Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Supported formats on PS3

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Supported formats on PS3

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supported formats on PS3

There seems to be lots of confusion about what exactly the PS3 supports. Here's the answer:

Notice the Dolby TrueHD logo - Dolby TrueHD is ONLY possible with HDMI 1.3. Which goes to show that the PS3 (at least, the $599 version) is indeed equipped with HDMI 1.3, which can enable lossless digital tracks. So yes, PS3 supports hi-res audio, as well as Super Audio CD.

More information on the decoding ability of the PS3

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 05-26-06 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-26-06, 07:51 PM
Banned

So in other words the Playstation 3 has higher video and audio then the HD-A1.
Old 05-26-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's what it sounds like
Old 05-26-06, 08:22 PM
Banned

Every high definition player is a rip off. The Playstation 3 is by far the best way to get your moneys worth.
Old 05-26-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Let's wait until it comes out before making that judgment. The PS3 may be a spectacular Blu-ray player -- I have no idea -- but the point is that no one does, really.
Old 05-26-06, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Let's wait until it comes out before making that judgment. The PS3 may be a spectacular Blu-ray player -- I have no idea -- but the point is that no one does, really.
My point is even if its not the price value will still be higher. Stand alone players will probably be around $800 by then and I highly doubt that the capabilites will be 4x as good.
Old 05-26-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is at the very least somewhat encouraging for the Blu-Ray camp, if it's accurate. As my first foray into HD discs will be the PS3, I hope (perhaps a bit too optimistically) that it is a great BD player.
Old 05-27-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://rapidshare.de/files/19990426/ps3_images.rar

Here are 9 UHQ photos of the PS3, from all angles. Though it's not clear which model this shows.
Old 05-27-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely looks like it supports HDMI 1.3 which is great. I guess my only concern is its all software decoding by the core processor. However, that may be a complete non issue and the cell processor might do a great job. I'll definitely look forward to the system being tested. Really like that they are at least giving it SACD support, however, you will have to own a HDMI receiver to benefit from any of the advanced sound.
Old 05-27-06, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well that is some good news. At least if I buy a PS3 at launch and my new TV and a new receiver I will have everything I will need.

This will be an expensive year. Glad I am already divorced
Old 05-27-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The Dolby TrueHD logo may mean that the console can decode a TrueHD stream, but doesn't necessarily mean it will output it in full quality. It may only output it in 2-channels the way the HD-DVD players (which also have a TrueHD logo prominently displayed on the front) do.
Old 05-27-06, 11:17 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The Dolby TrueHD logo may mean that the console can decode a TrueHD stream, but doesn't necessarily mean it will output it in full quality.

Exactly. Decoding TrueHD does not mean the PS3 will definately have HDMI 1.3. I would think it would unwise for Sony to claim they will definately have HDMI 1.3, considering that connector is still vaporware (although Sony did make a big stink about how the PS3 would have dual-HDMI ports and we see how that worked out).
Old 05-27-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sanyo have completely dropped their HD DVD player from their listings having previously said it would drop in the first wave in March. For some reason they aren't coming in for the same opprobrium. I've gotta wonder why, since they have also broken a "promise". Features drop and products get delayed throughout the CE industry: why is this seen as a trait of only one multinational? It's irrational.
Old 05-27-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Features drop and products get delayed throughout the CE industry: why is this seen as a trait of only one multinational? It's irrational.
Probably because that one multinational has more apologists for its broken promises than most others combined. That is irrational.
Old 05-27-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who's apologised for the dual HDMI being dropped?
Old 05-27-06, 12:41 PM
mbs

Features drop and products get delayed throughout the CE industry: why is this seen as a trait of only one multinational? It's irrational.
My point in bringing up dual-HDMI was not to state that Sony breaks promises and drops features. I agree, everyone does. I meant it rather an example of why thinking "the PS3 will definately have HDMI 1.3 because Sony said so in March" is probably not safe thinking.

I have no idea if HDMI 1.3 will make it into the PS3, but it is certainly not a given. I'm guessing Sony (and others like Toshiba) are putting pressure on the HDMI group to get 1.3 out the door. But it isn't finalized yet and who knows when it will be.

I hope 1.3 does make it in the PS3 (because I want to pick up a PS3 at some point), but there is just no reason to assume it'll definately be in there based on what we know today.
Old 05-27-06, 12:44 PM
mbs

Who's apologised for the dual HDMI being dropped?
Being an apologist has nothing to do with apologizing.

Last edited by mbs; 05-27-06 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-27-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
My point in bringing up dual-HDMI was not to state that Sony breaks promises and drops features. I agree, everyone does. I meant it rather an example of why thinking "the PS3 will definately have HDMI 1.3 because Sony said so in March" is probably not safe thinking.

I have no idea if HDMI 1.3 will make it into the PS3, but it is certainly not a given. I'm guessing Sony (and others like Toshiba) are putting pressure on the HDMI group to get 1.3 out the door. But it isn't finalized yet and who knows when it will be.

I hope 1.3 does make it in the PS3 (because I want to pick up a PS3 at some point), but there is just no reason to assume it'll definately be in there based on what we know today.
I totally agree, HDMI 1.3 (0r 2.0 if it's renamed) would be nice: if it can be finished in time. Kenny K said something about wanting it a while back, so it's possible (combined with the 6 month delay) that it might be available.

As to my post, it wasn't in truth directed mainly at yours, but at the pervading atmosphere that Sony is somehow unique in breaking it's word to the consumer. Notice how I'm apparently an "apolgist" for Sony now that I've pointed out all companies break deadlines and drop features. The bitterness and hatred towards one multinational amazes me. It's just the same as /. having their clique pissing circle for MS. Madness.
Old 05-27-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
Being an apologist has nothing to do with apologizing.
Defended; Apologised for - does the variation really alter anything? But you're right, I'll try to maintain better definition in my sentences.
Old 05-27-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
So is this thing going to upconvert SD DVDs as well?
Old 05-27-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
So is this thing going to upconvert SD DVDs as well?
I find that highly doubtful, but the low end one definitely can't since most SD DVDs can't be upconverted over component.
Old 05-27-06, 03:08 PM
mbs

Defended; Apologised for - does the variation really alter anything? But you're right, I'll try to maintain better definition in my sentences.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be snotty. I just remarked on it because I thought it would be humorous. Here are two definitions:

(1) a person who argues to defend or justify some policy or institution; "an apologist for capital punishment"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

(2) Apologetics is the field of study concerned with the systematic defense of a position. Someone who engages in apologetics is called an apologist.The term comes from the Greek word apologia (Ἀπολογία), meaning the defense of a position against an attack, not from the English word apology, which is exclusively understood as a defensive plea for forgiveness for an action that is open to blame. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apologist

Just more of a defense of a point rather than apologizing for it. But yeah, tangential to any discussion here...
Old 05-27-06, 03:10 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by darkside
I find that highly doubtful, but the low end one definitely can't since most SD DVDs can't be upconverted over component.
I don't see why the HDMI one would not output an upconverted signal. It might not be processed as nicely as a stand-alone upconverting player (but who knows, it could), but I would imagine it would upconvert over HDMI.

But yeah, the lower-tier won't be able to. Upconverting SD-DVDs over component (or any non-digital) connections is disallowed by macrovision copy protection.
Old 05-27-06, 03:12 PM
mbs

Notice how I'm apparently an "apolgist" for Sony now that I've pointed out all companies break deadlines and drop features. The bitterness and hatred towards one multinational amazes me.
I wouldn't consider you a Sony apologist, but plenty do exist. The reason people tend to dislike Sony stems (IMO) from their arrogance (not Sony supporters, but Sony iteself). Saying things like "the Next generation doesn't start until we say it does" rubs people the wrong way.
Old 05-27-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
Every high definition player is a rip off. The Playstation 3 is by far the best way to get your moneys worth.
I just picked up an HD-A1 on Friday for 464.51 after tax at BB.

I don't feel ripped off. That's not including the RZ certificates that I'll end up getting (might be enough to get me $10 there).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.