company does tons of firmware updates. This was the final selling point for me, as I own a ton of other region DVDs.
Old 06-08-06, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
So the Toshiba HD-DVD player upconverts regular DVDs?

Also, for those considering an OPPO: It's region free and converts PAL->NTSC, and the company does tons of firmware updates. This was the final selling point for me, as I own a ton of other region DVDs.
Of course it upconverts regular DVD's.

I got rid of all my "other region" dvd's
Old 06-09-06, 12:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know why you'd get rid of your other region DVDs. Some of those releases are films not out here, or with extras we'll never see here, or in versions unavailable here. I doubt we'll ever see a remastered version of The Draughstman's Contract or half of Takashi Miike's catalogue on DVD in America.
Old 06-09-06, 08:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't know why you'd get rid of your other region DVDs. Some of those releases are films not out here, or with extras we'll never see here, or in versions unavailable here. I doubt we'll ever see a remastered version of The Draughstman's Contract or half of Takashi Miike's catalogue on DVD in America.
I only watch American films for the most part...

but don't you worry, i've made sure i can still watch every single one of them on my new, MUCH BETTER machine.
Old 06-09-06, 02:00 PM

BAck to my original question though, why am I seeing a not as crisp and clean picture using the VGA compared to the component cable when playing games on the 360? The movies on the VGA cable look a lot better, but the games don't look as good. What gives?
Old 06-17-06, 10:23 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
Macrovision copy protection prevents any upscaling over component (and any other analog connection). So this, nor any DVDp, will upscale over component.
Not true. There are plenty of DVD players than upscale over component. Also Macrovision doesn't prevent upscaling over component at all. The deal is that the Macrovision signal is not passed via HD component. Therefore, many "legitimate" DVD manufacturers don't allow upscaling over component because it could be used to defeat Macrovision and make good copies.
Old 06-17-06, 11:23 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by JM
Not true. There are plenty of DVD players than upscale over component. Also Macrovision doesn't prevent upscaling over component at all. The deal is that the Macrovision signal is not passed via HD component. Therefore, many "legitimate" DVD manufacturers don't allow upscaling over component because it could be used to defeat Macrovision and make good copies.
I'm pretty positive to upscale over component you HAVE to disable macrovision. Which is the same as my saying that macrovision prevents upscaling over component, no?

Do any name brand (and non-hacked) DVD players upscale over component? I'm not trying to challenge you, but I've never heard of one that did.
Old 06-20-06, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by mbs
I'm pretty positive to upscale over component you HAVE to disable macrovision. Which is the same as my saying that macrovision prevents upscaling over component, no?

Do any name brand (and non-hacked) DVD players upscale over component? I'm not trying to challenge you, but I've never heard of one that did.
My Zenith 318 upscales over component.

I believe the newer models don't allow this anymore, however. There are some other players that allow upscaling over component, but I don't remember them offhand.
Old 06-20-06, 12:57 PM

I don't use the Xbox 360 for DVDs but I went to VGA to avoid using a switch box. I'm using the component for HDVT and Svideo for DVD (long story). The DVI port on my older Dell 23" LCD monitor isn't HDCP compliant so I can't use the TV on it. This left VGA for the Xbox. I thought it actually improved the picture but maybe I'm wrong. What type of issues are you having?
Old 06-22-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

VGA for games, havent tried dvds, on my 360 is washed out. Blacks are greenish, ugly. It's not the input either as my PC looks fine.
Old 06-22-06, 05:51 PM
Cool New Member

I still can't believe the 360 doesn't have an HDMI cable =/
Old 07-02-08, 10:27 AM

Have it and it's working

First of all, you have to use the component (not VGA) cables that came with your console (make sure to toggle the switch on the connector to HD) OR an HDMI cable (if you have a comptable XBOX). Secondly, make sure your system settings are adjusted for the appropriate resolution and all that jazz. After that, just play a DVD and there is a BIG difference. It definitely upconverts. It doesn't look as good as a Blu-Ray picture would of the same movie, but it still looks great. On a side note, it will actually upconvert movies from your computer that you play through the XBOX. So, a lot of those semi-crappy movies you may have stored on your computer will, in many cases, look a lot better played through your XBOX to your display.
Old 07-02-08, 10:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.